1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Moral dilemna - remove rad pickup from the 1st bass I ever owned?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by throbbinnut, Jan 5, 2014.

1. throbbinnut

throbbinnut

Alrighty guys. So I have a new Squire 51 P-Bass that I recently bought, but I've come to the conclusion that i really want to replace the single-coil pickup with a humbucker - it just seems like the humbucker sound is what I like. So. I have an old Fender Mud-bucker that i bought back in 1988 at a music store and slapped into my first bass - a cheap Kramer. No biggie, except that that bass was my first bass ever - and I added that pickup back in 1988 when I was 16 years old and I had no clue what I was doing. I didn't have access to a router, so I used a jig saw to cut out a hole. When Primus came out, I ripped the frets out of that bass and tried to learn how to play a fretless. That pickup made insane noises on amps that I learned how to build when I was in college. That bass was incredible back in the day.

Now, it's 20 years later. I haven't touched that bass in like 15 years. So, do I rip out the pickup and put it in the bass that I want to play, or leave it in the old Kramer fretless as some kind of museum piece?

[​IMG]

My gut says rip it out and use it, but my heart says don't screw up the old bass that gave you so many memories back in the college days feeding back amps I built when I was learning how to build stuff.

Thoughts?

Chris

2. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

You can always put it back in.

3. cba_bass

cba_bass

Spiders? Really? :/

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    He must be a fan of The Ox. ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Wow. There is a bass that looks equally ridiculous as my "experiment" bass (think green front with a Bullet Boys graphic, a red Van Halen back covered with autographs, Steve Vai monkey grip, a Kahler, clear pickguard over a top rout, and both fretted and fretless necks)!

First, spend a few weeks scouring ebay for a similar mudbucker. Failing that, just make sure you can put it back in the Spider-Bass.

BTW- never was a BB fan, but I liked the artwork.

7. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

I'd say rip it out and use it. Think of it as a piece of your first bass that is now part of something you use everyday (I know the PU isn't original, but it IS part of that bass).

I know how that feeling is - I was unreasonably upset when I found out my parents sold my first bass at a yard sale (for $20!!!) while I was away at college. Now I keep my second bass (which I rarely even pick up) close at home!

8. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Bingo.

9. throbbinnut

throbbinnut

Well, I was about 20 years old, and this here old internet didn't exist, and, well, that wouldn't've mattered anyway because I was an idiot. I'm pretty sure there's no other bass like it out there to this day...

Anyway, I think I'm just gonna have to rip the pickup out and use it. It's not doing me any good hanging out with the spiders, and lord knows once I'm dead, nobody is gonna care that it was some kind of heirloom. Use it or lose it, I guess. Routers - power up!

Rock,
    Chris

10. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

Why do you keep talking about routers and ripping it out? Far I know a pickup change its non-destructive.

11. MD

MD

There probably is, ya just have to search the web!

That's right, I said it!
    :eek: