1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

More tube stuff! Fender Musicmaster Bass Combo

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by pharaohamps, Jul 30, 2013.

1. pharaohamps

pharaohamps Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Disaster Area Amps
    OK, here's something that's completely impractical as a gigging bass rig - the Fender Musicmaster Bass. This one is the 6V6 version - tubes are 12AX7, 6V6, 6V6. Solid-state rectifier, and uses an interstage transformer as a phase inverter. The original speaker is long-gone, but it has a period Alnico 12" installed. The new speaker is probably out of something like an Ampeg guitar cab, and it sounds great in this application. The MMB puts out maybe 15 watts on a good day, downhill, with a tailwind. It's probably the least "Fendery" Fender ever made.

This one was originally sold by Don's Music City in Burlington, NC. Pretty much all the music gear in that part of the state came from Don's right up until Shomaker's opened up in the mid '80s. I know the B-15S I played in high school Jazz Band had the same sticker on the back, as does the B-15N I play now :)

The 6V6's are removed in the pics, but are included. The amp has been re-capped and has had the AC cord replaced. The amp sounds great and is killer for recording. You could probably gig with it as a guitar amp if you're not in a metal band. Own a nice piece of Fender history (especially if you have a Musicmaster Bass guitar!) for only $300 plus shipping. If you're in NC, I'll meet you within a reasonable distance of Raleigh for gas money and / or tacos.

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Supporting Member

Wow. This is just like my first bass amp - cool vintage vibe, better for guitar than bass. GLWTS.
  3. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

I just picked one of these up a few weeks ago.
    It sounds absolutely amazing through my Ampeg 210AV. It's important to get the right tubes in it though. My favorite are the the JJ 6V6's and a JJ ECC803. It is VERY sensitive to 12AX7 changes.
    Great recording amp! A DI and mic on this thing will make magic.
  4. pharaohamps

Disclosures:
    This one will ship with JJ6V6s tubes. Bump
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

I think this is a great price for this amp.
    It's rumored that the bass on the newest Black Keys album was recorded with this amp.
  7. pharaohamps

Disclosures:
  8. pharaohamps

Disclosures:
  9. Personatech

Personatech

Aw man, that was my very first amp EVER, purchased new at the Music Loft in Durham!! Think I traded it in on a Yamaha B100 back in the day...

I should also mention that Matthew is a stand-up guy to deal with!
  10. pharaohamps

Disclosures: