1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mono M80, iGig G515 Comparison

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rodneyat, May 21, 2009.

1. rodneyat

rodneyat

OK, I received my iGig 515 yesterday and already have a Mono M80. So, I thought I would write up a quick comparison. Those not familiar with these hybrid bags you can check them out at www.myspace.com/igigbags and http://www.monocase.com

Obviously, just from the domain names, you know who gets the nod as far as "professional looking websites" go. But, that is really just a minor thing. I am sure Miko is working on getting a better website for the iGig stuff soon..I hope.

So, to the cases themselves. A few of the things I look for in a case, useability, construction, size/weight, etc.
    Aesthetically, they look quite different. The M80 has more of a modern space age look and the G515 has a somewhat more traditional look. It kinda reminds me of the old Ritter gig bags. This one is totally subjective..I will leave it up to you to decide

Construction: The interior of these bags is very similar. They both have extra protection around the headstock, a padded block to protect the neck and extra protection for the body and bridge area. The bridge area in the G515 actually has a nice thick pad in it. A nice feature. The neck block in the G515 can also be moved vs the M80 where it is sewn in place. I am not sure if I would ever move it. But, if you wanted to, you can. The seams and handles on both do seem to be very well done. Heavy duty rivets for the handles and heavy duty stitching at the seams for both. Overall, this one is a toss up. Maybe with a slight edge to the M80 only because it has slightly more rigidity to it. Which, IMHO, feels more solid. But that could be subjective too.

Size/Weight: The size of the bags are very similar. Big enough to hold most any "normal" shaped bass but not so big that it would be hard to handle. Weight, the M80 definitely wins. It is a good bit lighter than the G515. Loaded up with a bass, you are probably not really going to be able to tell the difference though.

Features: The G515 is all over this one. The Mono M80 has a small pocket at the top that is really just big enough for some cards, pens, etc. The pouch at the bottom of the M80 is big enough for a cable, tuner(pocket or pedal) and some other small items. That is about it. The iGig G515 is all about space and pouches for stuff. You could put a small light head, music and cables in the front pouch with room to spare. This category has no comparison. The iGig wins hands down.

Misc. thoughts: Some other things that I see at first glance. The straps on both bags make the bag quite high. But, I do understand why this is done. If the straps rode lower on your back, it would put more stress on the neck of the bass. That said, the straps on the iGig do seem to be made slightly better with more support. So, with a heavy bass, it is probably going to feel more comfortable. The iGig also has more handles for carrying. Which, I definitely like. The Mono really only has one on the side and then a small one on the back. The iGig has dual handles on the side, one on the front and one at the top. Definitely a plus. Lastly, the price. The iGig is about $20 cheaper than the M80. Mono just dropped their prices. Previously, there was a $40 difference or so.

Which one is for you is really up to you. In the end, they are both very well made, heavy duty bags that should last a lifetime. For me, I plan to keep both as they both have their own strong merits.

Hope that helps for anyone who is looking at both of these bags.
  2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Nice review, and it matches my feelings about these two bags (I own both).

The primary differences are looks (with the Mono being very sleek and 'modern design' and the iGig looking more traditional), weight (the Mono is really lightweight), and storage (the iGig has a massive advantage there).

Quality is similar, but the 'haute design' vibe of the Mono just makes it feel uber high end.

One other note. It SEEMS that the Mono would be the choice if you have a Nitro finished bass, given the 'cloth' interior. No company will guarantee that a bag (or stand) is 'Nitro safe' (since there are different Nitro formulas and the chemical interaction between Nitro and some plastic material is very complex). However, after emailing with the Mono guys, they are 'reasonable certain' that the Mono will be fine for Nitro finishes.

K
  3. rodneyat

rodneyat

Totally agree, for me, the M80 does "feel"
    slightly better built. But, I do really like the features and compartments of the iGig.
  4. mikoespanol

mikoespanol

Thanks for the review Rodney! We appreciate all the comments and feedback. Please keep it coming since that is the way to go and make a better bag for everyone.

New website will be up soon. The domain's actually been around but I'm still working on the content. The new site will be updated soon.

www.flyigig.com

The GigPillow (block for protecting the neck and body joint) was designed to be removable to fit different kinds of basses. You can adjust it based on how the neck and body joint are constructed. Move it around to best fit your bass.

The bag actually has 4 handles. The main handle, front handle, top handle and bottom handle. We put handles on the top and bottom so it would be easier to unload a bass from your vehicle whichever way you put it. In my car, I usually have my bass lying down in the back side so whichever door I open I can just pull the bag out with the top or bottom handles.

