1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Most transparent pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Silens, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Silens

Silens

I'm looking for the most transparent pickups since I love the tone of my bass acoustically, but sounds like mud when I plug it in, no matter how much EQ or string changes.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

This one. It's invisible......:ninja:

Attached Files:

3. Duckwater

Duckwater

Probably a Lightwave optical system, too bad they don't sell them individually anymore.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Ha! It was a joke (obviously not a very good one)! transparent=invisible ah never mind.....
  5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Good one...
  6. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Maybe you would like piezo's? I hear they do what you are looking for although I've never played them on bass, myself.
  7. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

I think emg hz's is what you're looking for
  8. line6man

line6man

Piezo transducers would be the best option. Failing that, underwound magnetic pickups generally have flatter frequency responses.
  9. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Lace Alumitones are supposed to be the most transparent, then, given that they have one turn followed by a small audio transformer.
  10. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

If you want the tone of the instrument, you don't want the sound from the strings to come from coils and magnets- that has little to do with the acoustical characteristics of the instrument. Piezo is the way to go and it's why Barcus Berry introduced the original Hot Dot pickup for violins.
  11. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member