Most fartbag amp or cab you've ever played through?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Triclops, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

For me, It was my first "serious" combo I ever owned. The old blue carpeted Yorkville 400B ...

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

The one I'm playing through right now. Crate BT-350, Hartke Transporter 2x10 and Ashdown MAG115. It hella sucks!

Saving up for an all tube head.

3. Spencer!

Spencer! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Stompbox designer/builder for 3Leaf Audio
    The old Roland Cube. I absolutely hated the sound of that thing!

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Hartke head, Hartke 4X10 transporter.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Triclops

Triclops Guest

lol ...This is gonna be hilarious!(and informative)....

7. Aarix

Aarix

Old Crate gray rat fur coverd 200W amp. No idea what the model was, but it had a powerful graphic EQ that could shape the sound all the way from whoopie cushion to baby squirrel farts.

I also really liked the feature where it would melt anything plastic (like cords) near the back of the amp.

I think I used that on stage with Derek Trucks for an opening act "blues jam" when he played my local high school once though... Fortunately the sound guy had the sense to use a DI. I was told that it sounded ok out front, but I couldn't hear squat. That thing cut through a mix like squirrel butt.

8. Rattman

Rattman

This is worse I think...

We were talked into playing a "Battle of the Bands" contest at a last's minutes notice. I asked the people in charge: "Do I need to bring my bass rig?" And they said "no..no, everything you need is right there on stage, just show up with your bass/band and play your 3-song set list.."

So we show up, plug in and... sure enough, that Bassman cab was blown bad! No way to EQ around it.. sounded like the cones were half way off the frame, had a worse sound than those old "fuzz boxes" kids used at one time.

Grrrrr! I hate using untested gear, and relying on someone else's word that "everthing works fine"

9. Kael

Kael

OK, please bear in mind that this is just my opinion.

Mesa 400+ into a mesa 210. Sat in for a set with a group and used the bassists rig. WAY too grindy. Of course I only had about two or three minutes to try and get the gain structure, but I could not get anything even remotely approaching a clean sound. In case you can't tell I don't particularly care for overdrive. To be fair the other bassist of the evening sounded great through it, I just don't like that tubey overdrive. Maybe I could have squeezed a workable tone out of it if I had more time to play with it. Guess I'm just partial to the cleaner sound of my thunderfunk/EA rig.

Once again not my cup of tea, but I've heard it work great for others.

10. detracti

detracti

Ampeg B-2R with a single Ampeg SVT-15E cab.

11. lateralus423

lateralus423

LMAO

12. Triclops

Triclops Guest

13. CraigG

CraigG

Ashdown EB12-180. Pure junk. Sent it back after spending 2 weeks hoping I'd find the secret to making it sound half decent.

14. spideyjg

spideyjg

Behringer 300 watt amp into a Basson 4X10 that needs a lot of power. Per Basson
    Nothing but whooo whoooo whoooo. No definition at all. :spit:

Jim

15. Roundwound

Roundwound

I used to have this Crate 12" 60W combo. I got that thing to fart worse than my grandfather (RIP)!

16. KarateKid25

KarateKid25

Behringer BX1200 120w Combo. Kinda sounds like I have thrown the amp into a muddy swamp and am now standing next to the swamp attempting to play it. No definition & muddy. It really sucks :)

17. Triclops

Triclops Guest

I tried out the new Behringer BXL 1800 112 180 watt combo for a weekend,and guess what! .......it sucked big time.

18. chadds

chadds

A large concert on the National Mall by the Wash. Monument. I love SWR and the Big Bertha provided had been run hard and put away wet. You could see the cone move while it farted like exlax in a diarrhea ward. The sound man blamed my Ravens Labs mdb-1. The farting continued after it was out of the chain.
    Had an audition in a studio where I had to wear headphones that were coming out of a Tascam recorder. Every note was fahrtissimo. I could barely play. Not a pleasing Jack Bruce thing at all.

19. dave_p

dave_p

80's peavy mark IV through a horn loaded cervin vega PA cabinet(complete with chicken wire mesh) with a 15" electrovoice woofer and a blown tweeter.

20. Smidge

Smidge

My first Amp, A Price, 90watts of pure wet baby fart! It couldn't handle the low e let alone the low b needless to say that lasted all of 2 weeks. (it took two weeks cause i had to wait for my new amp to arrive

21. DAcat

DAcat

I tried out Behringer's new 450 Watt head ....and with no prior experience with this brand,I was seriously disappointed. The tone was poor:eyebrow: ,the bass boost just made it sound like mush:eek: ,it was buzzing loudly all the time:confused: ,and at times it sounded as if a radio station was about to be broadcast through my speakers:mad: . The Vu-meter did'nt work either:rollno: . All in all it seemed like it was cheaply built and sounded that way too:( . It was played through a Schroeder 410 cab and an Avatar 210 cab with essentially the same results. I sent it packing right away:D ...Peace...DAcat:cool: