Modulus Identification

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FriedFingers, Sep 6, 2013.

1. FriedFingers

FriedFingers

Hi there.
    I'm about to buy some kind of "devastated Modulus Bass" and starting by the fact to make my house to look like a Bass reserve !

I fell in love with that bass so i want to save it but i can't identify it :(

It's definitely a Modulus neck but i'm not sure that the whole instrument is from Modulus ??

Please if someone could help according to the picts below ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks guys !

Ps: Sorry for begging for help in my first post but i really don't know what to say to introduce myself and anyway ... who cares about ? :smug:
  2. Hidesert

Hidesert Supporting Member

Wish I could help more, but I don't know much other than to say its an early (80's) Modulus neck from the pre-quantum series. I don't know about the body. Also, I cannot believe that the string tree, stuck in the middle of the company's logo, is part of the original design, but who knows?
    Hope you can get a little more help from someone who owns a similar bass.
  3. FriedFingers

FriedFingers

Event thanks for your kind and fast answer Hidesert ! ;-)
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

It looks kinda like an SPX, but the lower horn isn't right. The upper horn certainly looks like a Modulus though. The string tree shouldn't be on that neck, so that's been added.

How much do they want for it?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FriedFingers

FriedFingers

Thx bassgod0dmw, i pay 500euros (more or less 500$) for it.
    Ni pickups, no electronic, no ... thing.
    So i'll have full choice to equip (Nordstrand, Delano, .... P.U / Noll, Nordstrand, Audere ... preamp ?)
  7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

It does look a lot like a neck my instructor got in '84 on his G&L, except his was 4 string. There were not a lot of 5 strings on the market at that time.
  8. FriedFingers

FriedFingers

Great, thx lowphat. That means that "it could be" a replacement neck if the head shape fits to your instructor one.
  9. bassgod0dmw

That translates to $655 for all the US guys. Not too bad as long as it's in decent shape and it's a Modulus body.

I'd be somewhat concerned about the string tree. Make sure that there are no cracks in the headstock under it. If the headstock is like my Q5, it'll be hollow which could exacerbate the crack. I kinda doubt there would be an issue, it's just something to look out for.

I'd also make sure there is no extra routing (bridge, electronics cavity, etc.)
  10. FriedFingers

FriedFingers

I'm not sure it's a modulus body ... that's the reason of my post here.
    Concerning the string tree, there's no crack on the other side of the head as you could see below :

[​IMG]
  11. donk

donk

bolt on or neck through? body shape looks like the neck through
  12. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Headstock doesn't look like any SPX I've ever seen; those are/were always symmetrical ime.

Also of note, neither cutaway is nearly as deep as any SPX -- or, for that matter, any Modulus period -- I've ever seen. Makes me think it's either one of the very early non-BassStar parts basses Modulus cobbled together for a customer, or that some previous owner scanenged that neck from a different Modulus bass and slapped it on a totaly unrelated body.
  13. StephenR

StephenR

Suggest you contact Geoff Gould. He is generally very helpful in providing info about the older Modulus basses.

geoff@ggould.com

If you are on Facebook you could also contact him through the G. Gould Music Facebook page.
  14. elgecko

elgecko

I've seen older Moduli with that body style. I say it's a Modulus body.
  15. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

Headstock looks like a Moses I used to have.
  16. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Those cutaways definitely say Modulus to me. And based on the shape of the headstock, I'm thinking it's pre-1990.
  17. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Check out the bass on the far left...

[​IMG]
  18. elgecko

elgecko

19. FriedFingers

FriedFingers

THANKS ALL !!
    I may say we've got several winners and, for me, the last link from elgecko makes it clear . I'd say it's the same one, so certainly some kind of Modulus Pre Quantum made in 80's.

This may not be the best from modulus but a kind of collector, no ? Anyway, i'm so excited about having another Modulus and i've got no 5 strings for now that i definitely go for it !

Next step, once received, i'll post you some more picts and take some advices for the pickups and preamp choice.

Thank you all ;-)
  20. bassgod0dmw

You wouldn't see a crack on the back, the headstock is hollow. You'd only see it on the front directly under the string tree. As mentioned, I doubt it's an issue, but it depends how the tree was installed. If they drilled a pilot hole I'm sure it's fine. If they just drove the screw right in, that would be the concern.

Although the "80's Modulus 5 String" link below does have 2 string trees on it. I'm still not convinced it was factory though.

I'm sure it's nothing, just worth a quick look the next time you go and check it out.

That looks to be an SPX based on the lower cutaway.
  21. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

And notice how the lower cutaway in that pic is considerably deeper than the lower cutaway in the OP pic.