Monster "Bass" Cable?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Nov 25, 2010.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

I lost my 12 foot Monster S-100 (basic model) instrument cable at a recent gig. I'm looking at new cables on MF and they have a sale on Monster bass-specific cable ($26 for a cable that retails normally around $40). Comes with the famous lifetime guarantee. Any comments on this cable on why it's better for bass? Any other brands/models that you guys would recommend (definitely prefer a brand that comes with a lifetime guarantee). Thanks!

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Monster-Cable-Bass-Instrument-Cable-StraightStraight?sku=331653
  2. CaptainWampum

CaptainWampum

Basically it just has a treble cut. But that's just what I've heard.
  3. hoshbrown41

hoshbrown41

FWIW I like Road Hog's cables
  4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Many good brands have the "lifetime warranty" thing these days. Nothing makes the Monster Bass particularly good for bass, it's just advertising BS. I happen to like the Elixir cables because they have super-low capacitance and they are rugged. But really there's nothing wrong with a basic Whirlwind or ProCo cable.
  6. Thunderscreech

Thunderscreech

It's better for bass because it says bass on the package. And they use a special type of copper that actually somehow boosts the bass frequencies magically, like with leprechauns or something.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

8. ggunn

ggunn

A cable is a passive component; any differences in sound that a "bass" cable could possibly make (and I have serious doubts about that) would be subtractive.

Monster is known for two things: Making claims about their cables that they cannot possibly substantiate and aggressively litigating against anyone who uses the word "monster" commercially in any context. Their replacement guarantee is a sales gimmick; they use it to sell cables that cost twice what they are worth (or more), and unless they have to replace every cable they sell they come out ahead.

There are plenty of cables available that are far cheaper than Monsters which are just as good. Some of them even have the same replacement guarantee.
  9. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    I use George L's and they are GREAT sounding and you don't loose any tone. FYI
  10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

To the OP: did you search TB for comments on Monster??? I suspect it would be very illuminating to do so, as their marketing claims are viewed as junk by most posters here. Their cables are almost - not quite - universally derided as expensive wastes of money. Most of the positive comments I've read are primarily based on getting free replacements when they fail.
  11. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Thanks for the comments, guys. There are two recommendations here for the DiMarzio cables but they only come in 10 ft. and 18 ft. lengths (I don't want a 15 ft. in military green!). I find 12-15 feet ideal; any specific recommendations for this length?

Those Elixirs are expensive! What about Mogami Silver Series cables?
  12. ryco

ryco

I've heard form a couple of studio engineers that the sound quality of a cable longer than 15' drops considerably. This is for recording though, They said it doesn't matter that much live, but I'm going for 15 footers now just the same.

I have a couple of Monster cords and they work well for me. Had 'em for years and no problems.
    I also have a couple of Planet Waves with the "cut" button on 'em, so you can unplug your bass without "popping" the speakers. They work well too.

My friend designs and builds these http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=faqs&content_id=4&pagestring=Cable Design, but they are just a wee bit out of my price range! A lot of very satisfied customers use 'em tho!!
  13. RoadRanger

http://www.samash.com - they have various colors of the Dimarzio in 15' . Guitar Player Magazine rated them best a few years ago :) .
  14. TC2112

TC2112

15. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

16. RoadRanger

17. ggunn

ggunn

If you take reasonable care of them, decently made cables need no warranty - they don't fail*. I've got cables that are over 20 years old and still working fine. The only cables that have failed me were crappy to begin with.

*I don't count simple wire breaks at the connector; those I can fix myself in a few minutes. Those failures are relatively rare as well, though.
  18. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Commercial FREE!
  19. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

I'm leaning towards a Mogami Silver Series 12 foot, only $15 with free shipping through MF (lifetime guarantee). Is the Dimarzio that costs twice as much that much better?
  20. adube810

adube810

Disclosures:
    Physician CSR, Park Surgical Co INC
    you can get generic cables at monoprice.com for about $3 a cable

cant beat that