Most neutral (least coloration or sonic signature) Bass amp out there?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by larryelwood, Jan 13, 2013.

1. larryelwood

larryelwood Supporting Member

Hi All,

Wondered if anyone out there could comment on this? I'm looking for opinions on the most neutral sounding (when set flat) bass amp available.

Thanks!

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Really too many variables for me (at least) to be able to answer this. Are we talking about tube vs. solid state? Tube amps, in general, have their own character, depending on the tubes (power or preamp).

There are some reputed transparent preamps out there that you could couple with a power amp and perhaps get the best results.

It really is largely subjective (in my subjective opinion). I mean, I consider my G-K stuff to be pretty transparent, but it still has its own "character". I'd offer up my Eden WT-800, but it has a preamp tube.

For me, it's probably easier to think of brands which are the *least* transparent, such as SWR and Trace Elliot.

JMO, which is most likely wrong. ;)

3. larryelwood

larryelwood Supporting Member

Yes thanks for helping narrow this down a little. So restated, Any opinions on or preferences on Bass amps with the least amount of coloration or Signature in a solid state head, and least amount of coloration or signature in a tube head.

Thanks for your help!

4. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper Supporting Member

Carvin bx500, bx1200

Markbass LM series or f series

Tecamp puma

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Baer Amplification
    All depends on your idea of "flat". If you are talking about "knobs at noon" flat, then you need to look at amps that don't engineer a preset EQ into the preamp, of which there aren't many. The other option is to not worry about your knobs and instead look for an amp that will let you achieve an optimally flat response by dialing out the built in EQ. Always difficult IMO, due to the fact that the controls on the front panel are usually not designed with the exact same frequency centers and bandwidths used to create the built in EQ in the first place. My preference is to use a flat preamp with a flexible EQ section. Bass Gear Magazine is a great resource, as they are the only magazine I know that even bothers to take a few measurements and show you what the preamp looks like with everything set at noon.

7. jibreel

jibreel Supporting Member

Acoustic image hands down. However, as others say, no necessarily a good thing.

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    +1.

And definitely the Glockenklang Heart Rock.

9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If you dont mind the Pre/Power rig a channel strip can be very uncolored.

10. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    +1 on the BX1200!!

11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

another +1`

12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Carvin amps.

Loads of eq control but really no baked in signature sound of their own. Some would consider that sterile or lifeless. Others see it as a blank canvas on which to paint.

13. Jarrett

Jarrett

The BX500 is the most truly flat amp I've playing in 20+ years. If you turn the contour knob to the flat setting, it's pretty much flat. I dig mine.

14. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

I really love how neutral my B1500 is, but I also really like how warm it feels/sounds when I start pushing the drive way up there.

15. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

6 mo. old thread. OP, did you find what you were looking for?

Not to derail (although probably inevitable) what is your tonal goal, or reasoning behind seeking a "neutral sounding" amp? Are you trying to get the sound of your bass as if it was plugged directly into a FOH system that has been analyzed to its room, or just into something that sounds like you are direct into a power amp? Just curious as to how you define 'neutral' and why.

Raz

16. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration

TecAmp Black Jag 900.

17. chadds

chadds

Your bass in the case, latches latched, gets you the most pristine sound. :)

18. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    my JGR pre, thru the Pre-EQ out, is about as close to the naked sound of any bass Ive ever had, and I can get real real close with the EQ engaged.

19. reddavid

reddavid

Euphonic Audio iAmp is very clean.

20. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Do you mean neutral as far as frequency response, signal to noise, dynamic response, distortion rating, or...? Those aspects are typically not all achievable at the same time, and the frequency response is highly affected by the room too.

Just for the heck of it I went out of my way to build a tube preamp with the flattest response possible, and it had no tone controls at all. Here is an actual measurement of frequency response:

[​IMG]

Frankly, it didn't sound completely neutral to me, even with that curve. My old Carvin BX-500's curve, measured at the EFX send with all EQ at noon and contour all the way down, is below. Definitely didn't sound completely neutral to me either, nor did my old EA or AI amps. That's not to say any of them sounded highly colored or bad in any way either though. ;)

[​IMG]

21. lo-freq

lo-freq

Millennia TD-1 Preamp/DI into any good quality power amp.

Pristine & transparent would be the adjectives I'd use for their sound (just ask tombowlus).