1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mooer Micro DI Cab Sim

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AmpedSilence, Nov 7, 2013.

1. AmpedSilence

AmpedSilence

I just got this bad boy in today and was messing around with the patches on my Zoom MS-60B and decided to try something different from what I had set up.

The MS-60B took the place of my Sansamp BDDI and pretty much filled the needs of all other effects that I could "sparingly" use. The one thing I didn't really like about the MS-60B was how the higher frequency, treble, on some of the preamp models like the SVT would sorta hiss and sound a bit digitally.

I play with a small Acoustic practice amp at home and use a Peavey Firebass and 410 Yorkville cab at church and DI to the FOH.

What I did different this time with the Mooer Micro DI was to engage its Cab sim and turn the cab sim off on the Zoom MS-60B. What a difference! The highs were not hissy or digital sounding and the lows just sound massive now!

I don't know much about speaker/cab sims but now I know that they are a great tool when going DI!
  2. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    The cabsim circuit in the mooer is great.
    I have used it for lots of di jobs- it sounds great!
    Great vfm!
  3. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

I'd like to hear some more opinions please.

Has anyone else tried this yet?
  4. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows Supporting Member

yeah, i'd like to know more about the cab sim. usually they are just a LPF, right? if so i'd like to know where the cutoff is.
  5. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Same here. I'd also like to know if there's any volume loss with this DI.
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Volume loss isn't an issue because it's powered and has three gain positions apart from the speaker sim. IIRC it's actually pretty hot on the throughput even at the 0db notch.
  7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

JimmyM will be pleased.
  8. jumblemind

As I mentioned in the other thread, I ended up returning mine. It was too hot on the 0db even with a passive bass and too low with the -20db cut. I think because of the gain issue it had a small amount of hiss, which was worse with the speaker sim engaged. The speaker sim is okay tonally and gives a touch of an organic mid sound, but it also boosts the lows quite a bit. Much of this might be addressed with a dedicated EQ pedal in front, but that defeats the size advantage IMO. I'm not sure how much the hiss would be noticeable in a live mix, but I would just personally prefer a quiet DI, as well as something I could use parallel to my amp.
  9. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

I wanna try one of these so bad. I can see the gain switch being very limiting.
  10. manchild

manchild

I am currently looking for a compact but effective DI and quite interested in the Mooer. How would people who have tried this compare it the likes of BSS Audio AR133and Radial Pro 48?
  11. jumblemind

I can't compare it to those, but after trying several options I ended up with a Radial JDI and am super happy. On top of the things I mentioned in this thread, I didn't like that the Mooer required a wall wart or pedal power. The JDI preserves the good parts of my tone, doesn't require power, has some nice options (like sitting between my amp and speaker), and, as John Davis says, can drive a nail into a 2x4.
  12. manchild

manchild

Thanks for the reply - I take the sound quality between the Moore and the JDI is like night and day? Would you recommend using the Moore or should I avoid it?
  13. jumblemind

IMO the Jensen transformer in the Radial is way beyond anything the Mooer is capable of. So yes, night and day. BUT it depends on your needs and setup. If I were you I would just buy the Mooer from a place with a return policy and try it. Then you're just out postage if it doesn't sound good. I am me and that is what I did.
  14. srcTW

srcTW Supporting Member

I find it a little thin sounding personally. But only on an A/B test vs. the DI out of my GB 6.2 and RH450. But the size is right, that's for sure, and given that I recommend it.
  15. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

16. manchild

manchild

Thanks guys - yeah I might just get it, as although it is not top pro, sounds like it is also not something that needs avoided. I like it for the size too plus its half the price of a radial 48.

Im in a pro wedding band and need something affordable but compact :)
  17. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1.

Yeah, I like the tiny size of the Mooer Micro DI, and even though I seriously doubt its as good as the Radial J48, or Countryman 85, I still really want to try one - so its on my "going test drive list" too.

http://www.mooeraudio.com/EN/ProductInfo.asp?id=93
  18. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

I've been thinking about adding a cab sim in my rack to go out to my DI. I much prefer a cab sim'd sound or mic'd cab vs my direct signal because I'm dialing in all my fuzzes with a tweeterless cab, things get a little bright in the house.

I'd love to eventually go up to a REDDI, but would this little Mooer do the trick in the meantime?
  19. jumblemind

IMO, no. The active circuit is noisy, and the cab sim EQ is a little extreme. Again, I find the JDI does a better job on all fronts, including its cab sim. The biggest issue with your use case is that there is no parallel out on the Mooer: the XLR and 1/4" output the same affected signal. It is an "always on" effect in your chain, so the cab sim is going to your amp as well as going to the front of house. For that price range I would recommend the MXR M80 DI+ over the Mooer. The M80 is actually a great DI, has parallel out, built like a tank, and can achieve a mic'd cab thing with tweaks to the EQ.