Most expensive cities

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bmc, Mar 4, 2014.

1. bmc

bmc

Every year, a number of different sources publish rankings of cities based on cost, quality of life, safety, etc.

This is a good indicator for some of you have or are considering moving to any of these cities. One thing I have learned, having moved to a city consistently in the top ten expensive cities, is that salaries are commensurate with the cost of living. Furthermore, in some cases, your disposable income to spend on fun stuff is higher than you would expect.

Living abroad is a great life experience. We left Canada for a two year adventure abroad and have been gone sixteen years.

http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2014/03/04/and-the-worlds-most-expensive-city-is/?mod=e2fb

2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Must admit that I thought New York or London would have been on there.

Re-higher salaries in expensive cities, I think it depends on what you do, a lot of the science jobs I've seen based in London have a little bump for being London-based, but generally not much (hell, they are quite often lower paying). Though that is certainly just the avenue I've been keeping an eye on, not other fields.

3. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I remember seeing a list like this maybe five-six years ago, and the top three where Tokyo, NY and Oslo. Not anymore apparently.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bmc

bmc

That's an net resting link. I would have expected NYC to be higher. I love the Bay Area.

I googled "average apartment rental in Geneva" and found this interesting site. If anyone is considering a move abroad, this is really valuable info when negotiating salaries. It gives good cost of living.

To see it in USD, go to www.xe.com to convert currencies.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Switzerland&city=Geneva

According to this website, average after tax monthly salary is USD 7,000.

bmc

7. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

That's really funny...because just today Forbes released a report which claimed that New York City was tied with Honolulu for The Most Expensive City In The US. So if no US cities made it onto that WSJ list, I'm not so sure I want to live abroad anymore!

8. bmc

bmc

Don't compare apples to oranges. Check out the numbeo site and look at average salaries. If you lived abroad, depending on what kind of work you do, you could expect to earn more than you do now.

If you are a gigging musician, you can expect to be paid a minimum of $300 per guy per night. That's the starting price. If your band is popular, it goes up from there. Baby sitters charge between $75-100 a night. Everything costs more here, but, people tend to earn more here, to offset the high cost of living.

9. bmc

bmc

Check this out. Geneva compared to SFO.

Indices Difference
    Consumer Prices in Geneva are 68.05% higher than in San Francisco
    Consumer Prices Including Rent in Geneva are 35.58% higher than in San Francisco, CA
    Rent Prices in Geneva are 1.88% higher than in San Francisco, CA
    Restaurant Prices in Geneva are 86.78% higher than in San Francisco, CA
    Groceries Prices in Geneva are 53.73% higher than in San Francisco, CA
    Local Purchasing Power in Geneva is 21.84% higher than in San Francisco, CA

This from that numbeo site.