1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

More Lynyrd Skynyrd

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mellowinman, Nov 26, 2013.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman

Few people know the reason we play "Freebird." The fact is, early on, I had to get my wife's approval for every song I wanted to add to her precious setlist. She ruled the band like an iron-fisted dictator, and when I said I wanted us to learn "I Know a Little" from the "Street Survivors" album, (in my opinion, their very best work,) she complained that no one would know it.

In truth, I think she just didn't want to master the bass line. She said we should play a more well-known Skynyrd song, and I said under no circumstances would I play "Sweet Home Alabama," and she wanted "Tuesday's Gone," or "Simple Man."

I said, "well, people already shout out 'Freebird,' so why not play that?" and that's how that started.

Anyway, our guitar player has been playing some of the guitar breakdown from "I Know a Little," at some of our rehearsals lately, and he and the drummer want to play it. I spent a few hours working on the twenty or so second piano solo, and it appears I am possibly going to be able to nail it.

I know, I know, probably to some people it doesn't sound all that hard, but for me, this is a major accomplishment. I can already do it at about 3/4 speed, and I know if I just keep working it, I will pull it off, and we will do the song.

It's a great song; probably one of my all-time favorite Southern Rock songs.

So the fun just keeps on coming.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I love that song! Hats off to your guitar guy if he nails it. Most don't. Sweet walking bass line. Great stops. Laid back feel but still a kickin song. I played it in a band for over a decade. Went over well here.
  3. Spectrum

Spectrum

Evryone says they hate Freebird, but the fact is if you are out in a club somewhere and a band plays it right people love it, especially if you can rock the guitar solo part with copious amounts of rocket sauce.

No one wants to hear it on the radio, but live it's awesome.

In my area there's a bluegrass band that covers it and the singer babe does the solo on her fiddle. It's kind of cool, but that solo needs to be about 3 times longer to satisfy. They really only do it as a half joke because of the yahoo in every bar who yells it out.
  4. modulusman

modulusman

Well the big question is can your wife play the bass line.
  5. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

X2

That bass line is no joke. Its not so much the technical parts......but the speed at which they are played.
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

It (Skynyrd) is a touchy subject here in Alabama. Either you are a hick who plays it (badly) until everyone else pukes, or you have too much respect for the legacy to sully it with tying to pull off NFN covers, but enjoy doing (for example) a reggae version of Sweet Home. Then you have the (mostly) younger generation who sees the current lineup and says "I don't understand all the hoopla".

Several years ago Pink Floyd played at Legion Field in Birmingham and the next week in the UAB student paper was a cartoon of a packed stadium with a stage up front and over the crowd was a balloon coming from some random person in the crowd, containing these words.

"Hey Floyd!! Play sum Skynyrd!!"

I don't have a bit of doubt in my mind this cartoon was inspired by the artist attending the Pink Floyd show and hearing someone yell out those very words, in earnest. There are still plenty of local venues where patrons will come up during setup and want to know "what kind of Skynyrd have ya'll got for us tonight?"

So yea, Skynyrd is still a BIG deal for some folks down in these parts.

I'm in the reggae version of Sweet Home crowd myself.
  7. kikstand454

We do "the breeze" and "three steps". But we also do "the hunt".

Nice change of pace.

Additionally I have played "that smell", "Tuesdays gone", " gimme back my bullets" , "free bird" and " Curtis Lowe" with other bands.

The right tip will get us to play Alabama or simple man.

Hey, I'm in Florida...2hrs west of where they're from...... skynard is what you do here.
  8. mellowinman

mellowinman

I think she can.

The bigger question is still can I nail the piano part.

I just played the whole song, singing the lead vocal, and playing the chords on the keyboard, along with the studio recording.

I find that I can play a lot of that solo, but that stupid upward run is where my lack of fingering technique really comes into play.

I have to do the thing I hate most; play it at half speed (or less,) about a zillion times, being highly aware of an efficient fingering that allows me to do my crossovers so that it's not just a bunch of ugly slop.

(although at that speed, if it were a bunch of slop, my whole band would say, "wow! you're really great!" which annoys me to no end, BECAUSE I'M NOT, and I'm not playing it correctly)

Krystal is one hell of a great bass player, and if she puts her mind to it, she can play some wicked stuff. She has played with some famous people before, just in fun jams, or at sound checks, and back in the day, she played some Iron Maiden, and other such stuff.

I mean, I do think we can do a good cover of this song, but every time we do it well, I feel like we should all get some kind of medal, or something. That's the problem with these more challenging tunes; you don't really get any more credit for playing them than you do for playing, "All Right Now."

Well, except for the credit you give yourself, I guess.

Hey, it's just a great song, we should play well.

I also want to do "Honky Tonk Nighttime Man."

That song rocks!
  9. Humbled

Humbled

I was playing bass on and singing "I know a Little" when I was 22 years old.

I didn't have much of a grounding in Southern Rock at the time, but it was standard fare for the band I got hired into. I also sang all the Dickey Betts and Danny Joe Brown parts in the covers we did. We had a good piano player who also switched-off on fiddle, pedal steel, and as the third electric guitar when needed.

The hardest-to-master bass part I did at the time was "Heard It On The X", IIRC.

We did "Honky Tonk Nighttime Man" too...

...Sounds Like Roy... :)
  10. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

I've never been in a band that played any Skynyrd & would have loved the opportunity. Check out Ed Kings isolated bass with drums track of Freebird on what I read somewhere is Leon Wilkeson's Jazz bass.
  11. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

I'm wrong it was Ed King's 64 Jazz bass. Leon inherited it & played that bass on some 2nd helping songs & was told later to break it on stage by Ronnie Van Zant, presumably because he was still mad at Ed King for bailing.
  12. kikstand454

I would've politely told Ronnie to go f*** himself.
    Great recording....thanks!

OP- do it. While the audience may not appreciate the work and intricacies that are going on.....you and the band will. Its rare that you find a song that's rewarding for both the band and the audience.
  13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    About 10 years ago, I was touring with an original boogie blues band. We used to do a couple of covers including "I Know A Little". It always went over very well.
  14. anderbass

anderbass

Poison whiskey and Needle and the spoon are usually my choice to cover, because (besides being very cool tunes) radio stations played them just enough to be recognizable, but not so often to burn-em out.
  15. kikstand454

Oh yeah! I forgot......we used to do "needle and the spoon" too!
    Great fun!
  16. sm49341

sm49341

Hey mellow, back to the freebird bass line. It's no joke I agree. That is the only song I couldn't t get by ear off the album. One big reason for that is that you simply can't pick it out of the mix very wel. Tell ur wife. There is a YouTube vide where someone somehow has the actual studio bass track. It's isolated to just the bass. It was pretty easy to nail it down once you could hear it. It's one of the best bass lines ever laid down IMHO. What I was playing before hearing this track was simply not doing justice.
  17. Hues

Hues

18. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

I even had that one bookmarked but when I went to find it, YouTube told me this:
    It may still be out there somewhere but I expect it'll take more digging...
  19. sm49341

sm49341

This was a few years ago when I watched the video so it's could be blocked now. It was the actual studio Track. Seem to remember there was a guitar track as well. Pretty typical for this type of stuff to get blockedd
  20. OldDog52

OldDog52

The isolated bass-drums on Freebird is, umm, a revelation. Amazing. Thanks for the link.