1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Most of Sublime Songs old Reggae Covers???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by feet_, Feb 6, 2007.

1. feet_

feet_

got a hold of a amatuer compilation album
    called

Rewind Selector.

had Sublime songs that morphed into the original reggae songs half way through.

can this be true.?
    there was 20+ tracks too.

:meh:

Eric Wilson still is awesome tho.

boo yaka boo yaka
  2. allanmac00

allanmac00

I don't know about that particular album, but many of their songs are covers. They do a great job with them, but they cover/sample quite a few tunes.
  3. feet_

feet_

Heres the Track listing

Tracklist:
    01) New Rewind Selector Intro
    02) Decendents -> Sublime (Hope)
    03) Grateful Dead -> Sublime (Scarlet Begonias)
    04) Sublime -> Toots and the Maytals (5446)
    05) Bob Marley -> Sublime (Do it Twice/Boss DJ)
    06) Bad Brains -> Sublime (House of Suffering)
    07) Peter Tosh -> Sublime (Legalize it)
    08) The Melodians -> Sublime (Rivers of Babylon)
    09) Bob Marley -> Sublime (One Cup) -> Bob Marley -> Sublime (Judge Not)
    10) Bad Religion -> Sublime (We're only Gonna Die From Our Arrogance)
    11) Half Pint -> Sublime (What I Got)
    12) Bob Marley -> Sublime (Trenchtown Rock)
    13) The Vandals -> Sublime (Ball and Chain)
    14) The Toyes -> Sublime (Smoke Two Joints)
    15) Barrington Levy -> Sublime (She's Mine/Saw Red)
    16) Sublime -> Peter Tosh (Steppin' Razor)
    17) Bob Marley -> Sublime (Jailhouse)
    18) Sublime -> Pinchers (Bandelero)
    19) Minor Threat -> Sublime (Minor Threat)
    *20) Sublime -> Bob Marley ->Sublime -> Bob Marley (Guava Jelly, This Train, Cornerstone Medley)
    21) The Minutemen -> Sublime (History Lesson Part II/Waiting for My Ruca)
    22) The Ziggens -> Sublime (Big Salty Tears)
    23) Fishbone -> Sublime (Party at Ground Zero)
    24) Sublime -> Frankie Laine (Rawhide TV Theme)
    25) Original Cartoon Theme -> Sublime (Hong Kong Phooey TV Theme)
    26) Sublime -> Bob Marley (Zimbabwe)
    27) Falling Idols -> Sublime (Falling Idols)
    28) Don Carlos -> Sublime (Pass me the Lazerbeam)
    29) Sublime -> Dee Dee Warwick (Foolish/Crazy Fool)
    30) Sublime -> Bad Brains (The Youth Are Getting Restless)
    31) Sublime -> Tenor Saw and Buju Banton (Ring the Alarm)
    32) Sublime -> The Specials (DJs -> Message to Rudy)
    33) Sublime -> Horace Andy (Dub Medley 2 -> Elementary)
    34) Sublime -> Frankie Paul (Get ready -> Are You Ready?)
    35) Bob Marley -> Sublime -> Bob Marley -> Sublime (Hammer)
    *36) Sublime -> Camper Van Beethoven (Lassie/Lou-Dog Went to the Moon)
    *37) Sublime -> The Descendants (My Age)
    *38) Sublime -> Half Pint -> Sublime -> Half Pint (Cost of Living -> Level the Vibes)
    *39) Sublime -> George Clinton and the Parliament (New Song/Atomic Dog)
    *40) Sublime -> The Temptations and the Supremes (STP -> I Second That Emotion)
    *41) Sublime -> The Champs (What Happened?/Tequila!)
    *42) Sublime -> Eric Monty Morris (Little District)
    *43) Sublime -> Mudhoney (Farther I Go)
    *44) Sublime -> Winston Reedy (Romantic Girl)
    *45) Sublime -> The Doors (Cisco Kid/When the Music's Over) This horn dubbed over in this song is from Guru's (Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal=G.U.R.U.) Jazzamatazz called "Introduction"...a little extra info for you. ~Lou
    *46) Courtney Melody -> Sublime (A Ninja Me Ninja)
    *47) Sublime -> UB40 (Johnny Too Bad)
    *48) Camper Van Beethoven -> Sublime (Eye of Fatima)
    *49) Sublime -> Born Jamericans (Warning Sign)
    *50) The Descendants -> Sublime (Loser)
    *51) Richard Pryor -> Sublime (Have Your Ass Home by 11:00 -> What I Got)
    *52) Sublime -> Red Hot Chili Peppers (All You Need/Fight Like A Brave)
    *53) Half Pint -> Sublime (Winner Takes It All)
    *54) Sublime -> Pato Banton (King Step)
    *55) Sublime -> Bad Brains (I Love My Dog/I Luv I Jah)
    Last Track) Brad and Miguel Acappella Outro
  4. Robynator

