More solo bass stuff

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Michael Glynn, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

It's been a little while so I figured it was about time to post some more bass solo pieces. This time I also recorded video, which has been good for my practicing. I've noticed issues with technique that I never really caught when just practicing in front a mirror.

Here they are, warts and all. Friendly criticism and advice gladly accepted.

Alone Together
    Beautiful Love
    Invitation
    Sí Beag, Sí Mór

2. iona bass

iona bass Supporting Member

Really beautiful playing, Michael. ( All 4 ).
    Where is "Si Beag, Si Mor" from?
    Thanks for posting.

3. Treyzer

Treyzer

That was great Michael. I will want to listen more than one time. They were all great and "But Beautiful" was stellar.

Cheers

4. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Thanks guys. Si Beag, Si Mor is an old Irish tune. From the very end of the 1600s or somewhere thereabouts.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I know Si Beag from the playing of Mike Marshall. Really nice, Michael.

7. Vipersassasin

Vipersassasin

Wow, that last one is absolutely gorgeous!!! As far as technique I did notice the thumb on the back of the fingerboard isn't always in "perfect" form, but then again, we upright players tend to cheat when it comes to the thumb huh?

8. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Thanks, interesting you noticed that about the left thumb. If you were mostly referring to Si Beag, Si Mor I think some of it is just technical laziness (a constant problem for me!), but some of it is intentional. In those parts where I play harmonics and then play fingered notes under them, I had to be super careful not to touch the strings that were already ringing with the harmonics. The slightest touch would instantly mute them. I did some weird contortions of the left hand to avoid that. You can see my other fingers lifted way up in the air as well, just to be safe. There is some of that going on in But Beautiful as well.

I've noticed that sometimes when I start to put my left hand and thumb in weird positions for whatever reason though, I often have a little trouble transitioning back to a more proper and effective technique for more standard playing. For example, I recorded Alone Together right after I had done some of those slower tunes with the harmonics and I noticed that my left hand is sloppier there than in Invitation, which was recorded a little later after I had time to "re-center" myself a little technique-wise (although there are still plenty of issues there, too). IMO there is a clear and definite impact on the clarity and punchiness of tone when my left hand is in a better position. So that's something I've been working on.

9. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Yeah, But Beautiful and Si Beag were my favorites - I much prefer stuff where the melody is stated relatively clearly. Regardless, even in the other ones you kept quoting the melody which was nice. I love your use of double stops and harmonics. Very tastefully done.

I don't particularly care what the thumb does so long as nobody gets hurt, the tone is there, and the player stays relaxed.

Thanks for sharing.

10. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Thanks, I like to try out different kinds arrangements for different tunes. On the ballads, I think it's particularly nice on bass to really focus on the melody. I hardly do any real blowing at all on those two. On Invitation I've been experimenting with playing the whole thing kind of rubato while keeping the form and playing most/all of the melody at some point. Alone Together was kind of off the cuff, so I didn't have much of a plan for that one, but it turned out kind of like Invitation, but with a free-ish intro and then going into tempo after the first chorus.

Absolutely. Unfortunately, I've been having issues with all three of those things, so I'm trying to be more careful with my left hand. Some of those 2 to 4 note chords can't really be done with "proper" left hand position, though. At least not by me...