1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Monster Cables don't kill jacks, people do.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stinsok, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

The first pic is a Rapco Instrument cable, the second is a Monster Bass cable. Both cable's 1/4'' ends vary in diameter a bit up and down the shaft. It's hard to hold it and photograph at the same time but they are pretty much the same.

Attached Files:

2. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Indeed! Monster fixed this issue some years back. It was definitely an issue with older cables.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I've never had a problem with my Monster patch cables been using them for years but then again to be fair I don't plug and unplug my cables twenty times a day either.

4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yep - I've been a Monster cable user since the 80s and Monster stopped using oversized jacks many, many years ago. FWIW: I think I still have one of the original oversized Monster cables around here somewhere and it still worked the last time I used it too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scotch

Disclosures:
    The older, oversize cables definitely 'work', but they can & do bend/stretch jack sleeves out so they become Intermittent + the capacitance of the older "Monster Bass" cable was really bad (thus the 'bass' being louder was actually the treble getting attenuated)!

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

when was this a problem? i have Monster cables from the friggin' 80's and never experienced the jack problem. even if it is a fraction of a millimeter bigger a quality jack should hold up, right? if not, just bend it back to spec!:)

8. scotch

Disclosures:
    If you kept using the Monster cable, no problem! But if you put in a different plug, problems could occur. Not always, but it did & does happen. The jack sleeve itself would stretch out over time, not really easily 'fixable'.

I have a side business doing setups and repairs here in Nashville. I have 2 regular clients that kept having intermittent problems with their guitars. About every year or two, the jacks would need replacing. Guess what cable they were both using?