1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Most Important Bass Sounds!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by manfish, Dec 26, 2013.

1. manfish

manfish

So youre eclectic and love lots of different music. You want to access most major bass sounds for your work as a studio and live player, writer, composer, producer, etc. What are the sounds you would / should have? and what gear gets those sounds? How many basses would you need? Many of these sounds crossover a lot. JMJ would be most useful here!

Ill start as per my taste and work life, with a list and you add your own lists or additions.

Motown P bass w/ dead flats or muted
    Beatles: small bodied hollow w flats Hofner or similar
    Later Beatles; Solid (Rick) w plastic coated strings
    Thuddy 60s: Stones, Spencer Davis: larger Hollow w flats
    Muted 60s ala Gainsbourg. flats and foam
    Fat Jacks (ie Bruce and Cassidy) HB and flats Gibson, Guild
    Classic Rock: P bass type flat, half rnd or older rw
    Prog: Fender or Rick with rounds Wetton, Squire
    Aggressive Rock, Punk. Not far off prog Burnel, Buckler (imho its the solo to My Generation that started it all).
    DUb ya: deep Dub, Trip hop, Hiphop, art-rock. PIL
    OG Funk; Larry Graham (flats?),
    Funk; Bootsie , P Funk cats , JB
    modern alt Funk; Flea, RATM Musicman etc
    Hi Fi Aggressive ala Entwistle Humbuckers also Industrial
    Fretless
    8 string as in 4 pairs.
    Sub E: I prefer BEAD 4 string to a 5 strng
    Upright
    That's off the top of my head.