1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Modulus Necks: VJ4 vs. Quantum 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slowburn, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Slowburn

Slowburn

Can anyone share some insight on the differences in feel and action from the vj4 vs. the quantum 5? weird question i know, but i have my reasoning.

Thanks so much in advance!!!

2. Slowburn

Slowburn

basically, is there a big difference? Modulus experts?

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman

Well, one is a 34" 4-strings neck with 21 frets and 19mm spacing, and one is a 35" scale 5-string neck with 24 frets and 17mm spacing. What aspect of the necks is it that you want compared, exactly?

4. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

^^^+1

In essence, there is a huge difference between them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. elgecko

elgecko

The VJ neck is more traditionally shaped (i.e. symmetrical) in cross section. The Q5 neck is asymetrical (like an airplane wing).

EDIT: Disclaimer - This is for pre-truss necks. I haven't played the newer Q5s.

7. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    The Quantum necks also depends on the year. My 1990 Q6 neck is very flat on the back and makes the newer ones feel like baseball bats.

8. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman

I've had 2 Q5s--one non-trussrod from the 90's, one with truss rod from 2009--and neither had an asymmetrical neck. What year is/was yours from?

9. elgecko

elgecko

1993. It's thicker along the B-string side than along the G-side. ..and it's more pronounced at the nut than at the 24th fret...or is it the other way around?

10. Quackhead

Quackhead

My Q5 did not have an asymmetrical neck either.

11. elgecko

elgecko

Odd...what year?

12. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

My Q5 is a 2004 and isn't asymmetrical either. It is fairly thin front to back too, nothing like a baseball bat. It might be the thinnest neck I've got, and that include a Lakland and a Sadowsky.

13. Slowburn

Slowburn

Bump for more discussion on quantum necks, that's the info I'm after! Thanks !

14. elgecko

elgecko

Regarding symmetry, I tried to measure the thickness on my Q5 with a pair of cheap, plastic calipers but couldn't come up with any meaningful measurements. With my hand though, I feel the neck tapering slightly towards the G side, most noticeably between the nut and the fourth fret.

As mentioned above, they're very thin front-to-back and relatively flat. Really great feeling necks. Legend has it that Michael Tobias carved the necks that the original molds were made from.

15. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I'd heard that too, but thought it only pertained to the through-body TBX models circa 1993. Only played one of those Quantum-5 TBX basses once and to be honest didn't notice whether or not the neck was asymmetrical.

fwiw my 1988 Quantum 6-string neck seems symmetrical.

16. Hidesert

Hidesert

My Q5 has a moderately wide-thin neck profile, definitely symmetrical. I think that scale and string spacing are the defining parameters between the two models, and thin /early/no truss rod vs. chunky/newer/truss rod defines the different neck profiles within a particular model.
    I have owned a Modulus for about a week, so that makes me an expert, right?

17. Quackhead

Quackhead

I'm not sure. I sold it a few years back. It was probably a late 90's model though. And I am absolutely positive that it wasn't asymmetrical.

18. Slowburn

Slowburn

thanks for the discussion. Love learning through your experiences. bump for more!