Robynator

Yeah, I've definitely noticed their using bits and pieces of or covering whole old school reggae songs, and it is done well. It is almost like they are paying respect to the originators of reggae music...
    Where did you get hold of this album?
  5. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

they deffinitely quote a lot of artists and songs in their songs, but i feel liek sublime always did it ina way in which they were honoring the original artists and peope that inspired them as opposed to doig it ina way to profit by stealign music. if you check out any sublime documentaries or interviews, the thank a lot of those artists and are open about emulating them and being influenced by them. they also did collaborations and played shows with a lot of them, especially the lesser knwon reggae and dub artisst as well as thelate 80's and early 90's underground thrash punk artists.
  6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Yeah, HELL yes he is!
  7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler Supporting Member

You forgot "Smoke Two Joints" which was a Toyes song from the mid eighties. :D
  8. bassist15

bassist15

I know live they did alot of Bob Marley and Toots and The Maytals songs. No Woman no Cry (Marley) 5446 thats my number (Toots). ERic Wilson is awesome no matter the style. Great grooves
  9. feet_

feet_

if you got bit torrent its pretty ez to find

ya im not knocking Sublime
    They're live albums are tight, when you know who is on point
  10. Afrokid

Afrokid

i found this out a while ago...most of their songs are covers...its kinda sad since no one knows that santeria is cover of an old reggea bands song. kinda sad how they didn't give any of those bands credit either.

i remember when i first researched this, cus i was listening to it in my car while driving my mom somewhere, started playing their greatest hits cd, and my mom is singing half of the songs when she hasn't even heard the band before...quite entertaining.. (my mom is from Jamaica btw)

and if u call stealing peoples music, whoring it out, giving no credit, and taking all of the money for it respect....lol...just lol....
  11. feet_

feet_

ya when i found out.
    it was like when i found out WWF Wrestling is fake.:crying:
  12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler Supporting Member

WWF is FAKE? :eek: :eek: :eek:
  13. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Yeah i also remember them quoting old school chili peppers in one of their songs. Its a shame i don't remember which chili peppers song it was, or which sublime song it was in! :rollno:
  14. Floating teetH

Floating teetH

How closely are the originals related?I know about Scarlet Begonias and Summertime, maybe a couple more, but I thought most of that stuff was original.
  15. pkhcky11

pkhcky11

Is there anywhere to get this torrent stilL? I cant find it anywhere..
  16. Jonyak

Jonyak

led zepplin never did this...:smug:

scarlett begonias, is different from the original with a whole new section added.

they do call it dub for a reason.
  17. Rats

Rats

This is the text info file from the rewind selector website.
    http://rewindselector.bwlng.com/RSText-07-10-07.doc

Download the full Rewind Selector here http://rewindselector.bwlng.com/Rewind Selector.zip
    ================================================

