1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Monk Montgomery's Fender Bass F/S on ebay, OMG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kirk Bryant, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Kirk Bryant

Kirk Bryant

2. DJ Bebop

DJ Bebop

3. bearhart74

bearhart74

It should be in the smithsonian
  4. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

It's not going sound any better than a real-world priced p-bass. Geeze.
  5. DJ Bebop

DJ Bebop

It's a jazz
  6. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Precisely.

jk
  7. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Ha! It's all scratched up, too.
  8. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

I stick by my original statement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Kirk Bryant

Kirk Bryant

Damn now I'm curious. His 50's P looks like my 57 S/Coil tabaco/burst.
  10. Kirk Bryant

Kirk Bryant

the bass on EB is 8-9 K I'm thinking some authentification is in order !!?? Johnk where are you????
  11. DJ Bebop

DJ Bebop

I get that he was know for playing a P bass but, the bass in question is a jazz touted as being his :)
  12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

So the seller wants $51grand for a CBS-era Jazz bass owned by a person 99.99999% of people never heard of? Jesus, where would his pricing be if he had a more collectible instrument owned by someone people could recognize?
  13. FrednBass

FrednBass

I'd buy it, if i had the money....
  14. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Actually the Montgomery Brothers, Monk (bass), Buddy (vibes) and Wes (guitar) are well known in Jazz circles. Monk was one of the first bassists to introduce the electric bass to Jazz when most Jazz bassists of that era were using the double bass exclusively.
  15. Hobobob74

Hobobob74

A legend, no doubt.
  16. overdrivethree

overdrivethree

If it's the bass from Bass Odyssey and Reality, then I'd sure like to have it.

Two criminally underrated...heck, almost entirely unknown albums.
  17. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Exactly.

People who are deep into jazz may be familiar with Monk Montgomery, but that doesn't count for much. If this were the first Precision that Fender gave Montgomery, then maybe.... maaaaaaaaaaaayyyyybe this bass would be worth somewhere near that kind of dough. But it would have to be the right person on the right day.

This bass, the one on ebay now.... it's just a CBS Jazz that an obscure player used to own. That bass on it's own is worth around $6grand. Everything after that is based on the name identification of Monk Montgomery. That might throw an extra grand or two on top of the six it's worth, but not more.
  18. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

I understand that this kind of item is priced so high because of the potential demand for a bass owned by a famous bassist, but personally I don't see the appeal. I'd pay top dollar for a particularly good bass, but not for something that's expensive just because someone famous (or not so famous) owned it. But that's just me.
  19. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

He was a heck of a detective despite his extreme OCD issues.

:bag:
  20. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Those familiar with the general history of electric instruments know exactly who Monk Montgomery is. He took a gamble back when it was truly a gamble, at least image-wise. Not only that, he was a featured player in one of the top-drawing big bands of the day, Lionel Hampton, among many credited with laying the foundation of what became R&B and rock&roll. His contribution is significant and the pedigree is 100% legit, whether you're a fan or not.

There is much that is dubious about this auction—firstly and foremostly the ridiculous price tag on an instrument that wasn't even THE instrument. You can count your way back from there.

The market will decide, for sure. But all it takes is one fool and his money.

Personally, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for any musical instrument, regardless of its provenance.