Monster warranty

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jim nolte, Feb 15, 2014.

1. jim nolte

jim nolte

Once and for all, what is the lifetime warranty on Monster cables? Some TB'ers have said they have taken the cable to any dealer and have exchanged it"no questions asked". Monster website says you have to send it to them with proof of purchase from authorized dealer listed on the website. My dealer here in Monterey is not listed, although they sell Monster cables and I don't have a invoice. And the sender pays the shipping to Monster. What gives? Thanks, Jim
  2. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I took a faulty Monster speaker cable into a local shop (not the one where I originally bought it, mind you) and they tested it and exchanged it on the spot. Not sure if that's normally how some shops handle it, but they certainly honored the warranty then and there. I've never had any other Monster Cable fail on me - not even the ones I've owned since I started playing bass 17+ years ago. Those have been through some stuff!
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Companies who offer lifetime warranties only warranty against manufacturer defects, not normal wear and tear or abuse. Monster will not warranty products which are not purchased through authorized dealers. Authorized dealers are not obligated to exchange defective products. They can direct you to contact Monster directly so Monster can determine if the product is legitimate, not a counterfeit and if it has a manufacturer's defect. Not everyone who sells Monster products are authorized dealers and therefore have no obligation to honor the warranty.
  4. jim nolte

jim nolte

Just got off the phone with my local dealer here in Monterey. Manager said they wouldn't honor the warranty at the store even though they are an authorized dealer. Suggested I contact Monster or MF where I purchased them. Jim
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Take it to Guitar Center I have taken cables back with no questions asked and I got them from eBay. I have never had a problem ever getting a new cable even when I broke it.
  7. BrianToska

BrianToska

I had a monster cable that I bought at a New Jersey GC years ago and exchanged it at a Texas GC last year with no questions asked
  8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    A few months ago, I tried to exchange a Monster cable at my local Guitar Center and they refused even though I purchased it there.
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Policies are changing. The OLD story which we have all heard, and some of us have experienced, was of GC and other dealers taking any old Monster cable in ANY condition and swapping it straight across for a new replacement. That is not necessarily how it works anymore!!! GC and Monster both have been tightening down on this sort of thing. You may still get lucky at an individual store, but I would not expect any dealer (including GC) to honor those old generous trade-in policies.
  10. taliesin

taliesin

I returned a Monster cable a few months ago.

It was about 15 years old and I didn't have the receipt - and I don't think the place I bought it from carries them any more. So I wasn't very optimistic.

I called the number on their website and gave him the details - he looked it up and told me it was covered. I had to pay to send it to the distribution centre and he told me if it was counterfeit they could either send it back to me (at my cost) or toss it - which seems fair enough.

I found an old padded envelope and mailed it off for a few dollars - about a week and a half later a brand new cable showed up in my mailbox.

And this was for normal wear and tear over 15 years.

Pretty damn solid customer service in my book.
  11. aprod

aprod

I had one go bad and took it to my local GC and they exchanged it no problem. I did not buy it from them.
  12. stinky634

stinky634 Supporting Member

I used to get mine exchanged no problem at GC, as mentioned. The last time I went was a few months ago and now they tested them to make sure they are faulty. I knew both were making noise but only one showed any signs of shorting out, so they only exchanged the one. I'll try again soon, I really hate going to guitar center lately. Customer service and price negotiation went south.
  13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Update to my issue with trying to exchange a Monster cable. After reading about the success that other TB'ers have had exchanging defective Monster cables at GC, I decided to try again today. They no longer carry the particular cable that I wanted to exchange so the salesperson looked up what I had originally paid and then gave me 2 Monster cables which added up to the same value. He also told me that GC will not be carrying Monster much longer because Monster has not been honoring their end of the exchange program.
  14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Cable warranties draw traffic into stores, at virtually no cost, and generate goodwill. It wouldn't seem to make much sense to aggravate customers or to drive them away over a cable that costs a few bucks wholesale.
  15. jim nolte

jim nolte

Interesting because MF doesn't seem to carry the Bass cables anymore. Jim
  16. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    sounds like there is absolutely no consistency here.
  17. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Maybe Monster discovered GC has more warranty returns on cables than they actually sold... :)
  18. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

bought a cable at GC hanging next to the Monsters with a "no questions asked lifetime warranty" forget the brand tho.. also cost about 10 less than the Monster.
  19. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Supporting Member

Same here; I bought it from someone else; took it to guitar center; got the same exact cable off the shelf; no receipt needed and no questions asked.
    They didn't even ask what was wrong with the cable; it was shorting out pretty bad.