1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Modulus Q5: Bartolinis vs. Duncan NYC Soapbars, sound clips

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by smarvelous, Dec 20, 2011.

1. smarvelous

smarvelous

I found the barts too dark. The idea with the Seymour Duncan Basslines Passive Phase II NYC soapbars was to get some more mids and cut the lows a little. I made some high quality recordings to document the change.

Modulus Q5: Bartolini's vs. Duncan NYC Soapbars by smarvelous on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I'm effing thrilled. They're less noisy and have detailed mids and still have a nice low end. I have yet to try them in rehearsal/gig but I think I hit the jackpot here: this is very good upgrade for a Q5 with Barts.

Note: in the recordings I am using TI jazz flats. Really like these on the Q5, less string tension, no clacking. But it is quite different than round wounds.

Note 2: the NYC pole pieces are slightly off at the 1st and 5th strings (the pickups were designed for a wider string spacing) I don't think it affects the tone. You can see this in the bass player review that actually tested them in a Q5, which is how I got the idea to try it. http://www.bassplayer.com/TabId/177/Default.aspx?ArticleId=4850
  2. dropztuning

dropztuning

sounds sick i cant wait for my modulus to be built:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper: