1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Money Management

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Truktek2, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Truktek2

Truktek2

So, just curious. What programs are you guys using to manage your money?

I used to use Microsoft Money, but has since become obsolete. Quicken seems to be good, but PC only.Looked into Mint, but honestly have a little trouble putting out all my financial info out into webland for fear of all you hackers. (I am a multi-thousandaire you know :))

Anyone know any programs that can run on a pc and yet sync to an android phone so I have access 24/7?

Come on you yungin's help an old timer out.
  2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

A notepad and a pen. Seriously. Ive been managing my finances just fine for the last few years without incident.
  3. Truktek2

Truktek2

That'll work no doubt, but I thought of streamlining the process so I can update on the fly rather than wait to get home to plug the numbers. Unless you literally walk around with a pad and pen all day. That seems a little tedious though. :eek:
  4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Well, I dont carry a pad and pen around, but what I do is keep my balance in mind. I tend to check it at least once a day on weekdays, so I know how much I have available to spend. I just keep track of my spending until I can check it again. I get paid on Fridays, first thing I do is pay my bills for the week.
  5. Balog

Balog Supporting Member

EEBA is an very useful android (and iphone for that matter) app that my wife and I use. Not sure if it has a computer component or not.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

If you are truly concerned about security, don't put any of your financial life on a mobile phone. Especially one with an Android OS.

-Mike
  7. fmoore200

fmoore200

Why not? I do online banking from my phone occasionally and have never had a problem, is there something I don't know? I'm not the must tech savvy person, so please inform me...
  8. Truktek2

Truktek2

Really? Is it more susceptible to being hacked? I'm kinda new to this. I Actually thought of making a spreadsheet in excel and uploading via google for myself, but seemed like alot of work.
  9. MJ5150

Malware attacks targeted at the Android OS spiked in 2012, and will continue to grow in 2013. Some reports indicate Android OS attacks surpass attacks on the Windows OS.

Besides that, they are easy to lose or misplace. Most people have no protection on their device and no way to remotely manage it if they do lose/misplace it.

I love the Android OS, it's great. The bad thing about it being open source and overtaking Apple for mobile device sales is it has the attention of hackers worldwide. I don't keep any apps on my device that collect or display information about my finances or health. Why health? PHI (protected health information) is a hot commodity for identity thieves. Big, big money in the underground trading of PHI.

-Mike
  10. Truktek2

Truktek2

Wow, good to know. I had no idea. But like Fmoore said, does that include online banking apps? Would that be the same as accessing your bank through your home pc?
  11. MJ5150

The online risk is there in both situations. For me, it is a bigger risk on my mobile device since that is easier to lose than my home computer. There are security measures you can take at home and on your Android device to reduce your exposure to much of the malware. Everyone should at least be doing that.

Here is a link to some tips for protecting your mobile device: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/11/08/mobile-phone-theft-tips/

Where are you at in Queens? I was in Jackson Heights recently.

-Mike
  12. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I use my mind. I know the money I have, what's coming in and when as well as knowing what bills I have to pay and when. It works well for me, I guess I'd use a notebook if I could not keep track but I don't have much to keep track of being a student.
  13. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

I use a spreadsheet program I wrote. Started on Quattro Pro in the 90's and used that til this Summer when I got my Mac. Changed over to Numbers (which is adequate, but not much more), and might change to Excel. Never been a fan of Excel, but my boy says its the best one for the Mac.

I really like playing with spreadsheets, so this was a natural. I also haven't found any program that does everything I need to do.
  14. fmoore200

fmoore200

Thanks for the info Mike. Not sure if the queens question was for me, but I work in flushing...

PS sorry for the hijack OP..
  15. tplyons

tplyons

I use Quicken at home (2007) and update everything once or twice a week. Helps for forecasting out my financial situation.

I use Mint.com as well, and use the mobile app to get a snapshot where I am now.

Both are part of intuit.
  16. suckybassplaya

suckybassplaya

Ok, so first off, I work in IT Security, so I generally try to keep myself and my gadgets somewhat secure :)

With that being said, I use Mint for my finances. And I have an Android phone, with the Mint mobile app. Mint is read-only. If someone gets into your Mint account, they can see what banks you use and what your balances are, but that is it (which could potentially be used for indentity-theft in some matter, but it isn't as straightforward as getting right into one of your bank accounts). You don't have to put any type of personally identifiable information into mint if you don't want to. Just don't use the same password for your banking information as you use for Mint.

As for Android, yes there is lot of malware out there. But, generally, if you stick to the Google Market (AKA Google Play), you should be safe. A lot of malware is running around on all the various 3rd party markets. There have been some instances where malware has gotten into the Play Market, but Google has responded fairly quickly.

I also run Lookout which is a free android app, and scans all your apps for malware. It also has a "find my phone" feature if you want to turn that on in case your phone is stolen/misplaced. There is also the Prey Project, which does the "find my device" thing, and also supports other devices (Windows, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android).

The Mint Android app also allows you to set a PIN to get into the app before you can see any information. I would suggest that you set a device PIN for your entire phone, in general, so as to protect all your information. But if you decide not to do that, at least set the Mint PIN, so that can't be viewed as easily.

HTH.
  17. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

+1

I check my balance and bring it all up to date about every two days ,,,caught a gas station double charging me charging month ago .....
  18. Truktek2

Truktek2

That's food for thought. I need to start thinking more in terms of security. I'm in Astoria. Jackson heights is only about 3miles away. I hope you got to enjoy the city!

I'm thinking that's probably the safest. I've just got to make time to actually sit down and do it.

I had to grab the Q16 on mainstreet to go to highschool. Those were the days :)

Thanks for the info bassplaya. Lots of good info there. Now I have to look into lookout, since malware hadn't even crossed my mind. :eek:
  19. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

I use a couple of Excel spreadsheets. One is my checkbook, one is my budget. On the budget spreadsheet, there is a column for each pay period. At the top is how much money I have at the beginning of the period, followed by how much I get paid at the beginning of the period, followed by all expenses. At the bottom is how much is left at the end of the period. The trick is to make sure this last number never goes below zero :) The ending balance then flows automatically to the beginning of the next period.

I'll be happy to send a blank copy to anyone who wants it. I'm sure it will run in Open Office if you don't have Excel. You can use Documents to Go or some other app to edit it on your phone.
  20. Mike M.

Mike M.

I've done it this way all my life and have never had a problem either....except when I was married. :rollno: