Modulus BASSSTAR Fan Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iriegnome, Dec 25, 2009.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    Well, I know very little about them, I know they are pretty rare, I own one and there are a few others out there who do as well. Gotta post a pic to get a number!
    [​IMG]
    Mine is a 1978 (ish) 5 string neck through. It also has a Quantum style headstock. According to Geoff, they did not make them, but I have one. It has a Bartolini pup system. I spoke to bartolini and they do not have any spec's on my system and there are no records on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Hoover

Hoover Banned

In fairness to Geoff's recollection, that's not really a Quantum style headstock; it's just more Quantum-esque than it is BassStar-esque. Back in the 70's & early 80's before Modulus had names for their different models, there were a whole lot more one-offs and non-standardized shapes coming out of their shop.

Still a cool bass ya got there, and definitely the only neck-through I've ever seen that was labelled "BassStar"
  3. LightGroove

LightGroove

A bass club dedicated to your bass...sounds kind of ...uh

:bag:
  4. iriegnome

Media:
    There are a bunch of people here who have bassstar basses. Sounds kind of... Cool? Why should people join a group who have similar likes and knowledge about a specific... Oh, that would mean the Modulus club, Precision club, Hondo Club, 5'ers club, Elrick club, and the thousand more clubs that are about people who love a certain kind of bass, company or style get together and share stories, ideas and information about what they like.
    Gee, a kind of rare bass that only a few people own, can't imagine why we would have a thread dedicated to that.. My bass just happens to be one of them. My bass just happens to be pretty unique as far as I can tell..
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iriegnome

Media:
    Nothing personal with Geoff's recollection at all. Yes, it REALLY is a Quantum STYLE headstock. No it is not EXACTLY a Quantum headstock. But is most certainly is NOT the typicall Bassstar either. From what I know, quite a few of these very early Modulus' were custom. Since they were all hand made, I guess that makes them all custom. I really would love to see another one with the neck through. I think that this one has a few things in the rare catagory. 1 it is a 5 string. 2 it's a neck through. 3 The non-fender style headstock...
    I know there are other people with Bassstar's out there...
  7. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I don't have one...but I always wanted one!!
  8. LightGroove

LightGroove

I hear ya man...not trying to be a jerk or start an argument...Just seems kind of....superficial to me...

Considering the limited response to your thread I think Im not far off....

Ive never really figured out the club thing I spose.

Oh...is that Mars cheese place still around in Kenosha...??? I remember that big rat when I was a child.
  9. jellymax

jellymax

how did you determine the age?
  10. iriegnome

Media:
    No issues at all.. All Good.. Really.
    All clubs are pretty much the same.. Look at my gear kind of thing. I like them. It gives me an idea of what else is out there and what others think of the gear that they have.
    There is going to be a very limited number of posts since
    very few people have these wonderful basses
  11. iriegnome

Media:
    There were a bunch of factors. When I had the bass refretted, because of the design (or something like that) of the graphite helpped determine it a little. Also, from the pickups. That was part. From the name, bassstar, and a 5 string was a little. The age of mine is not exact however since there are no remaining records from this era of Modulus. But, with all the information I have (very little by the way) it is determined it is somewhere in the 1977-1979 age, so I just use 1978 for sake of argument. Since there is no serial number, just the Patent number, that is what we have to go on.
  12. moosewood

moosewood

I'd like to see the type of weave on the back of your neck. I highly doubt that your bass is that old.
  13. iriegnome

Media:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture of the back and the neck. Pay no attention to the chip, it was repaired
  14. Band Dad

Band Dad

I have one. I'll have to find a previous thread in which it's shown. I like the idea of a club. I'd love to find more info on what it is I have.

I was told it's an '83. Fender-style neck labeled BaSSStar. No weave or TLD pattern. ESP body with EMGs of that era (PJ pickup arrangement). I believe it was originally passive, as someone dug out space for a battery. Seven or eight-ply pick guard (changed to a Fender P guard).

Mine has a number on the neck heel like 306 or something. I've heard they didn't have serial numbers so maybe that's a style number.

I'll definitely be lurking here hoping to learn more. I'll post a pic when I can.
  15. iriegnome

Media:
    So, I guess you will be #2 in our little club! I don't expect to many members, since I don't really think there are many around, but I am interested in finding out as much as I can about this wonderful bass
  16. Band Dad

Band Dad

iriegnome, here's a thread with pics of what I have: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497722 I've since swapped out the pick guard for a Fender P guard (black also).

I've had the neck on a couple of Fender bodies; the last being a MIA P in two-color sunburst, and the thing was beautiful. However, the neck doesn't have a truss rod and the relief was a bit too much. I'd like to to try this on a P body again (stock body has been messed with a bit). Here's a link to a thread where I rendered an idea: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512208
  17. iriegnome

Media:
    Since mine has no truss rod either, my local luthier had to pull the frets, mill the fretboard to a correct radius for the bass and then sink the bridge into the body a touch. It now plays as good if not better than any other bass I have and it is my main bass!
  18. moosewood

moosewood

OK...very weird. No weave pattern at all. I have never seen one without a weave pattern at least on the back of the neck. My neckthru is a semi-hollowbody that has the checkerboard (square) weave pattern with the Fender style headstock. There is no pattern on the part that goes through the body. My old bolt on has the original chopped pattern and yes the number on the heel of the neck is the serial number. Mine is 0022. I like the idea of a club for these wonderful old pieces of history!
  19. moosewood

moosewood

20. Band Dad

Band Dad

I love that neck thru. Must sound killer!

Yeah, no weave on mine. Solid black.

I'm sure I read that there were no serial numbers for these. Though, what would that heel number be other than a serial number? Mine, I believe, is a three digit number.
  21. iriegnome

Media:
    Would you mind reposting them here on this thread? I would love to see them.