More COPS gone wild....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by powderfinger, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powderfinger

powderfinger

2. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Watched the video. Where did it say they roughed up the Jay walker?
    They arrested her cause she would not give name, address, etc.
  3. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

former cop did that.

I haven't been in high school in 11 years. If I robbed a bank tomorrow they wouldn't say "high school student knocks over Bank of America."
  4. powderfinger

powderfinger

Then why did it take 4 big, strong bad ass warrior-cops to arrest a petite jogger? Why even bother her? She was freakin' jogging. This is a case of cops throwing their weight around bullying the **** out of everyone.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

I don't see where the police acted out of line.

There are laws, and their job is to enforce the laws.

The girl broke the law.

What's with the "warrior cops" bit?
  7. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Wrong, it's a case of the police trying to get people to obey the traffic/safety laws and minimize the moronathon that happens when people disregard the signs and lights.
  8. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

thats not illegal, its not a crime.

9. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

you mean you can't just pick and choose which laws you want to obey? who knew?
  10. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

This teeters right on the edge, but the jaywalker did some things during her arrest that didn't help. However, Art Acevedo and his officers have had their fair share of scandals and questionable responses to seemingly benign activities. Not to mention, he's tried to circumvent state and Federal law on certain matters in the past.

We were all happy when he was considering moving to another police force in another city, it would have been a nice change I'm sure.
  11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    If she gave her name, they would have given her a Jay-Walking ticket and sent her on her way. She chose first to ignore a request for her to stop so the cop grabbed her. Then she refused to identify herself. So she was arrested. I get it though. Nobody likes smart ass 'Robo' cops who have the wrong idea about their job. But don't give them a reason to get all 'smart assy' on you!
  12. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

+1
  13. fmoore200

fmoore200

I'll join the discussion before this thread reaches the inevitable lock-down.

I wish police would enforce more "benign offenses." Like Jay walking, bikers riding against traffic, those new bikes that have motors should be forced to obey traffic laws like any other *motor vehicle*, double parked cars, and my number grievance: littering. I would write tickets to people who throw trash on the ground all day.
  14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

I think there are a couple of problems here.

1st. You are required to have id and the police are legally entitled to identify you (with id) if you've committed a crime or infraction.
    2nd. If a police officer asked you to stop, and you don't then you can be viewed as non-compliant and now the situation has escalated.
    3rd. If the situation has escalated, then they are obliged to detain you until they can determine your identity (this often includes handcuffs and/or sitting back of car until they can determine who you are).

There have been two recent instances (both which I posted in the other thread) where a person didn't respond to a police officers verbal commands because their hearing was impaired (one with headphones, the other because the person was deaf). The police officers then escalated the situation because the lack of response, but instead of bringing it down a notch when they determined the reason why there was a lack of response, I can only gather that it was the adrenaline of the situation, they continued to escalate the situation. The deaf guy was tasered when they mistook his sign language as aggressive gestures, and the girl was cuffed and brought to the station (where I'm assuming she was released after they figured out who she was).

The mistake on this girls part was jogging without an ID (although many people do it because they want to be as light as possible). However, in my opinion, the police officers could have been much more effective educating the girl about the dangers of jaywalking in this area and let her go with a warning. Still, with that said, I can see that they were operating by the book. They didn't know who she was (despite the fact that they were freaking her out) so they couldn't write her a ticket, so they had to detain her until they could confirm her identify. Because on the flip side of this, what if this girl was a wanted felon with warrants for her arrest and they stopped her for jaywalking and then let her go only to discover that she committed another felony (murder, robbery, etc) after they had her in custody? Then we'd be reading about bumbling idiots that had a felon and let her go to commit more felonies.

To me, this is pretty much a dickhead move, they didn't have to escalate the situation, but they committed to stopping her because they didn't like the fact that she was 'ignoring' them (even though she probably didn't hear them). But, I don't think this is all that crazy. The chick is flipping out so much that they might have a psychogenic shock situation on their hands if they don't explain to her what's going on and calm her down.

However the deaf guy police tasered is a serious issue, as well as this particular chief of police who responded to this incident with the girl by making statements like 'she should consider herself lucky she wasn't sexually assaulted'. :scowl:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...didnt-deal-police-sexually-assaulted-her.html
  15. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    That happened here...and the news stories paint the cops as "good guys" each and every time.

The lady had her earbuds in, listening to her ipod while jogging. Couldn't hear anyone say "stop", and quite frankly, had no reason to stop.

The pigs were setup on that corner that day for the sole purpose of collecting revenue for the city. They issued thousands of dollars in tickets for the horrific crime of "jaywalking". When the lady kept jogging, no less than four of these panty-waste pansies took her down.

Oh, thank you, thank you, mr. Policeman for saving our lives and protecting our precious little children from those big, bad, evil jaywalkers.

****ers ought to be arrested for assault and thrown in general population with the rest of them people they put there. Maybe that'll bring some "justice".
  16. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

I will just reiterate, we would all be happy here if Art Acevedo got a job in another city.
  17. powderfinger

powderfinger

Id rather take my chances with jaywalkers on the loose than the run of the mill thugs posing as cops these days all over Murica.
  18. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Normally I'd agree, though someone was hit by a car in the same area they were set up at, a day or two after this woman was arrested. I feel like the J walking must be a big problem over there for them to station officers right on the campus.
  19. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    No Doubt.

Acevedo is a spokesmouth for the feds when it suits him, then tries to circumvent law when it suits him. If he had his way, every one of us would be disarmed and pinned under his jackboot.
  20. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    This is false. ID is not required unless operating a motor vehicle. Being in public does not require any ID.
  21. powderfinger

powderfinger

That's what cops do.... they are revenue collectors, just like the henchman of the Sheriff of Nottingham. They hide in bushes like cowards setting speed traps. They stake out jay-walkers. They do random checks points, East Germany style, in many states. It's all in the name of safety, but I guarantee you, it's about MONEY MONEY MONEY....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.