Most Innovative Luthier

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BlistryFingas, Jan 17, 2013.

1. BlistryFingas

BlistryFingas

Attached Files:

2. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

There have been a few people around here that have built twisted neck basses. Lots of interesting geometry involved.

lowsound

3. BlistryFingas

BlistryFingas

I imagine they feel great to play-- especially up by the head where usually your wrist has to sorta' contort. *want*

4. suraj

suraj

That is some of the coolest work I have seen. Building a fanned fret myself, I don't buy the ergonomic aspect of it, but a twisted neck seems it would be quite a comfortable modification. Doing both together is entering some seriously complex geometry-land, at least for me ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Matthijs

Matthijs

Would it not be impossible to make thrusrod adjustable neck this way? So the neck would have to be extremely rigid and aimed at on level of string tension.

7. Marty Forrer

Marty Forrer

A twisted neck is comfortable because we have all got in the habit of playing with the instrument parallel or nearly so to the floor. A straight neck is perfectly comfortable if the bass is played at around 45 degree angle or so. An extreme of this was Bill Wyman, who went nearly vertical, but many players from 60s bands used to play at a good angle. This has almost disappeared now. I find it very comfy at an angle, but then I play double bass too, so I'm quite accustomed to holding my left arm up and having an imaginary tennisball held between my left elbow and my left side.

8. anezthes

anezthes

Source: http://littleguitarworks.com/torzal-natural-twist/frequently-asked-questions/