Rewind Selector

Heidi Sigmund Cuda on Rewind Selector: “...I love the fact that Sublime ‘robbed the hood’ and made everything their own. I went to Jamaica after I wrote the book [Crazy Fool: Portrait of a Punk] and heard Toots and the Maytals for the first time (really heard them) and discovered just how far Bradley took everything. He left all the clues behind for people to figure it out on their own…”

Rewind Selector is an album that is loved or hated. Some people cry foul over the liberties that Sublime took in their sampling and mixing of sounds. I am not alone when I say that I love it. The “rub-a-dub blender” that is Sublime shows that they were a sound creating machine, extremely prolific, and diverse in musical taste. They certainly had their own sound and were able to incorporate music that would otherwise be dichotomous (Minor Threat  George Gershwin).
    The type of question I hate to hear is “What bands sound like Sublime? Ever hear Pepper, O.A.R….?” That is the wrong perspective and only leads to following derivatives of music, simplifying music to pop-Sublime – any band with a crooning voice and a taste of surf-guitar. It’s far more important to ask “What bands did Sublime sound like?” – which will move you up in your musical knowledge and broaden your chance for discovery. Rewind Selector attempts to rewire the biggest fans of Sublime into bigger fans of music, teaching them where Sublime got its roots, and hopefully finding several more favorite bands for each person who takes the time to listen.
    Rewind Selector is more of a project than a bootleg. It began in the 90s by a guy who went by the moniker heLTa on the Sublime board at www.skunk.com. There were 14 tracks including a track by the Vandals covering Sublime’s “Ball and Chain.” True, that track is out of place, but I respect the original creator of this album and have left it in intentionally through the years. Thanks must go out to many who helped and many who researched. In particular, Sean (aka Agent4TwentyR) compiled one of the most detailed lists when everyone around him was just thinking to themselves “Wow, I recognize a lot of Sublime songs as partial covers or full of samples.” Without him, I wouldn’t have had the energy to knock out all of these tracks. The 36 track and the 56 track versions of Rewind Selector were made by me in 2000 and 2001. A million times I told myself that I would eventually create many more and had made lists of some as I came upon the originals. Unfortunately, I spent more time linking the songs and noting similarities than actually creating until Vince messaged me and offered to do some of the leg work. I taught him how to merge the tracks to make them sound like the ones I had created and he took it from there. Without him kicking me back into gear, these tracks may have been left on the shelf. Extra special thanks to Juhani over in Finland for supplying some of the rarer tracks -- even from vinyl -- for free.
    The cover art is my original, composed of 104 pieces of album covers, each representational of one or more songs that were covered or sampled. They are not necessarily all on the album, but they are used in some way by Sublime. The large version is for printing while the compact version is for use in iTunes’ Cover Flow.

-Matt Maguire

Do you have the most recent and updated version of this supplement?
    This was updated on July 10th, 2007 (RSText-07-10-07.doc).
    Always check http://www.myspace.com/rewindselector for the latest!

2. Loving / What I Got (Half Pint)

This song may be the perfect example of what made Sublime so good at what they did. What I Got was a world-wide sensation and is still the song that gets requested every first day of summer. Few know that it is a medley of direct influences, and when I say influences, I mean DIRECT influences. This track spells out the origins of the hook, but no one can say it is “copied”. It is thrown in a blender, chopped up, and born anew with a completely different spin. It’s seasoned with a little bit of Lady Madonna by the Beatles (find that track and sing “Lady Madonna, children at your feet/ Wonderin’ how you’ll manage to make ends meet” and then break into “Got to find a reason, reason things went wrong/ Got to find a reason why my money’s all gone” and you’ll see some musical genius that your local DJ hasn’t ever noticed), folded in with some Fugees lyrics, and given a classic reggae feel to be that perfect summer treat.

