1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Most favorite(s) bass solo in a song?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mastershake, Jun 1, 2011.

1. mastershake

mastershake

i wouldnt be surprised if this has been ask before. preferably one that dosn't go overboard on upper register.
    i might be breaking my own rule here but one of my faves is by Victor Wooten on the song 'My name is Victa' i believe he's using a 4 strings 24 fret.

edit note: the name of this thread was changed from 'The best bass solo in a song'
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    First thing that comes to mind is the little 2 measure bass melody at the tail end of "Witch Hunt" from Rush off Moving Pictures... so fitting to the mood / emotion of the tune, but it always leaves me wanting for more.

So I'll have to put "Heart of the Sunrise" by Yes off Fragile as my 'favorite'

(there is no best in music... no expression can be absolute, it's subjective)
  3. mastershake

mastershake

this i realize i just put 'best' because it just sounded good in the title.
  4. rouge127

rouge127

Just to get it out of the way.....Geddy Lee in "Freewill"
  5. wmheilma

wmheilma

6. wmheilma

wmheilma

7. trayner1

trayner1

I don't mean to be stereotypical, but Rush's "La Villa Strangiato" deserves high accolades for guitar wizardry, drum virtuosity, and possibly the greatest short bass solo in the history of man. Geddy also does fine work in live performances of "Driven" and "Leave That Thing Alone."
    He is matched only by Chris Squire, whose work in "Heart of the Sunrise" is simply a revelation.
  8. drooldud

drooldud

Rancid - Maxwell Murder -- Apparently i'm of another generation :S
  9. EricssonB

EricssonB

The opening phrase of "Schism" by Tool.

No, not really. I honestly can't think of anything by Chancellor that could be considered a traditional solo.

So for sake of not closing this tab and lack of interest on looking thru my music archive, I'll say "(-) Ions" by Tool.

YouTube - ‪Tool - Cesaro Summability‬‏

Had a friend recreate this on his whammy once. My parents had to build a new house.
  10. Lawkeeper

Lawkeeper

John Paul Jones' bass slap solo in Them Crooked Vultures' Scumbag Blues, live at Cologne '09. That was brilliant.
  11. mastershake

mastershake

that song with tal is one of my faves as well. shes got another one i really like as well that she plays at the crossroads fest i just wasn't sure if what she was playing was improve.the solo on 'free will' is another fav. i still haven't gotten around to listening to the song james suggested yet.its kind of late to be blasting music were i am right now and i dont have head phones.
  12. behndy

behndy

"AHHHHHHHHH!!!"

"wait, wait! why are you running away?"

"drums.... the drums stopped...."

"so? what does it mean when the drums stop?"

*wide eyed. FEAR*

"..... BASS SOLO!!"
  13. mastershake

mastershake

leave that thing alone' is another good one by geddy it sounded good in the rush in rio concert and i almost forgot about 'maxwell murder' i remember hearing that back in high school/junior high during the grockster/morpheus era
  14. mastershake

mastershake

oh and before i forget OT, unless u already know you should check out this other female bass player her name is BassIda a.k.a. Ida Funkhouser. shes sponsored by tc electronics i believe
  15. EricssonB

EricssonB

16. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

Paul S. Denman's solo in Sade's "Smooth Operator" has long been one of my favorites.
  17. EricssonB

EricssonB

I was too caught up in the weapon transfer to notice the bass solo. Had to watch again! This is intense stuff!

Edit: I thought that the bassist was sitting in a stool, explaining the high positioning of the bass. Nope. His bass strap is simply a short necklace - loves playing with his laryngeal prominence.
  18. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

A wilhelm scream - the horse

Most awesome bass solo I can think of...
  19. mindinspace

mindinspace

a couple incubus songs -

the bridge in redefine, simple yet soooooo sick
    live version of sick sad little world

and i'll throw in around the world by rhcp just cuz its flea, and flea is a badass
  20. TomA1234

TomA1234

I'll vote Aeroplane and Naked in the Rain by RHCP.
    Aeroplane has an awesomely funky bass solo.