1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Most Useful Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jdwhitak, Feb 11, 2013.

1. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    What are the most common pedals to use on bass? Up until last week I had an Empress Compressor and a Rusty Box. While both were very good pedals I've decided to go in a different direction.

For my style of playing plus the bass and amp I'm using I really don't think I need a compressor. I have a Darkglass Vintage Microtubes on order and I have my trusty Turbo Tuner. Anything else I should consider getting? I'm only looking to have three or four pedals.

2. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    If you ever do 80's retro or early Rush you'll need a chorus. Get a cheap one from Ebay because you won't need it very often. I got a Digitech multiVoice X-series for $18. Snipin' the auction! :D

If you ever want to do a funk thang you should go for an envelope filter. There are LOTS AND LOTS of opinions here about filters.... GFL in choosing one.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    BTW, you said "for your style of playing"... it's hard to offer suggestions when we don't know what that is. Just sayin'.

5. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    Mostly rock, indie, punk and some metal. Every once in a while I'll play some R&B. I have two basses:

G&L SB-1 w/ Chromes
    G&L M-2000 w/ XL Nickels

My amp is a Genz-Benz Streamliner 600.

I thought about getting a Iron Ether Polytope. It sounds like it could do a range of modulation effects. I can't stand Funk so I will not be getting an envelope filter.

6. My two always-on pedals are the Tech 21 VT Bass, and the Aphex bass Xciter. Love them both.

7. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    Another vote for the VT Bass. I love mine. I almost always have it on.

8. Jawbone

Jawbone

Jul 15, 2010
    Humboldt County
    Not for me, but a lot of TBrs here say you always need a Octave.

9. lostinjanuary

lostinjanuary

Sep 27, 2011
    I've been using a Boss dd3 delay and a Mad Professor Blueberry overdrive. That and a volume pedal do pretty well. I would like to get an octave and maybe a tremolo for fun.

10. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    Fuzz, you can never really have enough dirt