As far as basses with a nitro finish, the material that we use for the inside won't wear it out. This kind of material has been used for padding and interior of cases for the past 20 years. We've also got a few people who use iGIG with their main nitro finished bass fulltime. A couple of my local buddies play AC5's with nitro finish and so far so good. I'll try to get some feedback too from other customers based on their experience with nitro and share it with you guys.
  5. rodneyat

rodneyat

Thanks for chiming in Miko...Not sure how I missed the bottom handle. I guess it is because I have not unloaded it from the bottom side. :)

Great cases..You definitely have the "Swiss Army Knife" of gig bags.
  6. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

FWIW, iGIG Cases are the only instrument carrying utilities that I've ever had G.A.S for, lol. I own a G515 and i still want more!
  7. Tony G

Tony G

Does the Mono bag have enough pocket space to hold a micro amp like the Markbass F1?
  8. rodneyat

rodneyat

In the single bass M80, I would think it would be a VERY tight fit. I dont have an F1 to try but my Shuttle 3.0 just barely fits. I am not sure I would really trust it regularly. In the double M80, the pocket is bigger and it fits fine.
  9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

NO, VERY small main pocket. The iGig is the bag if you want to do that IMO.
  10. Tony G

Tony G

Darn. That's too bad. I had the IGig, but wasn't crazy about it. I like a more rigid, hybrid style gig bag. The gig bag that came with my Nordy actually fits my F1, but I'm still looking for a bag to replace my heavy Incase SlimBag for my MTD (if I don't sell it that is).
  11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The only bag that seems almost as rigid as the inCase is the Sadowsky, and the pocket is nice and big also.

I actually don't find the inCase single bags heavy at all, although I would never want to add an extra 7-10 pounds putting a micro head and all the cables, extension cords, etc. into a bag. That would be too much for my back!
  12. Tony G

Tony G

I'm not walking long distances with it, so it usually isn't any issue for me, but it makes it one less bag I have to carry. Bass and amp on my back, cab in my hands, and I'm good to go. I do find the Incase to be a bit heavier compared to the nice Nordy gig bag I have, but it isn't terrible. I wish the backpack system was a little easier to use on the incase. I've been spoiled by the Nordy gig bag. It is well padded and semi rigid with a comfortable back pack system, and a pocket big enough to fit my F1 and necessary cables. I wish I could get another one of those bags, but without the Nordy "N" on it for my other basses.
  13. rodneyat

rodneyat

Obviously, Cary is not making these bags in his basement. ;)
    Maybe, if you can find out who is making them for him. You could possibly get one there.
  14. Tony G

Tony G

Actually, it was my understanding that he is making them in his basement. :D

No, I've definitely thought of doing just that, but haven't gotten around to it yet. But I'm always up for other options.
  15. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Handles..

I use that bottom and middle handle everytime I haul my iGiG-clad bass around (which is a couple/few times a week). I really like them. The fact that they have not ripped off the heavily loaded bag is a good testimony to its strength and build quality, IMHO.

All my main basses are nitro (AV RI's) and, so far, the finishes (Black, Dakota Red, Oly White) are fine. No clouding, no rubs. I do not leave the basses in the cases very long though.
  16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 I GREATLY prefer the original inCase bag with the high quality but standard straps to that cumbersome alpine system they went to. That's a shame that they did that.

I never hand carry a cab, no matter how small, so my head and stand go on top of the cab on a Kart-a-bag. That results in the weight of a gig bag being a zero issue (with only a bass and cables/tuner in the bag, no bag is heavy enough to be an issue IMO).

K
  17. Buogon

Buogon

I just got my IGIG 515 today ,this seems to be a great bag lot of storage and padding.
    The fact it sits lower than others ( 6' plus guys like myself ),a little easy entering doorways. The tweed is a good look and it fits alot of my basses.
  18. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

I had a IGIG 515 for awhile, but sold it. Biggest reason I moved on is that it was MUCH heavier thanmy standard padded bass bag. It had lots of great features and was well built, but honestly, I wasn't too thrilled with it. I think alot of the features etc added to the weight. I might check into that Mono M80 bag, but all I really need is a bag that has a bigger outer pocket then my current one. For out of town gigs I'd like to get a hard case, but for local stuff a cheap-ish bag works just fine for me.
  19. MirrorRighty

MirrorRighty

20. Tony G

Tony G