MONO M80 Vertigo Bass & Guitar Tick

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by VroomVroom, Sep 11, 2012.

1. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Woo hoo....look what arrived today.

[​IMG]

As always, many thanks to Greg. Customer service beyond reproach. Buying from Rocket couldn't be any easier or more enjoyable.

Ok, on to the goods. As with any gig bag purchase, my concern is with the lowest common denominator....Lull fivers. 35", four-on-top headstock. Add in that I'm [DEL]lazy[/DEL] [DEL]selfish[/DEL] particular and prefer not to remove the strap, and that makes for a pretty darn long bass. I'm very happy to say that, in this test, the Vertigo passes...even better than the regular M80, although I have no explanation why.

In honor of my man Pete and his East Coast Funk Machine, here's the Left Coast version:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of the neck support pieces.

[​IMG]

The front pocket is wide, but not very deep. It comfortably holds two 15' cables, but there's not a lot of extra room.

[​IMG]

(Excuse the blurs, but those are Lava ELC and Lava ELC 'Stadium Edition' cables...both of which can be purchased from Greg while you're opening wallet for the Vertigo. And the Tick.) You'll notice there is an inner zippered pocket, which seems large enough to hold keys, cell phone, and wallet.

So, initial impression #1. M80 Vertigo Bass Bag: GREAT bag. I dig. Totally dig. Bass goes in and out without issue, and seems very well protected. Without arguing exterior dimensions, this seems like a pretty compact bag, and it's certainly light. Very comfortable to wear, also.....one shoulder strap or two.

Now, more about the Guitar Tick. Horrible picture...sorry about that.

[​IMG]

That's pretty much everything (aside from a few tools to be mentioned later) I'd like to have in one place. Power strip (not mine, which is a bit more stout and has a 15' cable, but it offers perspective), a CD or two and business cards, pen & pencil, headphones, trusty audio recorder, and of course, a tuner and cable.

So, how's it all fit? For now, I've decided to pull the internal zippered bag, which is held in place by a thick velcro strip. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

You can see the flap offers a mesh zippered pocket, which holds a few things I don't always need. Otherwise, everything fits, with room to spare...including that extra room for my larger power strip, and an LED stand light. And speaking of that flap:

[​IMG]

Perfect for the writing tools, plus a screwdriver, a few hex wrenches, and a coupla' batteries. Everything I'll need. Happy.

Alright, then. Impression #2. M80 Guitar Tick. WIN. Perfect for how I'll use it, and based on web images, it seems like it'll be nice for effects and any number of other things.

Now, let's combine the two.

[​IMG]

Three long velcro straps on the Tick loop through D-rings on the Vertigo. Very stout. Not instantaneous to mount or remove, but from a security standpoint this is a nice thing. Very sturdy, as well. So much so that the top handle on the Tick can easily be used to manipulate the whole setup. Functionality is no different than any other gig bag top pocket - easy to use, stout, but when full you want to be careful how wide you open it.

[​IMG]

Finally, impression #3. Vertigo + Tick. Peanut butter and chocolate. Happy happy. Seems no heavier than any other top-quality bag. The bulk of the Tick is carried in a spot that seems to have no effect on balance. It also seems to be in a spot that won't alter any regular transport...perhaps even aircraft overhead bins.

For me, the only downside I can see is that there's really no room to carry charts or books. By contrast, the iGig bag is perfect for this kind of stuff - that compartmentalized lower pocket is HUGE. That said, I expected this going in, and for those types of gigs I generally use the Mono Producer, or a smaller Protection Racket messenger bag.

I'm anxious to put the bag to use on three gigs later this week, and I'll add any tidbits that come to mind. Based on a couple of hours of ownership, I'm very happy. One last shot of the package...

[​IMG]

2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Will an iPad fit in the Vertigo compartment? How about a strap?

3. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Yes to both. Depending on what else is in there, the strap might be a tight fit, but the iPad is a breeze. FWIW, last night I confirmed that a thin folder with charts will fit as well. If you only stash one instrument cable (or shorter ones), things also open up a bit more.

Cool bag. It even passed the, "Hmmm, nice..." wife approval test.

4. nostatic

Disclosures:
    fwiw I actually don't carry cables in my M80 double. I use the lower compartment for iPad and either one or two straps. I keep cables in my pedal board bag with backups in the Producer. But looks like maybe the front compartment in the Vertigo is tighter than the M80.

I seem to be slowly migrating into a Mono-case environment. I think I'm going to move to a Pedaltrain Jr (from a mini to get a bit more space) and want the hardcase along with the Mono bag and use either depending on the gig. For a single gig bag I have an older Protec which is ok (lots of storage) but doesn't really hold the bass as well as I'd like. I got a Reunion Blues Continental specifically for flying but I hate the single zipper on the main compartment. What do you think about flying with the Veritgo? I think the RB could survive a luggage compartment if it got booted from the overheads. Not so sure about the Mono - I'd be pretty nervous is my M80 double went under the plane.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

"If I knew...." Honestly, I'd be frightened to fly with an instrument these days. My last two trips have only reinforced that fear. If I knew....I'd be allowed to carry the bass with me, I'd have only mild concerns with the Vertigo. But, those concerns would be no different than with any other bag. Seeing what folks bring with them - and jam into the overhead bins....damn. I'd be more afraid of the Frigidaire the lady in 27C is trying to cram above her head than anything the airline itself could do.

