1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Most "Nickel Like" Stainless Steel String?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by R Baer, Nov 25, 2012.

1. R Baer

R Baer Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Baer Amplification
    Looking to brighten up my Nordy VJ5 with a wenge board a bit. I really prefer the sound of nickel strings in general, but this bass could really use a little zing to the upper mids and top end. Tons of low and mids, so that's not a problem. Are there any stainless steel strings that are a bit warmer sounding and still have the mid range growl that I like from nickels?
    Thanks
  2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    What about a Nickel-Iron alloy string... AKA alloy 52...

Thats in the middle.
  3. R Baer

Disclosures:
    So, the alloy 52's are brighter than a standard nickel, but still have that nickel quality to the mids?

Sounds like it could work. Just came across your site, so I''ll get it a try. Are you online only, or is there a physical shop? I'm in that area all the time.
  4. R Baer

Disclosures:
    Also another question for you, as I may want to try stainless on there just to see how it works out. What would be the warmest sounding set of nickel strings, if there is such a thing?
  5. Catbuster

Catbuster

Hm... Sadowsky blues or DR Hi-Beams
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I would recommend lo riders over hi beams
  7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    You can walk into our shop. I have 8 of the same bass with different types of strings so you can try Alloy 52 / stainless / Nickel etc...
  8. Catbuster

Catbuster

They're a little darker, but a lot ballsier IMO
  9. johndough247

johndough247 Supporting Member

Since you said your bass has good low end response, I think the Fodera Victor Wootens would be best; they have great highs and high-mids for nickels if you don't have a problem with lower tension strings...the Sadowsky Blue Nickels are also pretty good (not as bright as the VW but close) and come in the more common string gauges (I'm using those right now on my Sadowsky PJ)...as for warmest nickels: DR Sunbeams are pretty mellow, TI Jazz Rounds have a very "broken in" tone right out the pack, for better or worse...
  10. johndough247

johndough247 Supporting Member

Which of the Alloy 52 sets do you prefer tonally between the La Bella and the Everly? Do they feel substantially different from each other in terms of tension?
  11. R Baer

Disclosures:
    I can't say that I'm much of a string connoisseur, but I feel like I could go with something brighter than the stock Dunlop strings the Nordy comes with. My bass has an alder body and wenge fretboard, so the lows and low mids on this bass are quite big, compared to the top end. I'm thinking that switching to a string with a little less booty and a little more zing up top, might just even the tone out a bit.

I used to use R. Coco's some years back on my Pedulla and always felt they are the best sounding strings out there, but they are quite expensive compared to most strings out there these days.
  12. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

This.
  13. maurilio

maurilio Musician/tech at Mo's Shop and Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    Hey Roger, I would try Hi-Beams if you want more zing, less booty and the feel of nickel.
    I use them on my bass and like them VERY much!

M
  14. bassgrooves2

bassgrooves2 Supporting Member

The LaBella 52s are quite nice and are the strings I'm currently using on my Carvin B5. They really filled out the tonal range nicely on this instrument and have the great nickel feel that i love.
    Haven't tried Everly
    And of course I got them from bassstringsonline.com because I have found no better selection and the service is top notch!
  15. iiipopes

iiipopes

Yes. I've used GHS Progressives on my Rick 4002 for going on twenty years now, and I agree. For me, since my perspiration eats nickel, they also last longer.

CircleK strings also advertise as being a nickel & steel hybrid string that is reputed to have similar characteristics. But they have way more nickel, to the point of making the fingers of some testers' fingertips black.
  16. gary m

gary m

Take a look at Pyramid's stainless rounds...they're pretty lively in the top end.
  17. joelb79

joelb79

Alloy 52 is more magnetic than Steel or Nickel so a bass strung with them has higher output.
  18. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

If you generally like nickel but are looking for more top-end zing, you might try some GHS Progressives. They're very bright, but still not "clanky", which some SS strings can be to me.
  19. WJGreer

WJGreer

Have you talked with Pete Skjold about his nickel-steel hybrid strings? I want to say they're stainless steel with a nickel alloy coating, but whatever they are, they're pretty bright for a nickel.

I usually have them on the red bass I use in the video review on his site.
  20. Toptube

Toptube

Progressives are great! They aren't quite as warm in the mids as most nickels (but they aren't "scooped"), they feel very smooth, have really great/usable top end, and the lows are probably the tightest I've ever found.

*they do feel higher tensions than most, though. It may be a good idea to drop down a gauge.