1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Moog Minifooger clips/reviews?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Downsideup, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Downsideup

Downsideup

VERY new here, don't know my way around yet...Have any of the Wise Old Dogs tried out the Minifoogers yet? I need to be sold on (or dissuaded from) the MF delay. Bought a Drive; IMVHO it kicks butt.
  2. FreshTrooperXBL

FreshTrooperXBL

I've been considering getting the minifooger ring mod (actually getting 2 of them) for my synthesizers (stereo recording reasons). I only dislike that many of the features of the full pedal are entirely gone on the mini. Still a great deal for analog IMO. I played the drive at Noisebug and it was great on the strat they had set up.
  3. monsterthompson

monsterthompson Supporting Member

i'm interested. i wanna hear that fuzz on bass.
  4. Downsideup

Downsideup

If by "fuzz" you mean the MF Drive - yes, go try that. I'm keeping mine under my pillow at night - smooth ballsy overdrive, quite versatile. Drive, output, tone & filter cutoff knobs, plus two switches (boost for the drive! peak for the filter). Does fuzz. And with the still-affordable EP-2, you also get a great dirty wah. (Moog website says something about an EP-3, but my EP-2 works fine.)
    Available where I am (western Canada) which I guess means anywhere in the lower 48 too. Only one I can't find & try is the @#%! MFDelay!
  5. monsterthompson

Just toyed around with the Drive pedal. Ran a Squire P Bass through it and into an Orange Terror Bass (the shop's gear). It was a very phat and warm sounding pedal. I was a little distracted with my expectations for it to do some face melting fuzzy sounds, which it can't quite do. It can get a little rough, but not as buzzy and high-gain as I had been hoping for. That said, it was well built and had quite an interesting flavor. I couldn't quite wrap my brain around the Peak switch, but otherwise, the controls were fairly intuitive. If I was looking to warm up a sterile rig, or get into some dub sounds, this pedal would certainly have caught my interest a little more. However, I can't stop thinking about it since leaving the shop.

I'm considering options to replace my Darkglass B7k, and I was hoping this would be a no-brainer of a decision. Instead, I may just end up with both. I'm thinking that it could be useful to overdrive the Monique and Buster heads I have. They are both squeaky clean, and this just might do the trick. I keep considering how lost-in-the-mix heavy fuzz and distortion can get. I have very little concern about this pedal not providing enough lows, based on how it performed.
  6. monsterthompson

Ok, I went back and bought it. Home demo and clips this week if all goes well.
  7. monsterthompson

...wow, this is definitely a "RTFM" pedal. that tone knob going from LPF to mid cut to mid boost to HPF is certainly a tricky balancing act. it certainly has a flavor which can seemingly stomp on the tone of your rig, if you go too extreme with the settings (and even if you don't). it is very responsive to input levels and playing technique. i ran it through my Buster, Walkabout, and Monique with my P and J basses. i started with the WA and hadn't quite figued it out at that time. i had better results with the other two amps. i even had a few "wow! that's what this does" moments. i'm still not quite sure about it. i'm interested but still uncertain.
  8. monsterthompson

Clips. Done hastily. Excuse the technique and mix. Just walked up each string in each setting.
    https://soundcloud.com/monsterthompson/sets/minifooger-drive-test

First is my Nash J straight into my Monique, and right into Logic. All the others have the Drive engaged at some level. There are so many options, I tried to cover a few different sounds. Settings are on/off or @ "o'clock."

Drive 1. Probably how I'd use this most. It warms up and adds some growl and light clipping depending on technique.
    Drive on. Peak on. Gain 1. Tone 2. Filter 12.

Drive 2. Farty.
    Drive on. Peak on. Gain max. Tone 2. Filter 1.

Drive 3. Smoother
    Drive on. Peak off. Gain max. Tone 2. Filter 1.
    (i feel like my settings notes are wrong)

Drive 4. Buzzy
    Drive on. Peak off. Gain max. Tone Max. Filter 11.

Drive 5. Grindy
    (i feel like my settings notes are wrong)

Drive 6. Dubby
    Drive off. Peak off. Gain 11. Tone Min. Filter Min.
  9. monsterthompson

an attempt to get some lo-fi sabbath tone. i feel like geezer's had some extra glassy sizzle string zing up top , and some mid-cut that i can't quite dial in. otherwise, this is a way lo-fi tone with just a touch of hair on it, recoded at a stupid low volume through my Monique with my Nash JB 63. it felt very right live, through my Mesa PH115, but the recording doesn't quite translate. the Monique tone without the Drive was pretty similar actually, but lacked that dubby low end and did't have any fur on it at all.

this is a very weird pedal. knob adjusting is a game of inches; just a dash of one, then play, then just a dash of another. the gain, tone and filter are all super related. the peak switch can be a radical change, though sometimes throwing it sends you into fuzzy overdrive, and other times it smooths things out, all depending on where you have the other knobs set. the level, drive, and gain controls are the "that's what i expected" controls. though, i'm finding less is more on the gain.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  10. Swift713

Swift713

Sounds pretty good. Seems like a versatile pedal.