"Mojo" vs "Scratched up-abused"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Dec 20, 2013.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

To me there is a major difference between the two.

Now, I have a 71 Fender Musicmaster Bass that some fool refined clear and even went so far as spraying the pickguard black!:bawl:

Thankfully the bass is original otherwise and is very resonant and a featherweight.:bassist:

I don't know what to do with it now.....what would you folks do, refin it to original?

Otoh, my 48 Fender Deluxe tweed amp has some some water stains on the bottom of the very rare straight tweed and I HAD to replace the bottom baffle screws (rusted out)....this amp has MOJO imo despite some telling me it needs recovered:scowl:...

What do you do with a guitar or bass you've bought for cheap where someone carves their name or something else or it has a major scratch across the front from a pissed off girlfriend?

Is this considered "Mojo" by some?
  2. Temcat

Temcat

I have almost exactly the bass you described when referring to a pissed off girlfriend. It's not mine but my friend's, and it was not a girlfriend but his ex-wife who did it. She attempted to destroy it (and several other guitars and basses) with an *axe* - but only succeeded in a limited way. It has scars on the body, but nothing serious on the neck and fretboard (in fact, I've just had the fretboard repaired since I'm supposed to start playing this bass regularly soon).

I see the damage this bass has as mojo. I define mojo for myself as some damage, whether natural or not, that gives an instrument a soul, and a rock-n-roll soul at that. I think this qualifies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the crappy pics, but they give you an idea.
  3. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

That's punk rock there, man. Punk rock. :bassist:
  4. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AudioDwebe

AudioDwebe Supporting Member

I wouldn't consider the bass as having mojo based on the ax gashes.

To me, mojo would be the actual wear and tear from playing and playing only. Falls off the stand and busts the head stock...not mojo. Slips off the strap and crashes to the floor...not mojo.

Huge difference between mojo and just plain abused. Mojo must be earned.
  7. RxFunk

RxFunk

Took the words out of my mouth.
  8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Mojo: A naturally road worn instrument that has been played for decades and has been a player's workhorse and constant companion throughout life's ups & downs.

Scratched up / abused: Refer to pics above...

Added comment: +1 to AudioDwebe's thought
  9. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

I have an OLP MM style bass that a previous owner`s now ex-wife beat the living hell out of. She used it to dent the fenders in on his dodge truck! That, taking a hammer to it and other things really hurt the finish(and certain other parts). I have not gotten around to it, but I am planning on de-fretting it(some frets were missing/damaged).

What I did was sand it until it was smooth enough to play(which resulted in places all over showing the wood through the black), and cleared it in a satin. Looks sweet with the black pearled guard. Not mojo though, but it has earned the look.

OTOH, my old Kent had a huge epoxy spot on the front from some jackass attaching an ozzy emblem with an entire tube of JB weld. I stripped the whole front and stained it, now in the process of try-oiling it for clear. Still sunburst on the back. It is nice overall, and I could`t live with the screwed up finish.

-Jake
  10. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Nope! Mojo was just a clever way to say jacked up... And idiots bought into it.
  11. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Regardless of anything related to mojo or whatever - that bass tells a real-life story and part of me thinks I would leave it exactly as is.., unless of course it is a constant reminder of what sounded like a 'tense' situation that I'd want to put behind me :rolleyes: Hey, at least it was the bass that got the axe from the ex... :p

As JennySuzuki sez' - punk rock man!
  12. bassbenj

bassbenj

I agree that any significant, especially extreme, real-life story that is represented on the finish of a bass is mojo. As we all know sometimes that is just a great many years paying dues on tours and in dive bars. That's cool. But the ex-wife axe chops are equal mojo to me. It's a soap opera story that's right in the surface of the bass. Can't ask for more in a punk or blues bass!

On the other hand, bass damage that is simply examples of high school teen stupidity and ideas that obviously had no basis in logic, sense or reality (and you know we've ALL been guilty of some of these back when) is simply making the bass a monument to noob stupidity which in my mind is not mojo.
  13. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Mojo vs Scratched up-abused

Mojo = viewpoint from someone trying to sell the bass

Scratched up-abused = viewpoint from potential buyers
  14. mongo2

mongo2

+1

Speaking of mojo...

Did someone say "mojo"?

Say kids, what time is it?

It's Moj-O-Matic time!

OK kids, it's time once again for a word from our sponsor:

Announcing another fine product from MongCo® Enterprises a division of YouCantGetAwayWiddat Industries,LLC.

Presenting the new and improved Moj-O-Matic™ with the revolutionary Mojo-In-A-Minute® technology. Now with the new and amazingly ineffective Funk-O-Riffic® String Dip™ for lubricating the strings and enhancing their Phunk-O-Phonic® quotient.

A 5 second dip in the Funk-O-Riffic® String Dip™ using the patented Saf-T-Matic™ tongs while wearing the included No-See-Um™ goggles is all it takes to renew, refresh, revitalize, rejuvenate, and otherwise make your strings sound like they've been dipped in it.

After the dip simply microwave the patented Mucho-Mojo® packet now with extra What's-That-Smell™ Black Cat Bone for one minute. Slather it on your instrument with the patented Ten-Foot-Pole™ applicator and prepare to be amazed at your PhunkySelf™.

Be the envy of your friends. Call 1-000-GET-MOJO right now. Some real operators are standing by.

"It's Mojo, Mofo."®™©

Offer void in Perpetuity. Close cover before striking. If condition persists consult a physician. Not available in states, countries, or planets with consonants or vowels in their name. Any resemblence to any product living or dead is purely coincidental and if you think the MongCo® Moj-O-Matic™ is real you're crazier than I am.
  15. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

The nice thing about the jazz is a pickguard being installed would cover most of the axe damage.
  16. deathsdj

deathsdj

This.

I like my stuff to look as good as possible. It just makes me feel better. But then I buy basses to play with no real thought about resale value or mojo or keeping things stock.
  17. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Why pay more?
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

IME there's no logic in arguments that "mojo" has to be natural/incidental/accidental. I've seen natural mojo that looks ugly, and deliberate relicing that looks fantastic.

But to answer the OP: the difference between "mojo" and "abused" is whatever you think it is.
  19. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I think Buckle Rash is abuse and never MOJO. It takes 2 seconds to spin your belt to a non abusive location.
  20. spade2you

spade2you

Explain to me how belt buckle rash enhances anything?

That's what I thought. :bag:
  21. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

If buckle rash is what you like in a bass, then it enhances the ownership of said bass. Plus it can be used for haggling to get a lower price.

/devil`s advocate. Though the last part can be helpful, particularly if you are buying it to strip and refinish.