Most ridiculous price you've seen on strings in a store?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by therhodeo, Dec 30, 2013.

1. therhodeo

therhodeo

$82.99 on a 5 string set of Chromes. :eek:

2. lazarusdoom

lazarusdoom Supporting Member

dont remember the exact price but it was around $60 for a fender nps 5 string set. guess it pays to be the only store in town. not too mention trying to sell most everything else @ full retail. :rollno:

3. tmdazed

tmdazed

gig in a small town years ago , I broke an E string and forgot my pack of freshies i had , left them at the house, 75 bucks for a set of 46-102 dean markley blue steels from a mom and pop music store in the middle of nowhere. bit my tongue and bought em , played for strings that night

4. Milk

Milk

Wow.

I have to say, I haven't bought bass strings in ten years. I've boiled old sets twice and was given some once. I tend to dread getting new strings for both the price (i'm poor and 30$ is a bit of a hit on the wallet) AND the fact it takes like two months before they're usable tone wise. I need to buy some now though because i broke a string for the only time in 17 years of playing right before leaving for the holidays.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Did you ask them why they cost that much?

7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Wow, I thought I had this locked up until I looked at the posts so far. A couple of weeks ago I went into a store for flats. The only ones they had were Chromes (not my flat of choice). They were marked $52 and the guy offered to sell them to me for $40. Compare that to $25 from bassstringsonline, and it's pretty bad. But ya'll have me topped for sure.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Can't answer the OP but I just saw an ad here with someone asking $135 more for a used bass than I just bought it for brand new. And it wasn't any killer deal I got on it either. Was available to the whole world for the same as I paid. Just had to vent, and I know I can't do it in that thread, so I did it here :). I'm going to start a personal list of people I will never buy from, and note why.

9. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Many of these places will need to offer a lot to compete with the online options.

Back in the 70s bass strings could easily be $20 a pack. That was a lot of money back then.

10. Zenon

Zenon

On the contrary, one can at this very moment purchase a set of D'Addario EXL170BT Nickel Wound Strings for $ 12.99! Not bad for a quality product...

11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    $59 for a set of DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams. When I told the clerk that I could get them for $30 at Guitar Center, he threw the package on the floor and said "Go to Guitar Center". That was 12 years ago and I have only been back to that store once since then.

12. therhodeo

therhodeo

I used to buy at a shop that had a deal where you had to buy the first set at nearly full price and your second set was a much much reduced priced and it worked out to where you got Musiciansfriend pricing but you had to buy 2 sets to get it. They were a great shop with great service so it never bothered me.

13. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Was that the store out on the State Road? I think it might have closed by now?

Brick and mortar stores need to offer something you can't get online if they are to survive.

Throwing a pack of strings on the ground isn't going to cut it going forward.

14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    It was Music Unlimited in Kingston, Mass. They recently closed the Hanover, Mass location.

15. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

I really thought I had this one in the bag until I saw this. That is crazy! A local place once had Ernie Ball regular nickles for $35 once. Honestly, looking at these other posts I'm no where near the top.

16. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I once paid $45.00 for a set of nickel Lowriders, at a mom-n-pop shop. I knew I could get them cheaper elsewhere. I felt like I was helping keep the store open.

17. Systolic

Systolic

$109.99 for a set of La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats at a local store! I told the front counter guy that they were nuts for that price. He told me that he needed to reprice them to $84.99 because they've been sitting for a while.

They also wanted for a $64.99 for a 5 string set of DR High Beams.

18. Troph

Troph

Gouging on "incidentals" like strings and cables are a notorious way to boost store profits by exploiting people who need them right now.

19. djaydjay

djaydjay

126$ (CHF115.-) for a set of DR DDT (5 strings). I ended up buying them... but not in that shop :p

20. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

My local store sells daddario XLs (the only bass string they have) for 35$. LMAO.

I just payed 27$ for a set of Rotos at a different local store and I felt that was 7$ too high but I had a gift card for 30$.

21. marko138

marko138

Local guy here wanted $46 for DR high beams. Not happening.