3. Get Out! / The Lemon Song (Led Zeppelin)

Led Zeppelin loves to sue the pants off anyone who profits from a track with any bit of their song in it, hence this song was revised and re-released. If Sublime paid royalties to every song sampled in this song alone, they would probably be paying $5 for every copy of 40oz to Freedom sold. Luckily for the creators of this album, not one cent will be paid for this track from listeners, so we won’t be hearing from their legal army. Cue Cadillac commercial.

4. Scarlet Begonias (Grateful Dead)

This song is a straight cover for the “hippy ****s” around the world. It seems that Sublime can rarely entertain one musical influence in their covers, so the sound is completely different and some original lyrics are thrown into the mix.

5. Don't Push / Wake the Town (Tenor Saw)

I wouldn’t say that Sublime mainstreamed reggae for the alternative charts because what they created was so different. However, their influence by and obvious respect for reggae led so many people who would have otherwise passed the genre over to appreciate it and listen. They at least “told them reggae music was on the loose.”

6. One Cup of Coffee / Judge Not (Bob Marley)

These are Bob’s third and first recordings ever, respectively after being signed by Leslie Kong in 1962. After his trip with his father to Jamaica, Brad delved past the “Buffalo Soldier” and “Redemption Song” hits of Bob Marley and absorbed the whole catalog. Hopefully for his love will be passed on to a few readers/listeners who will also find some artists with which they can be obsessed.

7. 54-46 That's My Number (Toots and the Maytals)

Toots is in his 60s and still performing like a beast. Look Toots and the Maytals’ tour up right now and go see one of the most energetic shows around while you still can. Probably the second most famous reggae group to come out of Jamaica during the era of Bob and the Wailers, Toots and the Maytals are reggae and ska legends that grabbed Bradley’s attention with this song about Toots’ prison number for drug charges in Jamaica. For those of you who don’t know, Toots is not a small act – just listen to Punky Reggae Party by Bob Marley where he mentions the band.

8. Steppin' Razor (Peter Tosh)

Music from Jamaica is not all peaceful and pot-related. The music grew out of poverty (hence its simplicity) and violence. Steppin Razor was written by Joe Higgs and sung by the Wailers, but Peter McIntosh made it his own in his seconds solo album. It matches his personality which is defiant and quick to fight – a stepping razor. This was not an uncommon persona to adopt in the slums from which he came, Trenchtown of Kingston, Jamaica. I believe this is the first song I mixed when I expanded upon heLTa’s first version of Rewind Selector. The lawyers of Joe Higgs got wind of the success of Sublime and the use of the song, however, and sent a letter that seemed almost threatening, casually noting the murder of Peter Tosh which can be seen in the Everything Under the Sun booklet. “Send money, etc.”

9. Roots of Creation / Mi Believe, Summer Holiday (Yellowman)

Roots of Creation was on the EP Living in a Boring Nation, a line from the song. The original name was a derivative of that line; on the Zapeda tape it is listed as The Boring Song while on the same tape Ebin was originally titled Ebennz Change to completely set the song apart from the man who originally wrote the music, Eben Sterling… These lyrics found there way into a few songs, including Slightly Stoopid’s Fire Shot. Trivia: name the guest bass player on Slightly Stoopid’s self-titled CD (Prophet). Answer: Bradley James Nowell.

10. DJs / A Message To You Rudy (The Specials)

The Specials are an original ska and reggae band that were trailblazers in the United Kingdom during the decline of punk rock. They have many great songs worth checking out such as Rat Race, Pressure Drop, and Ghost Town (used in the opening credits to Shaun of the Dead). The group is surprisingly predominantly white.
  18. Rats

Rats

11. We're Only Gonna Die For Our Arrogance (Bad Religion)

For a dose of rebellion and politically charged lyrics, Sublime looked toward Black Flag, the Descendents, and of course, Bad Religion. Consequently, Sublime’s version included some illegal samples of the 1976 movie Network and they had to reprint 40oz without the “I’m Mad as Hell” rant, but that version is very fitting and you should do your best to track it down. The speech is included nearly in its entirety on another Rewind Selector track.

12. Dub Medley II / Elementary (Horace Andy)

Horace Andy is known for roots reggae, singing about religion and social issues. This song finds its way into various live songs as a musical interlude that many people assumed was Brad scatting freestyle. Oddly enough, Horace Andy’s projects have included working with Easy Star All-Stars on Radiodread, the group that did the reggae Pink Floydd album Dub Side of the Moon.

13. Falling Idols (Falling Idols)

Basically a version of this surf-rock song on speed, Sublime’s Falling Idols was a tribute to one of their favorite bands. As you can see in the tracklist they covered them often, but this song is one that they actually played live very frequently. The original is a completely different thing from Sublime’s punkier rendition, but it is a great summer listen, nonetheless.

14. She's Mine / Saw Red (Barrington Levy)

Punk rock grew from ska which grew from reggae, so as dichotomous as these two tracks are (emphasized by some hasty mixing) it is only natural for Sublime to create a punk rock song from what was slow and sultry. I would not like to hear “that’s obvious!” from the fanboy crowd, but for those of you who don’t know, this is a Sublime and No Doubt collaboration. Sublime collaborated on Total Hate that can be found only on a fantastic No Doubt CD, Beacon Street Collection. Grab that album now that it’s in reprint.

15. The Ballad of Johnny Butt (Secret Hate)

Sublime was very aware of every local band and Secret Hate was the band next door. They grew out of Long Beach, California, and were popular with the underground punk scene. Eric Wilson often uses the Secret Hate middle finger symbol in his signature which can be found on the cover of the CD where this track originated, Vegetables Dancing: Live and More.

16. Rivers of Babylon (The Melodians)

Keep in mind when you listen to a song here that Sublime was directly influenced by, that song may not be original itself. The Melodians are a reggae group, and like many reggae groups, their lyrics heavily borrow from the Bible. Crack one open and check out Psalm 137. Some versions are verbatim; some are variations on the same theme (as with any passage of the Bible due to thousands of iterations of translations):

1 By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept
    when we remembered Zion.
    2 There on the poplars
    we hung our harps,
    3 for there our captors asked us for songs,
    our tormentors demanded songs of joy;
    they said, "Sing us one of the songs of Zion!"
    4 How can we sing the songs of the LORD
    while in a foreign land?

17. Diseases / Greatest Hits (Michigan & Smiley)

There are certain songs that are obvious influences of Sublime, but without looking at the band’s record collections, it is impossible to know which came first for them. The guitar riff is identical, but through my research on this particular reggae influence I met a man who has developed an entire thesis upon this song/riddim. His name is Wayne Marshall and after several emails back and forth in which we helped each other understand this trend better, he had this nugget of wisdom: “…I quite agree, as is true for the reggae (and hip-hop) tradition more generally: understanding someone's influences doesn't subtract from their ‘originality’; rather, it enriches one's sense of their distinctive voice.” This is part of the idea of Rewind Selector as a project. Please check out his paper on this famous riddim: http://wayneandwax.com/?p=137
    And please also check out Yellowman’s Zungazungazeng.

18. Jailhouse (Bob Marley & The Wailers)

Again Brad mentions the ’89 Vision, but this time he uses it in proper context with “we didn’t fuss or no fight” line. Please see the paragraph on 89 Vision for an understanding of that phrase. Sublime anglicizes the hell out of Bob’s Jamaican lyrics, but the message of standing up against oppression remains.

19. Romantic Girl (Winston Reedy)

There are many live versions of this song and I love them all. The energy Brad gives each line is the epitome of what Sublime represented for many. In this version Brad gets so immersed in the music in his mind that he starts singing to the crowd or to the sky or to himself, but leaves the microphone behind momentarily, completely lost in the song.

20. Eye of Fatima, Part One (Camper Van Beethoven)

Often underrated and rarely imitated, Camper Van Beethoven has been around and is still somewhat around today. This is one of the groups that I have not had the time to really check out myself, but I hope to get past the first few tracks that I enjoyed. There is only so much time per day that can be spent listening to new music and appreciating old music.

21. 100 Weight of Collie Weed (Carlton Livingston)

Sublime paid tribute to the marijuana-friendly mentality that comes hand in hand with most reggae music. See also, Smoke 2 Joints, Legalize it, and others.

22. Dr. Wu (Minutemen)

Yes, Steely Dan originally sang this. Listen to both Steely Dan’s and the Minutemen’s versions and decide for yourself which Sublime copied. With their use of “Minutemen loops” in mind, I made a decision in this case and didn’t pick Steely Dan.

23. Steady B Loop Dub / Bring the Beat Back (Steady B)

The name of the track makes it obvious enough, but most Sublime fans don’t listen to a great enough variety of music to recognize that Steady B was a famous rapper from the 1980s. You probably won’t hear anything from him now that he’s in jail for life for his role in the murder of a female Philadelphia police officer. He and Will Smith took very separate paths, it seems.

24. Loser (Descendents)

This song is from some original punk, but now is almost cliché as the poster song for teen angst rebellion against social norms.

25. Seed / Mr. Moto (The Bel-Airs)

The Bel-Airs are that kind of great old surf rock similar to the Ventures (a far more successful band). The fact that Seed contains the guitar of a 1960s band transformed to a hard solo helps illustrate the depth of Sublime’s influences, and emphasizes what everyone who has heard Doin’ Time already knows: their influences were not limited to contemporary sounds.

26. Right Back / Mix Up, Mix Up (Bob Marley & The Wailers)

I always thought that there was a cover of lyrics in this section of the song because of his backup-singer style high-toned “Holiday!”, but I expected to find my answer in a Motown track from the Supremes or the Temptations. The general rule should be: check all reggae music first, then move on to other genres.

27. Pawn Shop / War Deh Round a John Shop (Wailing Souls)

This song is generally true to the original, but it’s missing that Atari-like ping sound. I have heard some speculation that Brad chose the lyrics “pawn shop” because he frequented them, selling the band’s gear and his guitars. I can’t be sure of that reason for the lyrics, but Heidi Sigmund Cuda’s Portrait of a Punk does mention that he did as does Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations.

28. Little District (Eric "Monty" Morris)

Eric “Monty” Morris is old school reggae, the era of Jimmy Cliff and other early sixties reggae artists. He isn’t well known, but he and others represented Jamaican music at the 1964 New York World Fair.

29. It's Up To You / Wrong Way (The Specials)

Message to You Rudy is an obvious tribute to the Specials, tacked on to the end of DJs, but the Specials were extremely influential to all of music at the time Sublime was listening to them, so it is no surprise that you can find clear bits of borrowed lyrics, tempos, and rhythms from the other songs.

30. Smoke Two Joints (The Toyes)

In the words of Miguel in the Thanks Dub, “that song Smoke 2 Joints was jacked from the Toyes.” The lyrics in the original are fairly different, so please check it out.
  19. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Well said
  20. Rats

Rats

31. A Ninja Mi Ninja (Courtney Melody)

Although Sublime covered this song fully in unreleased work, the bassline is used in the studio version of Garden Grove at the end, mixed with samples from Linton Kweski Johnson’s Five Nights of Bleeding.

32. Minor Threat (Minor Threat)

Don’t let the rage fool you, Minor Threat is a straightedge band – hell, they invented the phrase straightedge. A very good explanation can be found at , summarized in these words: “[The US punk scene] was brought to a new level when, instead of singing about the naughty, naughty government and how unpleasant everybody is, Minor Threat's frontman, Ian MacKaye, chose to write songs about the pressures of youth culture. In the underground scene of Washington DC, he watched as kids mindlessly developed drug habits, beat each other up under the influence of excessive alcohol consumption, and sold their lungs to tobacco companies. He wanted out [and wrote Straight Edge].” Sublime may have liked the music more than the message, but here are those lyrics:

I'm a person just like you
    But I've got better things to do
    Than sit around and **** my head
    Hang out with the living dead
    Snort white **** up my nose
    Pass out at the shows
    I don't even think about speed
    That's something I just don't need
    I've got the straight edge.

33. April 29, 1992 / Shook Ones Pt. II (Mobb Deep)

The live police scanner recordings were obvious “samples” to all, but the line “As long as I’m alive I’m gonna live illegal” was not unfamiliar to many either. Mobb Deep’s album The Infamous was a huge hit in 1995 and Shook Ones Part II had plenty of radio play. The use of popular contemporary music in April 29th, 1992 follows the trend that samples and covers are not meant to subtly build up Sublime’s own songs, but are used to pay tribute to any form of music they had on repeat in their cassette decks.

34. Big Salty Tears (The Ziggens)

This track originally used the wrong version of the Ziggens’ song. Vince has been very organized and detail-oriented and insisted we switch out the original Rewind Selector version for this one. If you have the past one, great (it’s a collector’s item!), but this one is better. Thanks to Vince for having pride in his work and in mine. He has also been the second set of eyes reading for typos, misinformation, and just general ******** from me in this supplement, so if you find anything we can blame him. But seriously, this project was gathering dust on the shelf for a while – I had done plenty of work on it, but only with some real pressure and assistance from him was this possible. Thanks Vince. Also, this song is the influence for the line in Wrong Way.

35. New Song / Atomic Dog (George Clinton)

These days every college student knows George Clinton, but he has been around a long time and has been very prolific. Atomic Dog is his most popular song, but check out Bop Gun with Ice Cube and several others.

36. Pass Me the Lazer Beam (Don Carlos)

So many of Brad’s tangents into obscure reggae and ska are labeled as freestyles in other songs or interludes of live songs, but this track, after the Pass Me the Lazerbeam influence seems to be mostly freestyle. Angelo might have more lyrics off the top of his head, but even then he breaks into Salt-N-Pepa:

-- Angelo --
    no time for funny games
    that ain't even why i came
    baby i'm in love
    to you i'm just another brother under the club…
    BJN

-- Do You Really Want Me --
    do you really want me, baby
    let me know
    cuz if you really like me
    I suggest you tell me so
    got no time for silly games
    that ain't even why I came…
    S-n-P

37. Ring the Alarm (Tenor Saw / Buju Banton)

Not to cause any unease, but did Christina Aguilera use this song as a direct influence in Dirrty? I could say she should be respected a bit more for that, but instead I’d rather just say that Jack Johnson covers Garden Grove and Ring the Alarm together in one mix, live. I assume that is because he heard Sublime do Ring the Alarm (otherwise he would have played it on its own) and that means he has some Sublime bootlegs. Respect to that.

38. What I Got Alternate / Round 6 (Prince Jammy)

This sample does not include any music from the original track, but the music is actually very important. If you listen to the drumming, bass, guitar twangs, and even the reverb on the keyboard, it all exists in Sublime songs in one way or another. This song could be confused with a Sublime jam session if it was mislabeled.

39. Foolish Fool (Dee Dee Warwick)

Dee Dee Warwick is not to be confused with her more famous older sister Dionne Warwick despite the similar style and vocals. This Grammy nominated song was her most famous and is another example of music outside of the realm of reggae and rock that Sublime absorbed as an influence.

40. Saw Red / Bandelero (The Pinchers)

This seems to follow the path of taking a reggae song (She’s Mine) and making it a punk song (Saw Red) and then taking that song and bringing in reggae influence from a different group (Bandelero). Love it.

41. Johnny Too Bad (UB40)

This song is originally by the Slickers, but Brad says “Remember that song by UB40” and as a result I picked the second version.

42. Let's Go Get Stoned / Rebel Without A Pause (Public Enemy)

Sample rewind track on Let’s Go Get Stoned; which do you choose?

a) kickass rap track by Public Enemy
    b) oldie but goody song by Ray Charles
    c) vulgar gangsta rap about, um, “…Splash!” by Niggas With Attitude
    d) just the first, but mention the others in a text supplement

43. The Hukilau Song / Freeway Time In LA County Jail (Don Ho)

I have been collaborating and collecting for more than 8 years to create this album, and it seems like every week I learn something new. Ezra Nuite emailed me saying that her brother lived in Hawaii and he would always sing lyrics from Freeway Time in LA County Jail but said it was a Hawaiian song. She didn’t know the track or artist, but with those key lyrics (“I throw my net out into the sea”) I was able to search for that string minus Sublime and found Jack Owens. This is hugely popular and I’m sure millions have sung it and found the connection to Sublime, but it wasn’t until recently that I made the discovery. It is always a pleasure. Jack Owens was inspired by a Hawaiian hukilau thrown as a fundraiser for a burned-down church. He wrote it and recorded a very old and very basic version with a ukulele, but Don Ho popularized it. Brad’s voice may match the 1948 crooning version best, but we made the choice to use Don Ho’s lounge-style. Check out the original here: http://www.rogerowenspeanutman.com/mp3s/jack owens - hukilau song sample.mp3

44. Real Situation (Bob Marley)

I have a promo disc for the box set that was for the promotional parties and was two discs. This version had some more pre-audio that was cut from the final version of Everything Under the Sun and came UNCUT from the tail end of the EUTS New Realization. There is literally a ten second pause where he sips his drink before going right into the album version of Real Situation. That’s some talent.

45. Sour Grapes (Descendents)

Sublime’s departure from covering all of Milo Goes to College – during their studio time in Austin, Texas they recorded many studio tracks of songs they never played live: Prince of Sin (Falling Idols), Vocab (The Fugees), What’s Really Going Wrong (Matt “Chicken” Willy), etc.

46. Rawhide (Frankie Laine)

One of at least two TV themes that Sublime covered, Rawhide is found on the original pressing of 40oz to Freedom, but had to be removed. It could then be found as part of The Missing ****, an mp3 collection of the tracks that were cut for the second (legal) printing of 40oz to Freedom. The show was a bit newer than Cisco Kid, but in the same pre-60s era. The taping of this song cuts off abruptly, even on the CD.

47. STP / I Second That Emotion (The Temptations & The Supremes)

The original song was by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles but was covered by The Temptations and the Supremes only a year later. This version is the latter, by the collaborative of two already-proven, huge Motown groups.

48. It's Expected I'm Gone / Get Out! Remix (Minutemen)

Get Out! is one of those tracks that could have its own mix disc it has so many direct influences. The aim for this disc is variety and musical breadth, so this track had to be included multiple times. What other song can you name that takes from a 1970’s female R&B hit (Clean Up Woman by Betty Wright), an educational children’s program (Four-Legged Zoo from Schoolhouse Rock), a drum beat that is looped, and a bassline from the group that does not allow anyone to sample their work (The Lemon Song by Led Zeppelin)? There are nearly a dozen direct influences in this track. If you listen to the first pressing version, the rap about Sublime mentions “Minutemen loops” referring to this drum beat.

49. Doin' Time Eerie Splendor Remix / Green Eyed Lady (Sugarloaf)

Eerie Splendor Remix was a posthumous version, but whoever came up with the mix of Sugarloaf’s bassy synth-organ may have had Cisco Kid in mind; its use reminds me of the Doors sample.

50. Cisco Kid / When the Music's Over (The Doors)

This horn dubbed over in this song is from Guru's (Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal=G.U.R.U.) album Jazzmatazz called Introduction, the voices are obviously from the old television show Cisco Kid, and the organ is the Doors’. Throw that together and you have a very creative and surprisingly listenable song and Brad’s favorite on Robbin’ the Hood.