Moog EP-2 connector/space problems

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassgeek, Jun 19, 2012.

1. bassgeek

bassgeek

Have any users of the MOOG EP-2 found frustration in the size of the connector? It's not very low-profile to say the least and, in my experience, has become a nuisance in trying to set up a tidy-streamlined pedalboard.

I've attached a picture for reference.

I use two EP-2s in my setup and I keep running into problems with the dang connectors taking up to much space, jutting out from the pedal.

So, my question is, has anyone found a way around this using an alternative connector to connect the EP-2 to your expression-capable pedals? I haven't hit up Radio Shack yet, but I'm assuming I'd need a right angle TRS that ends in a "female" that I can plug the EP-2 into and stash away under the board.

A question similar to mine posed on the Moog board elicited the unhelpful response: "It is a stereo plug, so you'll need a stereo adapter. Personally, I'd find a way to use it without the adapter."

Some more research turned up: It uses a 1/4" TRS plug with Sleeve = ground, Ring = 5V, and tip = output voltage.
    The manual is here:
    www.americanmusical.com/ItemFiles/Manual/moog/mooep2_manual.pdf

Any help would be appreciated.

My short-term solution is to just "hide" the connectors using a riser.

Fortunately, I live a few miles from the Moog factory/show room here in Asheville (Beer City), NC. So, I might stop in there and ask if they have any advice.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Skrogh

Skrogh

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can just replace it with one of these:
    http://www.musikding.de/images/product_images/popup_images/winkelstereo.jpg
    Just make sure it's a stereo plug. Also, do note that this kind of plugs are rather wide (diameter ~2,2cm)
    I'm thinking a bit about doing this myself, but for now I just keep the pedal I'm using it with in the lower row of my peda-lboard, so the long plug stays hidden under other effects.

Good luck.
  3. DannDubblewe

DannDubblewe Knob Wrangler

Give me a little time here. As inspired by our own Jeff Moote I replaced the entire cable with a jack in the pedal. You can also easily cut down the existing cable and replace it with a new plug.

Anyway, I will post detailed pictures of the jack in place of a cable in just a little while.
  4. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe, GigRig, COG Effects
    I swapped mine with a right angle switch craft jack to make life a little easier... I really like the idea of mounting a socket in it though!!!
  5. DannDubblewe

Here we are!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stereo 1/4" Jack - Red wire goes to TIP, white wire goes to RING, black wire to SLEEVE. Let the modding begin!
  6. bassgeek

bassgeek

Cool, that's slick, Dann. I don't have mine in front of me now...how messy was it to get a clean hole for the jack to go through?

Also, where do you get your jacks? Sorry for the questions..

Thanks for your input, everyone.

The top jacks on my xerograph are REALLY close together so the pan head style GLS cables I was planning on using are too tight. It's Gonna be George L right angles or the lava mini ELCs.
  7. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Supporting Member

So, so Slick and we should all be doing this!
  8. DannDubblewe

Questions are GREAT and very helpful for everyone now and future. The clean hole was no problem, although I did use a Unibit.

You can easily get a stereo jack from Radio Shack, or if you want better quality check out Mammoth Electronics.

You have to use a TRS/ Stereo plug for this to work, you can't use a mono patch cable type plug. It'll have two black rings, identical to current one you have. Just look around for "1/4 TRS right angle plug" and you'll find one fast. Mammoth only has one TRS plug and it's straight. You can just reuse the (INSANELY TOO LONG) cable that you remove from the EP2.
  9. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

Hey Dan, when you remove the bottom of the pedal and take out the original the wire, are the three wires you soldered above the three that are inside the wire?

Gotta grab me a couple of these soon.
  10. Skrogh

Skrogh

Yes.

Also thought I'd share this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've put a stereo 10k pot in there. One side of the pot is wired up to the depth control as a voltgedivider and goes through the original cable to my BEFP. The other part is wired as a variable resistor and goes to my M9. Yay dual expression pedal. Total cost ~35€
  11. enjoi1018

Thanks for that!
  12. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Very cool Skrogh!...

I was wondering if an Ernie Ball VP Jr. could be modded into a dual expression pedal. I love the feel and profile of the VP Jr. and i'd love if someone could mod one for me (if this is even possible)....

Any takers?
  13. Skrogh

Skrogh

Yeah that should't be a problem, I bought a 10k linear stereo pot and some stereo jacks from Tayda Electronics. If you need I can draw up a diagram on how to connect things. If you have a soldering iron, you can easily do it yourself :)
  14. Basehead

Skrogh, that would be a big help. I don't know how to solder but I'm a quick learner :D

If you can remember which parts you used that would be much appreciated!
  15. Skrogh

Skrogh

Sure I'm on a train right now, bit maybe tomorrow or in the weekend I can put together a tutorial. :)
  16. Basehead

Much appreciated!!
  17. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

What's ya doing with midi on the BEF Pro?
  18. Skrogh

Skrogh

Testing n'stuff... :] I think I forgot to test MIDI -> expression, but tested if it slew-limited the MIDI -> freq (it does) and if I could achieve pseudo-rate-crushing with a custom-LFO shape (It's possible to some degree). Oh yeah and decoding the signal that transfers the custom-LFO, it's just a MIDI message, should be quite easy to copy.
  19. enjoi1018

Just did two of these myself! So easy, even I could do it.

SO DO IT.
  20. Basehead

Nice, I'll definitely go for it.

So, does anyone know how to tighten the action of the Moog EP-2? Mine is doing the thing where it pops back up after going heel down. Very frustrating...:scowl: