1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Most reliable combo..help!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Phenomoron, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Phenomoron

Phenomoron

Hi there,new member here.My name is Ronnie and I'm going back to gigging for the first time in over ten years.I live in Ireland and have a Mexican fender jazz.
    I have been doing serious research on amps and everywhere I go each amp has negatives!I was hoping that there is a relatively good valued amp with sound and reliability to match.
    So throw some info my way and help a bass player back to life :)
    Many thanks.
  2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

How much are you thinking of spending?
  3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

The old Peavey TNT-115 bass combo amps were built like a tank and very reliable, and (I think) they should be available secondhand in Ireland.
  4. Phenomoron

Phenomoron

I was hoping between €250-€400.
    I was offered a b200r for €280 second hand Chinese model but read to many horror stories.I was looking at getting a 115hp ampeg 220watt but again a lot of complaints.Then I spotted the peavey 300 watt....I just don't want to spend money on a combo and not be heard!A friend of mine suggested the genz Benz shuttle,lightweight with loads of power but I can't find a price.
  5. Linnin

Linnin

and what style of music?
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Wattage is not what gets the volume you need for gigging, speakers are. So, whatever you do, if it's a combo amp you buy, be sure it's capable of adding an ext cab. Many won't. Most Peavey's will.
  7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Combos are OK for what they are but separates are much more versatile.
  8. Phenomoron

Phenomoron

Blues/rock mainly linnin
  9. Phenomoron

Phenomoron

....and mainly small to medium venues
  10. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

I don't know where you're getting the info on Acoustic but mine has been reliable. It's a B200 with the 1X15 cab which is basically what you are looking at only in stack form. It is good for what it is, a very basic amp on the cheap. I have no doubt that I will eventually upgrade but for now, it gets the job done and should be loud enough for the venues you'll be playing. I can also second Peavey, that stuff is built like a tank. Try to get one of the newer models with higher wattage and invest in a set of casters for it cause it's heavy! I lugged an old Peavey TNT 115, which I believe was all of 45 watts, all over the south back in the late '70's and it held up well. Congratulations on getting back in the groove!
  11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I think the OP was talking about the Ampeg B200r.
  12. Phenomoron

Phenomoron

Cheers guys,what about the peavey max 115 II?
    Seems an awful lot of amp for cheap...keep them coming and thanks again for all your valuable imput
  13. deathsdj

deathsdj Supporting Member

Get a Peavey. Loud. Bullet proof. Sweet sound.
  14. Linnin

Linnin

OK, 1)Bass Combo; 2) Reliable, 3) Loud enough for live blues/Rock in 4) Small & Medium Venues in Ireland, all for less than 5) 400 Euros.

What is available to you, new, for 400 Euros or less? Have you played/auditioned some combos in music stores and made any A/B comparisons?

You may have some excellent options that are unavailable to us here in America.

The new Peavey Max II series isn't getting a lot of traction with little to no word of mouth opinion either good or bad. Still worth an audition if it is available to you in your price range. Since you ask, have you played through one yet? I haven't.
  15. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I had a GK700RB/115 combo for a good long time and it was a ROCK. Sold it to my buddy who plays bass, electronic drums and keys through it. Built like a tank with a 15" woofer, tweeter, pullout handle and wheels... Good stuff.
  16. Phenomoron

Phenomoron

Few peaveys are available and ampeg ba115,
    Heading to shop today to try some out.The peavey max series hasn't got much attention it seems?Fender rumble maybe??
  17. Phenomoron

Phenomoron

Ok so I've been offered a new 115hp 220watt for €530 or a Eden 150watt
    Thoughts please
  18. Phenomoron

Phenomoron

The guy in the shop said that peaveys are crap!
    Looks like the 100watt ba 115 as ill be going through PA system anyway.
  19. Ironbar

Ironbar

20. Linnin

Linnin

Phenomoron, I'm a BIG fan of Fender gear especially Rumble bass amps & combos. Do take a good listen to both the 150 and 350 combos as they are both excellent choices. They sound great and are extremely reliable.

I have a Rumble 75 that I use for personal practice, but also routinely use for restaurant and winery gigs in a jazz duo with a guitarist. For full rock band gigs in bars I use a Rumble 350. Plenty loud with plenty of power and headroom to spare. Tone for days.