1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Most ridiculous thing happen to you at a gig?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by D4NK, Feb 21, 2013.

1. D4NK

D4NK

I know that there is some real gold on this topic out there.

The only one that comes to mind for me is; One time me and my band were playing at a venue in downtown Orlando. We are doing a mic check and the soundguy tells me to play. So i play a few licks and then i go into a slap groove. With a deeply confused look on his face he tells me "Play how your gonna be playin it. Either Slap bass or not". In a really doochie tone. :eyebrow: So I proceed to tell him that there are songs that i play slap bass, and there are songs where i play with jus my fingers. There are songs where i do both. Well this guy couldnt comprehend that and consequentially turned me down on the house PA. :help: Which didnt matter at all, I had my 320 watt 4x12 Hartke Cabinet. I Had the Volume at an elegantly Present level with plenty of headroom to spare.
    Gotta love sound guys! Never had the guts to actually get up there and do it.:bassist:

2. rodl2005

rodl2005

Years ago, I'd trained a best mate of mine to play keyboards in a '60's & 70's bubblegum band I was doing.
    He was/is a crazy boy.:what: & a big fella too.
    One gig, he'd gotten so loaded (amazingly he could play as well in virtually any state) that he blanked out/passed out in the middle of "Quick Joey Small" & fell on his keyboard(-a DX7-heavy! ) which fell into the back of my legs, putting my left knee outta joint & causing me to fall forward off stage into crowd on the dance floor. My mic was found 100' away at the back of the room.
    I came to with ppl crowded round me, their faces in mine, yelling "give him air" with their beer breath :( :D
    Ppl thought it was a great addition to our set.:eek:

3. D4NK

D4NK

Haha excellent! This is what im talking about!!

4. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

A guy grabbed a pair of scissors from the bar, cut his tighty whiteys, and threw them on stage at my drummer. This was after a solo he did. My drummer jumped off his kit and nearly sprinted at the guy to knock him out, but the drunk stated that he felt it was his way of throwing panties on stage. My drummer wasn't happy when streaked underwear landed in his lap.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Raymeous

Raymeous

A long time ago, in a galaxy very very near.....

I was in a 5 piece hard rock band where only three of us (me on guitar, the other guitar guy, and the vocalist) had ever performed live before. Drummer and Bass guy (great player) were dealing with the butterflies by drinking. The band had been together for maybe two months and we played our first show.

The first song in the set started off with solo drums laying a cool foundation before that guitars and everything come blasting in. Our drummer being tipsy from waaaay too many beers prior to playing ends up launching a stick about 2 bars into the intro. These weren't just any stick, but an Ahead 2b metal cored bat (similar to what Lars uses) that flew across the room and caused a dudes glass to explode and splash beer everywhere.

Nobody died, and no fist fights erupted although it was tense for a few moments, but having an entire bar, even a small one, laughing at you really messed with our drummer. He was off more than usual, but by the end of the night we muddled through and left quietly.

Interesting gig to say the least.

7. lowendrv

lowendrv

I got laid once....lol

8. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

I got offered sexual favors by a girl attending a bachelorette party. She was the bride to be getting married the following weekend. I politely declined.

We played the wedding. Awkward. The groom was drunk and hugged me at the wedding so hard that I nearly broke in two. He invited me to come to a cookout when they got back from the honeymoon. Once again I politely declined.

So I guess that's the most ridiculous thing that ever happened to me a TWO gigs.

9. pasta4lnch

pasta4lnch

Nothing too crazy: I was a fill in for a wedding gig. I was told to not show up later than 4:30 in a very firm manner. Cut to 4:45 no one there. I don't even know the name of the wedding party. My one and only contact isn't answering his phone. So I'm freaking out on the phone w/ my mom when all of a sudden a peacock w/ a hotdog in it's mouth calmly walks past me:eyebrow:! That was about the last thing I could have possibly expected to happen at that moment.

Turns out the venue keeps exotic birds on the grounds and it was dumpster diving. Gig went ok, I got paid!:smug:

10. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

I had a gig in which two unfortunate and one fortunate thing happened. I was using a house amp and the head caught fire just as I was walking onto the stage, I think some douchebag had fiddled with it during his set. So after putting out the blaze I used someone elses amp. Then midway through our set our drummer broke both his sticks at the end of a song, He had a spare pair but then one of them went flying out of his hand in a fit of snare drum rage at the beginning of the next song. Our vocalist caught it in midair and gave it back to him. I don't think we could have done that again if we had tried.

11. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Told this several years ago - but worth repeating. My Jr. High band was playing at a swim club circa 1965. Only 1 electrical outlet in the place. It's located five feet up the wall and several feet from the band's set-up space. Of Corurse, the enevitable happened. Right in the middle of Good Lovin', somone inadvertently trip and pulled the plug out of the wall. Keyboard, rhythm guitar, lead guitar, bass guitar and vocals all went silent. The drummer was doing an unplanned solo! I quickly ran over and plugged us back in. We then continued and finished an extended version of Good Lovin'. A great catch by the drummer. The Young Rascals would have been proud. :cool:

12. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

In an old band I was in, I played guitar, and the bassist was a drunk and a pot head. We happened to get billed for a show with a national touring act that was sponsored by jagermiester. So, we are all pretty soused by the time we hit the stage, but the bassist had taken it up a notch by continuing to drink during the set. At one point we got asked to stop so we could all take a shot of jager and do a crowd participation thing where we have the crowd drink with us. We have our drinks in hand, everything is fine, singer has everything under control, right as we start to toast, bassist yells, "DRINK YOU F***ING P***IES" at the crowd. Well, that got awkward. Two ladies in the front were offended, everyone's drunk, and we are a bunch of cocky 20-somethings in a semi successful hard rock bands. So the drummer threw his shot at me, all over my face, arms, hands, and Gibson les Paul. The bassist took his shot and launched the glass across the room. The singer tried to take his shot but the offended ladies threw a couple beers at him that landed on his pedal board, soaking the whole thing. I proceeded to use my guitar to shoot at the ladies like it was a shot gun. It was pathetic. None of us remembered this, but someone got it on video and showed it to us. I don't know that we would've believed it had there not been any evidence.

13. D4NK

D4NK

I remember i played a show at one of the dirtiest bars id ever been to, and the only light in the entire bar was the light coming off of the jukebox. There were maybe 25 ppl there, all of which were mainly members of other bands playing that night. Needless to say it wasnt a very good show.

14. keiththebassist

keiththebassist

So wait, why do we even play bass again? I'm so confused now :D

15. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

That's a pretty good gig around here....

16. D4NK

D4NK

I remember playing a show at this place called the hustler in Ormand Beach. And there was this reggae band supposed to go ahead of us. Well they did and not only went over their slot time but proceeded to drive any and every patron out of the bar with their repetitive groove and cliche' riffs. I never seen such a hoppin vibe squashed out so quickly and thouroughly. It seems like 80% of "reggae" (basically white boy dance hall reggae, definitley not roots reggae . I like to call it Reg-Gay !) are a bunch of self righteous untalented d bags!!! Love the genre but seriously there are so little artists that are genuine about it. I see a lot of sublime wanna be's out there.

Sorry to rant but yeah that made me mad.

17. D4NK

D4NK

I played a festival at UCF a few years back GreenWaves was the name.
    For the show they had house amps n set n mics n the whole shebang. Jus bring your own guitar. (Which i wasnt thrilled with, i spend all this time working on my tone on my amp, and now i have to start from scratch on the fly with sum equipment i dont have a good feel for.) so we play and right away i can tell that the sound guy put a distortion effecton my bass, which may hav sounded decent for the first song since it was hard rocking. But the 2nd song was definitley alot chiller so it sounded foolish. What an idiot thinking i onlyplay one style of musicthe whole time. What a rookie!!! I hate useless soundguys.

18. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I was singing for Slash (yup) at a gig in Hollywood. Band was just a quick put-together, no rehearsal. The bassist and guitarist, PER SLASH's GUITAR TECH's INSTRUCTION, were tuned to Eb like on the original G&R recordings. First thing that happens, is the drummer insists that we play Slither before the G&R and solo album tunes, saying he had OK'd it with Slash. He hadn't. We start playing Slither, Slash starts playing Ghost. Ouch. He looks at all of us, with this painful expression, and clicks on his tuner to drop to D. Rest of that song went well. Then, after we play Ghost, the guitarist and bassist switch to their Eb instruments. Slash once again clicks on his tuner. We start playing Paradise City, but when Slash came in, he was totally out of tune from the rest. He had tuned back to standard. He flashes a grimace at us, then his guitar tech, then retunes. After that it went ok, but that was a hell of a way to support a world famous guitarist. I still remember the look on his face and crack up.

19. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

years ago, we are playing our regular gig at '... on the river'. and yes, the venue borders the river. and the river borders another nation. we are asked to play past our afternoon end time and into the evening since there is a large crowd.

in the last 20 minutes of our set, a few individuals try to cross the river from their nation into ours. as they are swimming across the river, a border patrol truck pulls up into the grassy area behind the stage. several agents disembark, and a couple of them dash across the stage while we continue playing.

the swimmers, having made it about 2/3 of the way across the river, reverse course and successfully return from where they came. a short while later, a border patrol boat cruises past. as we load out, a helicopter patrols overhead.

20. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    We had one guy get naked ,slap one of our bumper stickers over his privates and then proceed bump and grind with any female he could get near. You can't buy advertising like that.

21. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

Had a new moment today, but it wasn't that ridiculous, just a bit of a win. So I had a gig tonight with a decent sized audience. Midway through a song my wireless set started crackling. I had had a problem with this before but forgot to change the offending wire. So I kind of deserved it. Luckily a little bridge was coming up with a drum and bass moment so when it came I ripped the wireless set off and pulled my cable from the back of the unit and plugged it into my bass. The drummer and guitarist had noticed my plight and had a little bit of a solo while I was doing this quick turnaround and we ended up getting some applause for it. I don't think I could do it that smoothly again if I tried.