More Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by yeldarb69, Oct 24, 2013.

1. yeldarb69

yeldarb69 Supporting Member

I am going to try a new setup,something different from my GK rig.I am looking for an older type of sound with good heavy bottom and nice highs.I have two rigs in mind but unfortunately i cannot try them out so i have come to my TB brethren for help.The two rigs are an Ashdown ABM 610 with an EVO 500 head or an Ampeg SVT 3 with their 610 cabinet.I will be playing a Spector bass.Which would you choose?
  2. yeldarb69

Anyone have any input ?
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Between those two rigs I would go with the Ampeg. Just remember that you need to push the gain hard on the SVT-3 to really open up the amps power and tone.
  4. Matt B

Matt B

A few years back I used a SVT3 pro into a 4x10 HLF and went away from it in favor of an Evo 500 and Ashdown ABM cab.

IME the EVO was a way better head in terms of versatility, clarity and headroom. The SVT3 had nothing on it. I did prefer the ampeg cab tho... I hope that helps
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I like both of those amps, wouldn't mind having either one. I don't have any experience with the Ashdown cab. The Ampeg 610?...meh. Something in the mids seems like it can get all smeared together, or not be as defined or precise as it should be to me. They are ballsy in the lower registers and have a tweeter on top.
  7. Matt B

Matt B

This could be the reason I did not like it much. The little clip light was always on even at low gain settings so I never felt comfortable pushing it harder. This may be why I always found it to be weak sounding...
  8. Matt B

Matt B

Oh. One more thought. The SVT DI was a bit normal sounding when it was working and always needed an external one. The Ashdown DI worked really well...
  9. yeldarb69

Thanks for the input.I really wish i could find someplace close to Pennsylvania,that i could try them out.