Moog Bass MuRF MF-105B Moogerfooger

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by browntown, May 31, 2007.

1. browntown

browntown

Does anyone have any experience with this thing?
    It seems like it would pretty friggin sweet...but its also $400.
    Should I bother trying to save up for this?:eek:
  2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister

i think there are a few people here using the bass murf... but i might be thinking of the ring mod and lowpass filter.

search around for "moogerfooger" or "murf" and see what comes up! i'm sure someone with more info than myself will chime in, though...
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif
  3. mr. eff

mr. eff

I haven't tried it, but its a moog! It HAS to be awesome.:bassist: But on a serious note it looks really expensive. For the same price you could get a freqbox w/ an expression pedal. Although I haven't tried either there is a vid of some dude using the freqbox, and it blows my mind everytime I see it. Its the top pedal on my gas list.
  4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    The thing with the price on this is the pedal is totally unique there is nothing else on the market like it so it's kinda you either want this modulator or not if you do you gotta part with the green.

Personally from what I've heard it's nice but not useful for what I do.

Hope this helps
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sean S

Sean S

like who? ...some 12 year old? :D
  7. moogboy

moogboy Banned

Disclosures:
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    the MURF is the one pedal that i want the most, for the reason that the sounds available are not every day sounds. MURFs are an awesome effect if you are playing any music, IMO.
  8. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Supporting Member

browntown, have you checked out the samples on the Moog website? They're really good examples of what it can do.

I've tried one out in person before... if I had the cash, I'd probably own one now. It creates very unusual filter sounds that no other filter I know of can produce! However, it's one of those effects that you might have to build the song around, rather than building the effect into the song.

Regardless... it is a cool pedal, but for most people, it may not have a place in their music at all. That's partially because of how unusual it is.
  9. these_go211

these_go211

i own the regular (non-bass) murf. like others have said it's an effect like no other. i bought mine before there was a bass version. i've used it with both bass and guitar. hard to describe but you need to find a store that has it and experiment. it's a great pedal for experimentation and if you add an expression pedal you will forever have a smile plastered on your face. the murf does tremolo like sounds, phased stuff, weird blips and blurps, and on and on. one of the only effects it doesn't do is delay.

also, one thing that is not usually talked about with the Murf is the overdrive. in one word, SWEEEEET! sometimes i'll turn off the filters and just crank the overdrive. admittedly i've done this more with guitar than bass though. the murf can also be used as a preamp/di as well, albeit the fact it doesn't have an xlr out. i'm biased but i say GO FOR IT!
  10. moogboy

moogboy Banned

Disclosures:
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    +1. if you try to build the effect into the song, you are in for some hair loss.
  11. Earwaxsculptor

Earwaxsculptor

C'mon now silly, music in general is just an effect that your mind controls.

Patience Danielson, concentrate. Focus power!

Oh, btw I want this little box, the lowpass filter, and a Guyatone
    ultrem so bad that I have been contemplating selling my beloved USA '75 RI Jazz bass that sits under my bed............or my body. I think I would get more for the bass tho'.
  12. HenfieldJ

HenfieldJ

I have one, and it is a most unusual effect. Think of it as a synthesizer style audio "sequencer". As the filters are very precise, you can emphasize certain harmonics from each note (or notes), and it gives your sound some "motion". It also has an envelope control, which can affect the attack and duration of each note, and there are many preset patterns, which determine the filter sequence. Probably the best thing about the pedal is the ability to hook up expression pedals to change the rate at which the sound moves through the filters, change the envelope of the notes, sweep the filter values, and the mix between the affected and unaffected signal. I would suggest buying from someone such as MF, who has a liberal return policy, in case you find the effect isn't too your liking. If you go to Moog's site, you can find quite a few sound samples, and you can download the manual, which helps to further explain what is going on.

With all that being said, I found that you can use this for existing songs, as long as you do not mind creating a mind blowing arrangement that only faintly reminds you of the original, but it really shines if you create a song around a pattern that you find pleasing while fooling around with the thing. My band members aren't the fondest of the effect, as I play in a blues band, but I have used it to energize "All Along the Watchtower", which our singer, who is a huge Bob Dylan fan, insists that we use to end each practice session and each gig. I also bought a MIDI sync for the rate control off of ebay, and it sounds great when paired with a drum machine and is synced up.

I am sorry that I do not have any sound samples at this time. I still record to tape, and I don't have enough time to figure out how to get the sounds from my basement studio up to the computer on the 2nd floor of my house.
  13. funkalicious101

funkalicious101

i know it can do all sorts of crazy patterns, but can it just do straight tremolo aswell?
  14. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I've been using mine for about a year now. It can achieve simple tremolo & chorused sounds, but it's real magic is the unique control over it's oscillation patterns.

The following is copied from a post I previously made:

I was given the BassMurf as a gift. I wouldn't have shelled out the $400 for it myself. Although, I am not adverse to such expenditures.

It isn't the most practical pedal out there. It can take some time to set up a sound. The bypass is ok to my ears, but I would feel better about true bypass. I need to get a true bypass loop anyway. It does take up an awful lot of 'board space!

I might have sold it by now, but the thing really can be a great creative tool. I've been inspired by the unit a few times just messing around with it. (no, no double-entendre ) It is capable of a lot of real-time performance interaction with the optional foot controllers.

I'd say the BassMurf is perfect if you are building a song around it. It's a bit harder to integrate into material that's already developed. I have only occasionally used it in a live setting for long moody song-intros & such. It hasn't made it onto any recordings yet. (I mostly do "hired-gun" type sessions where brevity is of the essence)

The BassMurf is definitely not a "desert-island" piece of gear for me. I'll keep it around as it might be the perfect effect for the right song at some point.

Additionally the Bassmurf can introduce a little noise when it is engaged, depending on the environment you are in.

It is an expensive, but super cool pedal that I've only nicked the surface of!
  15. JvN

JvN