Mono Bridges vs Standard Bridges

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DaveH51, Dec 10, 2013.

1. DaveH51

DaveH51

Hi guys, long time no post!
    I'm currently building a Bitsa bass and have been toying with the idea of using mono bridges, instead of going the normal route.
    Are there any advantages or are they too fiddly for they're own good? Do they need to be positioned in line or at an angle to each other, or what?
    It may be obvious to someone out there!!
    Cheers
    Dave
  2. JustForSport

JustForSport

I've gotten noticeably better frequency separation when one piece bridges were replaced by single-string bridges- less sympathetic vibrations.
    As far as not being a 'high-mass bridge' and any perceived benefits from that, I don't know. Just make sure they're mounted solidly.
    Same adjustment ranges- intonation along with saddle height and locking saddles to give solid anchoring are available. The bases on some are located in small routs imparting string tension stresses to the body wood directly instead of just through screw shanks.
    The standard intonation difference (varies in actuality) is an additional string's thickness longer for each add'l sting, beginning with the smallest string. The saddle for the first string (smallest) is located at 1/4" or so beyond scale length- 34", 35", etc- from the nut and allowing progressively more (up to 3/8" for 5 or 6 strings) length to saddle for the largest string.
    The only exception to an angled mounting (if desired) is if taper-core strings sometimes used, the larger strings intonate closer to the nut than non-tapered strings and then angled mounting may not allow for the required adjustment range.
    Measuring an assembled, intonated bass will verify these ranges.
    Hope this helps...