Most transparent 700W - 1000W amps on the used market

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by swamp_bass, Mar 9, 2014.

1. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

So I've left the loud band I was practicing with, and landed in an even louder situation with the Jolly Green Giant as a drummer. Today I had to turn up my Little Mark II past 2 o'clock for the drummer to hear my hydrive 410. I'm loud enough, but I'm pretty sure I'm running out of headroom and I'm pushing the amp harder than I like to on a regular basis.

I've spent the better part of today using the search tool and reading reviews on the multitudes of amps available out there, and then polling the interwebz to look at pricing and availability.

Unfortunately for me, most of the reviews are in terms of: vintage tone, growl, roundness, tube emulation fat bottom end, and everything else I'm not. I'm a freak who likes an amp that's transparent, with just enough tone tone control to handle different sounds and different rooms. I don't want built in tone.

The obvious solution is to get a more powerful Markbass, such as the LM 800. But those cost a small fortune, and don't come up used very often.

From what I've read, the most transparent seem to be:
    Hartke, Markbass, Gallien-Krueger, TC Electronics, and Carvin.

The cheapest power for the buck appears to be the Hartke LH1000, but it's really scarce on tone control (I prefer at least 4 bands to work with), and it doesn't have an input gain control. Of the Class D amps, I like that the PF800 has headphone out, but from what I've read it has a very distinct tone built-in even when the tone controls are set neutral (thought there might be a standard setting to offset that?)

So the questions are:
    1. Which of the 700W - 1000W amps are the most transparent?
    2. Of those, which are the best values on the used market?

I'm leaning towards Class D, but if the gap is on the order of $300 I'm willing to cart around a boat anchor in the name of cost savings.

I know the standard answer for more volume is a second cab, which in this case would be another Hydrive 410. But that's a lot of cubic feet to transport and I don't have an SUV.

Thanks!
  2. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

Not really transparent as in uncolored, but it is crazy loud and lets your bass' personality come through: GK MB800.
  3. swamp_bass

Looks like a nice amp, compact, powerful.... and $700. I don't see these used anywhere. This may be the pricepoint I'm at, but I'm hoping for something that's been around long enough to let a bottom feeder like me pick up a good bargain. For instance, Portaflex 800's can be had for under $500.
  4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

My Carvin BX1200, which is the SS version of the later model BX1500 (class D) is VERY clear and punchy with gobs of power. It has two amps that run either 2 x 400w with a pair of 4 ohm cabs or 1200w bridged into a single 4 ohm load. Great head with all of the EQ options you could ever want plus a built in compressor which works very well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. swamp_bass

Thanks for the input. I don't see the BX1200 for sale anywhere, but the BX1500 runs for $499 new and in general used Carvins seem to come up on the market frequently enough that I'm likely to snag a hot deal on one.
  7. kpc

kpc

You already have the 410. Why not the hartke kilo?
  8. swamp_bass

The only thing standing in the way is a thousand smackaroos.
  9. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Add another cab.
    This is more noise than higher wattage.
  10. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Have you considered the GK 700 or 1001rb heads?? Very powerful with plenty of EQ and voicing options.
  11. swamp_bass

This is like when the doctor tells you you have to exercise. And you don't want to exercise. The only two ways to add a cab to my 410 is the TB way (another 410 just like it), or the brochure way (a 115), both of which are the same weight and bulk that won't fit easily in my vehicle along with the rest of my equipment.

Here's a pea-brained plot: If I can find a couple of Hartke Hydrive 10 speakers and build a 16 ohm 210 to slap on top of the 410. That should give me a nice boost, right?
  12. swamp_bass

The GK 700 has less power than the LM II I'm already running. The 1001RB doesn't give that big of a bump in power from my current amp.
  13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Had a show and tell with another TBer yesterday and checked out a Carvin BX500. Sounded great! I use a Markbass SD800 that I find quite transparent, you can find them in the $600 range with the backpack when buying used. I love mine and have yet to find anything to de-throne it, and I have tried.
  14. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Hartke 7000 is 350 watts plus 350 watts. Hard to.find but it has all the bells and whistles you are looking for.
  15. swamp_bass

Ok, well after a full day of reading through archived threads on amps, I think I've found the magical balance between price, power, and wants:

The Ampeg Portaflex 800.

I found one used for just under $400. I know it falls a little short of the 700W minimum I was looking for, but it's still double my current LM II which is giving me enough volume now; the extra margin will give me the headroom I want. As a bonus it has the elusive headphone jack I've been missing since I ditched the old Rumble practice combo.

As far as transparency concerns, I dug up an old nugget from JimmyM concerning the Ampeg Portaflex reputation for a colored tone:

"Great tones for any style, easy to get good sounds out of quickly, does both clean and dirty."

In the end, that's really my end goal - not to have the flattest sound for the sake of flatness, but the ability to play a diverse range of tones to cover the wide range of music I like to play.

Thanks to those who indulged me and took the time to respond to my hack of a thread.
  16. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

Genz Benz Shute 9.2. This head will amplify whatever your bass ACTUALLY sounds like. It is uber transparent.

Here is a great Vid featuring this head.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yIlY0CuP5oQ

I LOVE the transparency of my Shuttlemax 6.0
  17. seamonkey

seamonkey

You can get a new power amp putting out 1,000w for $300
    Send the Mark line out to power amp.

More cones will matter more than doubling power.
    Or spend a little more to add a powered sub and you get to keep all the tone you have now. Lows are just sine waves, tone is in the mids and highs.
  18. sunbrother

sunbrother

Carvin BX1500 or a Genz Benz shuttle/shuttlemax
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL! Hack of a thread...I've seen much worse ;)

Just got my own PF800 two weeks ago, and I still stand behind my assessment. Enjoy!
  20. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

Carvin B1500
    Susqmike likes this.
  21. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

+1