Mooer fog bass fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eriktheviking, Feb 1, 2014.

1. eriktheviking

eriktheviking

I was looking around for a fuzz pedal when I came across this. It intrigued me because of how small and inexpensive it is (plus the color is pretty cool too). I listened to some sound bytes and it sounded pretty cool as well. Does anyone have experience with this pedal? Do any other pedals compare to it at its price range?

Thanks,
    Eriktheviking
    [​IMG]
  2. eriktheviking

eriktheviking

Does anyone have one??
  3. stinky634

stinky634 Supporting Member

I could use some more input as well. I have been researching this as an option for my search for a good fuzz that has a sawtooth style sound to it. This one does it but the area that setting sits in doesn't get much attention in reviews.

Once my angler sells this is number one on my list, for now.
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

I have one as I was never impressed with the EHX BBM, or the MXR BFD. Neither had the fuzz tone I was after and both had volume issues.

The Fog is based on the zvex woolly mammoth, as such, it's best action is on the synthy side of fuzz. I wanted a fuzz that gets that Muse 'time is running out' sound, and with the pinch control up this delivers it in spades.

Back off the pinch and it's capable more traditional fuzz but without the blurry mess that the muff can sometimes create. It's more articulate and difined, but not as full on and heavy.

One more thing. A lot of manufacturers seem to be of the thought that you need a clean blend to retain bottom end. For me, this reduces the impact of the fuzz and makes it difficult to hear in a band mix. The fog doesn't have a clean blend but has no such problems filling out the low end and sitting I the mix properly.
  7. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    And I've had the opposite experience.
    Sounds great on its on, but got lost in a full mix- I had to run a little clean blend to hold the lows too
  8. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

My Fog bumped a Big Muff off my board. Run into a 3Bk it's amazing.
  9. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

I should add that I'm running mine from the woofer pickup from my Attitude, which has buckets of low end - possibly a reason that I don't need a clean blend ;)

I initially wanted to run it at the end of the chain, after I mix the woofer (lows and P pickup (mids) signals, with compression and eq on both (this worked ok on my other fuzzes). However, the Fog it a bit more fussy and doesn't seem to like too hot an input, or compression. So I'm running it first from the woofer which works great. I can then blend in some overdrive on the P pickup for more flavour.

I eventually want to get another MS-60B for the P pickup signal, then I can mic in some heavy distortion or synths and totally nail those Muse tones!
  10. JensCambre

JensCambre

I am also looking at this pedal as a possible alternative for my bass blogger. I am happy with the blogger's fuzz, because it sounds very dirty and distorted and that's what I need. But it takes up a little to much space on my pedalboard.

I've got the Mooer bass sweeper and it kicked the EHX bass balls of my board, so I was hoping that it might do the same for the blogger?...
  11. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    If you're looking at replacing the blogger, try the thunderball. It's allegedly a clone
  12. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

What were you running into it? The Mammoth sounds thin with an active bass plugged in, or with another pedal before it, it prefers passive basses. If this is a clone it could suffer from the same problem.
  13. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Why someone would want to clone the Blogger is beyond me!
  14. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Exactly - see my post above. I've moved it to the front of my signal path, and have to defeat everything else in the chain. It is quite particular when combined with other effects.
  15. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

My Mammoth didn't like being in a clean blend either, as most blenders are buffered before the fx send.
  16. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    I run passive p basses into it, being first in the chain.
  17. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

The comments on the Mooer YouTube demo are hilarious.
  18. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Based on the youtube video. I think it sounds awful. Thats just my opinion though.
  19. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I have had the FOG for a while now. I think it works great, but you really have to make sure it's getting fed a passive (high impedance) signal to get the most out of it.

It's a very 'agressive' type velcro-fuzz. It's a tone that you hear more from guitarists, but with the massive low-end the pedal passes, it sounds cool on bass! There's nothing polite about it - that's for sure.

I've decided to sell mine as well as my Thunderball in the classifieds. They were giving me 2 cool sounds: the Thunderball more of a vintage old-skool fuzz & the FOG a more modern ripping sound. A Source Audio FOG has arrived & it is replacing a lot of my single effects, so the Mooer's are gonna go...

Still, I think these pedals are admirable for the quality of sound and size! You won't find a smaller fuzz.
  20. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

*cough*

[​IMG]
  21. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

[​IMG]

I see that and raise you this!
    fretless19 likes this.