Modulus Q5: Bartolinis vs. Duncan NYC Soapbars, sound clips

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by smarvelous, Dec 20, 2011.

1. smarvelous

smarvelous

I found the barts too dark. The idea with the Seymour Duncan Basslines Passive Phase II NYC soapbars was to get some more mids and cut the lows a little. I made some high quality recordings to document the change.

Modulus Q5: Bartolini's vs. Duncan NYC Soapbars by smarvelous on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I'm effing thrilled. They're less noisy and have detailed mids and still have a nice low end. I have yet to try them in rehearsal/gig but I think I hit the jackpot here: this is very good upgrade for a Q5 with Barts.

Note: in the recordings I am using TI jazz flats. Really like these on the Q5, less string tension, no clacking. But it is quite different than round wounds.

Note 2: the NYC pole pieces are slightly off at the 1st and 5th strings (the pickups were designed for a wider string spacing) I don't think it affects the tone. You can see this in the bass player review that actually tested them in a Q5, which is how I got the idea to try it. http://www.bassplayer.com/TabId/177/Default.aspx?ArticleId=4850

2. dropztuning

dropztuning

sounds sick i cant wait for my modulus to be built:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper: