1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Moral Dilemma--Help!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by funkingroovin, Feb 9, 2013.

1. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

I'm having a helluva time trying to decide what to do here and would appreciate your opinions..

The Story..
    In '65 my dad bought a guitar through his uncle's music shop. He picked up a drop-dead gorgeous cherryburst Gibson es330(?) with all the trimmings..pearl blocks,bound neck/body,chrome P90s,dual-bar Bigsby,all the case candy..and then put it under the bed and forgot about it for nearly 50yrs. He literally never played it (acoustic bluegrass was his thing) and only opened the case once in a while to check the humidifier disc. This last Christmas he passed it on to me,which was quite a shock coming from the guy that made us pay back our hot-lunch money in grade school!

The problem..
    Well,obviously..I play bass. I noodle around occasionally on a six-string,and my skill level on one is limited to ham-fisting bar chords like an 80's glam rocker. I know it takes practice,but I would much rather work on Jamerson than Vai.
    So here I sit,staring at a museum-condition vintage guitar that(to the Gibby's benefit) I'll seldom use,contemplating what to do..I don't want to offend Dad,but I don't want to wait 'til he dies to do something with it(he's a very healthy 71,and will probably outlive me anyway)..and don't get me wrong,I fully appreciate the gesture,both monetarily and sentimentally..but I play bass ;)

Should I..
    A) Shut up,be grateful,and learn how to play a six'r properly

B) Trade it for some vintage or boutique-y bass goodness that I could actually put to use (he's practical to a flaw and might understand this)

C) Sell it,buy a nice bass,and give the remaining cash as a gift,or to send Mom/Pop on vacation,or ????

I haven't brought this up with the folks yet because I wanted some second opinions first and my wife,for once,refuses to opine..What would you guys do?
    DSC00988.JPG DSC00990.JPG

2. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Personally, I would consider it to be an heirloom, and continue to care for it. If you feel differently when your Dad passes - then you can sell it. Plus side - it will only appreciate in value. If you feel you can talk to him about it - share your thoughts with him. That may have been what he had in mind by giving it to you.

3. bassbombs84

bassbombs84

I vote for "A".

For years I was content just playing upright and electric bass. Ive recently gotten bitten by the guitar bug and been having a blast. This phenomenon is not uncommon amongst bassists.

If you get bitten later in life, you will never be able to get your dads old guitar back.

keep it and learn to rock with it.:)

4. Winfred

Winfred

Talk to your father. Ask him what he thinks.

Unless I were flat broke and living in a box, I wouldn't sell it. Later, after your father passes away, which hopefully won't be for many many years, maybe you sell it then.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. aguacateojos

aguacateojos Supporting Member

Take lessons on it - you'll gradually improve but you don't need to shred to benefit from playing it now. It will only make you a better and more rounded musician.

Then, if it doesn't work out, sell it and buy an amazing bass.

7. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Keep it, you'll never be able to replace it. Play some 80's glam rock in your bedroom every now and again if it floats your boat. This was a gesture by your dad you may not fully understand as of now. Obviously he thinks a lot of you and you love of music to pass it on to you. And congrats, most of us will never have an instrument of that history, let alone play one.

8. dvlmusic

dvlmusic Supporting Member

Oh man, I think you should keep it. Think about it this way - once it's gone you can never get it back. It's an heirloom, it's in mint condition, and it's value is only going to go up.

I normally don't care about that sort of thing, but this is an untouched 1965 ES-335 - hold on to that thing! The stories you hear of people discovering perfect vintage instruments tucked away are less and less nowadays. Trust me: hold on to that. You'll be kicking yourself something fierce if you sell it.

9. carl h.

carl h.

Keep it. It's costing you nothing and someday it may be just what you are in need of.

10. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

If I were you i would without a doubt keep it. You could very well end up regretting selling it, but will probably never regret keeping it.

Some day it will have sentimental value. Build or buy a wall cabinet for it and hang it on a wall for the world to see.

11. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

+1 here- speaking as (I assume) an older guy-I'm 61- i think this gift will become more important to you as you get older, whether or not you become a great guitar player. My dad died in 1990. When I was 18, he gave me some camera equipment- a complete 35mm Leica camera set, with 3 lenses, filters, etc., and a similar Rolleiflex setup. He also gave me a gold Swiss watch he got in 1945. Over the years, I struggled with whether or not I should sell the stuff- there were times when I really needed the money, and, quite frankly, I'm not a great photographer. Ultimately, I decided not to, as these were the most signifcant gifts my Dad gave me. I'm sure glad I still have them, as they are a great way for me to remember my Dad. I also like the idea of someday being able to give these things to my kids as a way to remember their grandfather. I mean, who knows? Maybe your kid will be a guitar player!

12. Shaky

Shaky

Hang on to it as long as you can. It will only go up in value. I bought a used es335 for about $700 back in the eighties turned around and sold it for around $1300 in the nighties. I kick myself every time I see what they are going for now. It would have only been worse if it had sentimental value to me.

13. Mike M.

Mike M.

Keep it and learn on it. I realized many years ago that, while I'm a decent bass player I'll never be the kind of player that will make people go "OMG!!!! He's fabulous!!!" Fine.

So, back in 1998 I decided to also learn guitar to broaden my horizons and while I'll never be a guitar hero (I'm also fine with that) I found out to my surprise that I can write my own songs. Not saying they're this, that or anything, but they're mine.

You never know what hidden talent lurks inside....and that guitar is beautiful!!!

14. funkingroovin

I agree with this entire post...and that's what's buggin' me.

I've been given the opportunity to own and play an irreplaceable piece of music history that most can only dream about,but my skill and desire to play guitar are an insult to said dreamers.

My dad(technically my step-dad for 33yrs) appreciates my love of music,but we've never been close or had a relationship by any standards..which makes his gift confusing.(In truth,I honestly wouldn't be surprised to get a bill for it someday) But I realize that he knowingly gave me something of value,although I know it holds no sentimental value to him.

The greedy little part of me wants to keep it just because of what it is..but I've always believed 'You can't take it with you,so enjoy it while you can'..For me,this would mean selling or trading it for drool-worthy bass gear,but I wouldn't want to be rude or seem ungrateful..I know I'm a bit stunted in the father/son dept,which is why I wanted other's insight..

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Two thirds of A: Shut up and keep it in good condition.

Learning to play guitar is optional. Having a valuable Gibson sitting safely in a case doesn't hurt you, nor does it compel you to learn how to play it.

Although if you're curious about playing guitar, you'll never have a better opportunity to learn.

16. Mike M.

Mike M.

You said that you've never been close to your step dad or have had any kind of relationship with him. Maybe, just maybe this is his way of trying to show what he really feels for you. Maybe this is his way of saying he want's to get to know you.

Just sayin'.

17. Epidrake

Epidrake

Definitely keep it.
    Better than money in the bank and way more beautiful.

18. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies

No way I would part with that unless I had to move all of my possessions underneath one of the local underpasses. My dad died suddenly last year, and although he and I weren't particularly close, the value to me of anything that was his has gone up significantly ... and nothing he had could hold a candle to this treasure that you have just inherited. If I were you I would tuck that case underneath your bed, and open it on occasion to check the moisture discs. Maybe you'll decide to learn it in a few years or not. Make the decision to cut it loose after he's pushing up the daisies ... You may feel quite differently about it then. Seriously.

19. funkingroovin

I might try to bring it up at tonight's gig..Would I be an ass to rationalize it as trading one vintage instrument that I won't really use for one of the same caliber that I would really use? He would still be giving me a cherishable keepsake,but one that I could enjoy to it's fullest..

20. Drunk Heffalump

Drunk Heffalump Tone that I have. Skill? Oh, that? Well....

21. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Keep it and pamper it. When you hit your dad's age, it will be worth an unimagingable fortune.