1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

More Power - Ampeg Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mapleglo, Feb 8, 2014.

1. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

So I went to an audition today and brought my Amepg Micro VR with the 2 cabinets. There were two guitars and a drummer, and we played mostly classic rock. I'd say that both the guitars played at what I'd call a "moderate" volume. I didn't feel the need to put in the ear plugs I brought along.

[​IMG]

This was the first time I used this amp in a band setting. I'd say that the Micro VR kept up with the volume, but with the gain at a little over half (about 1 o'clock), and the volume at 3/4 (about 3 o'clock), and the limiter lighting up like a christmas tree, I was pushing the amp. It stayed clean, which is the kind of sound I like, and I wasn't using any pedals - straight in from the Ibanez bass.

I'm wondering if we were playing live at a gig (assuming I pass the audition), if this head will be enough. I'm thinking that I may trade in the Micro VR for something like a PF500.

So, a couple of questions.

Will these cabinets handle the additional power from the PF500 cleanly? Will a jump from 200 watts to 500 watts be enough to satisfy my appetite for enough power? Does anyone have this combination, and have any comments regarding the performance?

And finally, the cabs are 13" wide, the PF 500 is 14" wide - will the overhang look goofy?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

2. middy

middy

What were your eq settings?

3. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

I have had the same concern myself. I have the same rig as you do (minus 1 cab). I was also wondering if and when I link up two AV210 cabs, can they handle a PF 500 or other 500W head?

I would think that there is some latitude when pairing heads with cabs, despite incongruity with head output and cab/spkr handling. I would be hard-pressed to think the speakers would blow. I also like to believe that most speaker cabs, like heads, tend to be conservatively rated, but take that with a heavy grain of salt.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    The 210av's are medium duty cabs and won't take a huge pounding. They'll take a little more than a Micro VR can dish out, but I use two of them sometimes with a PF350 and I think I could blow them if I wasn't careful. You should be able to get a little bit louder with a PF350 or 500 but the cabs do have their limits. Know when to say when and you'll be OK. As for the overhang, I doubt it would bother me too much.

If your band, however, plays at the volumes you played at rehearsal, you should be alright. I've played with that rig at that level and it's certainly plenty for my oldies band, and we're not ear ripping loud but we're not exactly quiet and we have a horn section. I've also used it on a couple classic rock gigs where I've had to carry the room, too, and it's done well, though again, we weren't trying to be louder than Metallica or anything.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

I have two of the 210AV cabs with a PF500. I sounds great to me. I can run it clean or with some dirt depending on how much gain I dial in. I've heard it sounds very similar to the micro VR but with more power. You just have to listen to your cabs when it comes to cranking up. You can blow them with the PF500 but just be sensible about it.

The head hangs over about 1/2" on each side. You may want to rig a little shelf to sit on. I did.

[​IMG]

7. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

One more pic. Man I love this rig!
    [​IMG]

8. mapleglo

Bass was at 12:00, mid and highs were at 10:00.

Thanks for all the replies. I may start my journey in the classified sections. I seem to remember a few for sale over the past several weeks. Of course, I am still waiting to hear back from the BL.

Thanks for posting the pictures, SuperK, that eases my concern about the looks. Nice job on the shelf!

9. middy

middy

Try it with the mids at 2:00 to 3:00. Mids are where most of your volume is at. No wonder you didn't cut through. It may sound weird by itself, but it will sound better than before in the band mix.

10. dmac1961

dmac1961 Supporting Member

A pair of 210AV's match up very well with a PF-500, and looks good too. I've used this rig in a variety of gigs, and have had no problems getting enough volume. I've never worried about the speakers not handling the juice, if anything, I would be more concerned with the PF-500 making it through the gig. That being said, I would be more inclined to pair them with a PF-800.

11. mapleglo

I was thinking lowering the mids would result in a more vintage/retro sound, but this makes sense. I'll boost the mids a bit next time.

I'll keep my eyes on the classified section and local craig's list. The PF800 might be a bit much as far as cost is concerned, but it would certainly be enough power. I'd just have to listen carefully as the power ratings on the amp (800w) far exceeds the cabs (200w x 2 = 400w).

I may end up looking for a whole new rig altogether, assuming I go with this band. Maybe 2 cabs with a single 15 in each. I'm somewhat constrained by my own strength in moving the cabs (where the SVT210AV shines), and the need for that vintage low end thump, along with the trunk size of my Honda Civic. There's a couple of BXT 15's available locally, though the asking price is a bit high, or a couple of BA115's available at a much more reasonable price.

12. dmac1961

dmac1961 Supporting Member

I wouldn't forego the 210's on perceived power limitations alone. I bought mine because a.) I wanted that sealed 10" sound and b.) portability. I have an 810 flat back and they give me that type of sound with little compromise. I have also driven them pretty hard with my old SVT, so I have no doubts they can handle the power, within reason of course. +1 on boosting the mids to get more out of what you have.

13. mapleglo

Agreed, I love the sound of the sealed 10s. I'll wait until I try again with boosted mids, before I go shopping.

14. mapleglo

Just an FYI on this issue. I saw that Amazon was running a deal for the PF 800 for $400.00 plus $12.99 shipping, and since used ones are going for $450, and new they are $599, I just pulled the trigger on this.

[​IMG]

Now I just need to save up for 2 more SVT210AV cabinets, and I'll have what amounts to an SVT with 8 - 10's, that comes apart for easy loading.

15. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

You can't run 4 of those cabs with that head. They're 8ohm cabs and 4 of them equal 2ohms. The PF800 won't go below 4ohms.

16. mapleglo

I can wire each pair of cabs in series, yielding 16 ohms per pair, and then wire those in parallel, yielding 8 ohms. I'll have 400 watts total in that configuration.