Moogerfooger - any decent peers or just bite the bullet?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by edpal, Feb 26, 2014.

1. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    I've decided I want to split my signal on a few originals so I can drone on an uneffected low string while playing on a highly effected upper string(s). The Moog Fooger sounds great but is a little pricey. Anything decent out there that compares or should I just bite the bullet and get a Moog. And any thoughts on the different models of MF's (the pedals smart guy :D) would be nice.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Kinda hard to answer your query since each of the MF's do such different things. Which specific effect do you want? Only by figuring that out can we say whether there's anything less expensive that will also do it well.

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Which Moog has that feature? Have you checked out the EHX Freeze or Superego? I saw another new pedal recently that does this but can't remember for the life of me what it was!

4. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry guys, guess I wasn't clear. I am only looking for good low-pass/hi-pass filtering. So I can split my signal at a particular frequency. Give or take a few frets. Wasn't looking at the Fooger to provide an effect per se. Just want pass capability that I can dial in relatively close.

Dannybuoy - I see where you were going with your suggestions. The sounds cool but I have a sustain pedal that works great, that's what I'd probably put on the low half of my split signal.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

The Moogerfooger filter doesn't really do that -- it leaves you with just the lowpassed signal. Sounds like what you're after is a crossover filter. Something like this maybe?

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Agreed, the MF is the wrong tool for the job. I'd look at the X&M by sfx, or an FEA DB-CL.

8. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    DING<DING<DING - we have a winner! Was looking at the controls, that is exactly what I was hoping for.

Now I have to go check out Bongomania's suggestions. Thank you gents!!! Awesome. :bassist::bassist:

Review of the XMR is here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/[sfx]-x-m-crossover-mix-pedal-review-samples-741721/

SFX X&M is pretty close to the Rolls, a bit fewer controls to tweak. http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/xm/

The FEA DB-CL is more of a compressor but it is frequency controlled. Close but no cigar on that one.

9. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    Just bought the ROLLS SX-21 http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=SX21 recommended above. $59 used on ebay plus $8 for shipping. The seller is a store I go to infrequently but I can't drive 55 miles one way for $8.:p Looks like they run about $110-120 new.

With any luck I'll be twisting dial on it tomorrow, Saturday at latest.

Thanks again to all :bassist: