1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mooer Micro Power

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ocoaibass, Apr 9, 2014.

1. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

Has anyone tried this guy yet? Seems too good to be true. 8 isolated 9V power channels of 200mA each. Short circuit protection allows the rest to continue working if one blows. Comes with 8 cables and it's TINY, like the rest of their pedals. All for $98 obo on the bay. So tempted to pull the trigger as my Voodoo Labs 2 is full.

These tiny pedals make it easy to have an arsenal at your feet, and now they've made powering them so cheap & easy too!

Gots to be a devil in the details!

2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

I got one, I like it. The ports are rated at 300mA, not 200. I haven't gigged with it yet but I have no complaints so far.

3. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

Yeah, I was writing those details from memory & made that error. 300mA is ridiculous to consider. If this thing is legit then I'm sold. It's powered off a wall wart, which is my only concern. Might end up being more similar to a Dunlop DC Brick. Still, for the money, this is likely a game changer for lots of folks!

4. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

I waiting for my Bass Whammy to try with it but I tried a ~250mA pedal and it worked fine, so I'm not worried. The size, price and 300mA rating are what drew me to this thing and I'm happy so far.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The outlets aren't actually isolated, contrary to what Mooer says. But users report that it works well, apart from that.

7. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

Yeah, I am slightly concerned about how it'll do with the Bass Whammy, since that family likes to be isolated, but we shall see.

8. MothBox

MothBox

Is this a daisy chain hidden inside a box?

Voodoo labs descriptions harp on about reducing noise by isolating each port... not sure if its overkill or not. Mooers website uses the term "independent" instead of isolated.

I've never had any problem will wall-wart style plugs on any appliance, is it an issue with these sorts of devices?

I'm in the market for a power supply and was looking at voodoo labs up until now. Anyone that has one - what are the values on the wall-wart? Just out of interest.

I've used Mooer pedals and thought they were pretty good quality. They're stocked by a mainstream retailer where I am which usually stocks decent kit like Rickies and Orange so I've got a bit of trust in their judgement to sell Mooer.

9. MothBox

MothBox

For those interested theres a similar product by Joyo and the reviews seem quite good. Theres a review by someone called "Walt Jones" Amazon here which is quite informative about isolated v not-isolated supplies.

Given the price range of the Joyo and the Mooer I'm going to go with the likelihood that they're pretty similar - as there's not much more info to go on.

Getting pretty interested in this unit :hyper:

10. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

I lived on Dunlop DC Bricks for years. They are NOT isolated. The only problems I had with them is that they would quit on me after a couple of years. I went with a Voodoo Labs recently because I found a good deal on one. I'm probably also going to grab one of these because I just need to power a few more/Mooer pedals, so it seems like a good fit.

My local shoppe is considering a restock on Mooer products at my urging so if/when I get one, I'll share my thoughts further. I just hope I'm not getting swept up in this micro pedal fad...

11. Megazap63

Megazap63

Not isolated? :confused:

12. jwb39

jwb39

So these non-isolated power supplies are glorified OneSpots?

13. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

I personally don't really know how to answer that. I've been told that, and I've been told that if they are limited to 300mA per channel then they are at least independent, which is something...

14. MothBox

MothBox

Is the only difference between these cheaper boxes and the voodoos etc isolation? What about surge protection and consistency in supply as more pedals are added?

Id give it a try if its just isolation and if theres a noticable noise issue upgrade to a more expensive and feature-rich supply.

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What the non-isolated bricks do is add components like resistors to the ground connection of each outlet, with the aim of dropping or blocking voltage that may cross that point. And that's actually a good way of stopping SOME noise cases. But these added components do not prevent the ground paths from connecting, which means ground loops and polarity shorts still happen.

16. MothBox

MothBox

If it's just a case of noise reduction I may take my chances. In live situations I've found any ambient noise produced by me is outweighed massively by what the guitarist creates!

I usually use a surge protected extension lead from a power bank which gives me a feeling of security even if it doesn't actually do anything!

17. BLKOVT

BLKOVT

Looking for more comparisons on this, but can't find any since its pretty new.. If you have one please demo and compare!

18. Need Gigs

Need Gigs

+1
    Bump!

19. gregmon79

gregmon79 Effectheadaholic Supporting Member

I use something like this as one of my power sources on my board. Its Joyo but an off company, so I hear, called Caline:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/390878385330?lpid=82

It works great for me. Considering all the pedals that are on my board it is very quiet. I have using/gigging it out for maybe a year. No issues whatsoever. Its been great. This one only goes 100ma each out but it does have 8 of them and one 12v and one 18v out. I would imagine the Mooer is pretty much the same thing. As good or better than a Voodoo Labs PP? I highly doubt it. But I like only paying $40 for mine and being happy with its performance as opposed to spending almost $200 and again, being happy with its performance ;)