Moog mini-Ring mod

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mosfed, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

Anyone using one of these with bass?

Any favorite settings you want to share? I would be seriously intrigued.

I seriously have a man-crush on Robert Moog. Too bad he's passed on...
  2. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

have not used for bass, but did use one on my hammond organ and it was pretty wow, helped make certain frequencies SCREAM on that thing.
  3. Diaz

Diaz

I use it every now and then. I usually use it at very low mix levels, with an 85% to 100% Freq knob rolled up.
    The only time i've used it in a practical scenario was when i had to play this metal song with flats and i used it to kinda get that sparkly metallic roundwound sound into the tone.
    When i'm just messing around i like to use it kinda like a distortion, and with the OC2 to get a formant bass-like tone.
  4. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

I'll be receiving one in a few days! Ringmods are tricky beasts, as I'm sure most effects junkies already know, but there's nothing like it in the right context. I'll be using mine primarily in my jazzrock/fusion/progressive band, where we like a touch of chromatic dissonance every now and then. :p

I already own the MF-102, but I'm intrigued by the new features of the mini version. I rarely use the LFO on the larger 'fooger, but the tone knob and frequency range (not to mention the size) of the mini look very useful. Every review seems to praise its musicality, and I can imagine why if what you're looking to do is to tune it to the key you're playing and simultaneously dial back some of the harsher highs. Really looking forward to giving it a go!
  5. Mosfed

I messed around with mine last night for hours and was amazed at the range of tones I could get out of it. It completely changed when I added the expression pedal to the frequency function. Suddenly I had a MUCH wider range of options than before.

I can't wait to mess around with it on the weekend with my band. We tend to love bringing things out and this has opened up a whole world of effects for me that I had never really used on bass - like delay and this ring mod.

I do wish they would make the Low Pass filter in a mini-Frooger. I love the bigger one but hate the real estate it takes up on my pedal board.
  6. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario, Subdecay, Tonefactor
    Definitely interested. Haven't checked them out yet, tho.

J
  7. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

I have one. I use mine for when we want to make some creative noises during breakdowns. I also use mine in conjunction with my tremolo pedal to get some cool stuff going.

Also another cool thing about it is that it adds some cool robotic type distortion that goes very nicely with my my dirt pedals. I couldn't see getting one of these without the expression pedal though. It just adds so much more to the pedal.
  8. Mosfed

Any favorite settings you could share with us would be AMAZING
  9. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

I pretty much leave the mix around 9-10 o'clock. Keeps a good amount of my original tone while adding some sweet robotic like distortion. The tone I keep right about 11-12 o'clock. The frequency knob is the one I play around with mostly. Most of the time its at Noon as well and I use the expression pedal to dive into higher frequencies.

When I use it for heavier parts I turn the freq down to about 8 to get into the realm of what I like to call "robots destroying the city."

Then when paired with my Tremolo pedal I can get some cool helicopter chop effects along with it. When you crank the mix knob all the way up you get into basically R2-D2 mode which is fun but not necessarily good in a band mix lol.
  10. Mosfed

Oh man I used it today at practice and adored it. I can't imagine using it without an expression pedal either. It seems to add so much more to the cause. I left tone around where you did, had the mix turned up a bit higher (say 2pm) and then messed around with frequency with the Pedal. What a killer range of sounds. I had it running before my delay pedal and loved some of the sounds I could get with that combo.

Thanks again moog. Tough to best this kind of quality at this price