So, out of fear of those words, "gate check," I think the only way I'd travel with an instrument would be to park it in a good flight case. Accordingly, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. :D How's that for a 'roundabout answer? :ninja:

That said, however, per se, at the end of the day, all things being equal, and any other coffee-fueled cliches that may come to mind (show me the hologram, soup to nuts, the view from the parking lot....I could go on), I'll suggest the Vertigo is an awesome bag for this sort of thing. It offers pretty awesome instrument protection, but gives the illusion of being smaller than it really is. The only other similar bag that comes to mind is the iGig G525.

7. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Woo Hoo! Just ordered me one of these here, fancy gig bags. Cool pub gig this Saturday, won't be here for that but hopefully I will have her for the swank wedding gig on the 22nd of September.

Thanks Greg & Jerry

8. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Nice, Pete! I really think you'll love it. Mine's been to one rehearsal so far, but...it'll go on three gigs and one more rehearsal this weekend. Anyway, I'm really happy.

Speaking of happy....it's kind of sad seeing the stuff that brings a smile, but this qualifies. With many of the gigs I do, having a power source close by isn't always a given. Years ago I learned the lesson of having to shuffle as downbeat looms. This brought my CDO into the equation, so ever since I've lugged a power strip and extension cord. As part of my "right sizing" effort, I've been on the hunt for a way to reduce that load as well. My ideal solution....a small power strip with a long cord. Not an easy find, but this gig bag purchase led to another search, which led to this:

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=3720

Right up front, it's not cheap...although I got it for just under $35...much less than what you'll find listed at many vendors. Occasionally, the day gig comes in handy. :D Not sure about the whole hospital-grade thing, but it was the other factors that made this an easy purchase. Metal case, not very tall, and the 15' cord. Ka-ching.

Here's a shot, next to the small inner bag that fits inside the Guitar Tick, for perspective:

[​IMG]

9. nostatic

Disclosures:
    My solution is a 15' extension cord with triple outlet at the end. I also have a 50' in the car and have a power strip in my stand bag. Not that I'm anal or :D

10. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Thanks, Jerry and Pete!

Mono is so excited by all of the Mono talk in my TB forum that they've offered to do a strap giveaway contest for me. I get to run the contest & they deliver the prize. :)

So now I need some contest ideas. It's a nice strap and all, but I don't want to set the hurdle too high... hmmm... some of you creative types out there can probably come up with something fun. Please let me know if you do!

11. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

[Shh...] I'd love to creatively offer them some tips on inventory control and shipping management. [/...Shh]

That wasn't my outside voice, was it?

:D :D

Seriously...way cool. Mono is lucky to have you on board, Greg....you make 'em look very good.

And, FWIW, I'd love to see one of those straps. I came close on a 'Betty,' but wasn't sure about the whole sharkskin thing. Some day....it's far past time I get that certain first & last name off of my strappage.

12. nostatic

Disclosures:
    First person to come down with mononucleosis wins?

ok, maybe not such a good contest...

13. Berger912

Berger912 Supporting Member

Mono needs to make a betty strap for bassists, right now they are too narrow. Give us bassists a 3.5" wide strap. No Love for bass players from Mono?

14. Berger912

I actually emailed about that same problem, their response was less than encouraging. Basicly they said they has no intention of making a wider strap. I kinda took that as a FU to bass players. I own a betty strap and yea after about an hour it hurts my shoulder, sure I could get a lighter bass, but I think ill just get a better strap.

15. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    So much for that fun marketing idea. :rollno::D LOL.

16. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Sorry, Greg. See how we are? ;)

17. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    That's why we can't have nice things! :D

18. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

My mono "Betty" strap is wide enough to distribute the load of my 9.5 lb. bass so that I am not feeling any discomfort after 3x45 minute sets.

After a bit of a backorder wait, I received a Mono M80 yesterday (from Rocket ! ) The fit, materials and protection are in a different league, compared to my older Reunion Blues bag. I'm sure the new RB continental is a fine bag as well, but I'm really liking the Mono designs.

19. Berger912

i am sure the Betty strap works for you, but alot of bassist prefer or in some cases need a wider strap, and for them to say we arent even considering a wider strap just shows the disregard they have for bassists. they make a fine product, and i have had there gig bags. and i really am thinking about trying a vertigo bag, the M80 doesnt have enough storage for my needs. but if the vertigo i might consifer getting a duffle bag to carry all my accessories. i bet is enough of us on TalkBass told them a 3.5" strap is something us bassists want them might think about making it.

20. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

First person to put 10 smileys in one post?

:):):):):):):):):):)

(Thanks for the good deal and quick ship on the TH500)

21. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

I agree that wider would be better and may lure more people to an already excellent design. If they made a 3.5" Betty, it would be my next strap.