Most Useful Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jdwhitak, Feb 11, 2013.

1. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

What are the most common pedals to use on bass? Up until last week I had an Empress Compressor and a Rusty Box. While both were very good pedals I've decided to go in a different direction.

For my style of playing plus the bass and amp I'm using I really don't think I need a compressor. I have a Darkglass Vintage Microtubes on order and I have my trusty Turbo Tuner. Anything else I should consider getting? I'm only looking to have three or four pedals.
  2. avvie

avvie

If you ever do 80's retro or early Rush you'll need a chorus. Get a cheap one from Ebay because you won't need it very often. I got a Digitech multiVoice X-series for $18. Snipin' the auction! :D

If you ever want to do a funk thang you should go for an envelope filter. There are LOTS AND LOTS of opinions here about filters.... GFL in choosing one.
  3. avvie

avvie

BTW, you said "for your style of playing"... it's hard to offer suggestions when we don't know what that is. Just sayin'.
  4. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

Mostly rock, indie, punk and some metal. Every once in a while I'll play some R&B. I have two basses:

G&L SB-1 w/ Chromes
    G&L M-2000 w/ XL Nickels

My amp is a Genz-Benz Streamliner 600.

I thought about getting a Iron Ether Polytope. It sounds like it could do a range of modulation effects. I can't stand Funk so I will not be getting an envelope filter.
  5. Luke19Boarder

Luke19Boarder

My two always-on pedals are the Tech 21 VT Bass, and the Aphex bass Xciter. Love them both.
  6. droo46

droo46

Another vote for the VT Bass. I love mine. I almost always have it on.
  7. Jawbone

Jawbone

Not for me, but a lot of TBrs here say you always need a Octave.
  8. lostinjanuary

lostinjanuary

I've been using a Boss dd3 delay and a Mad Professor Blueberry overdrive. That and a volume pedal do pretty well. I would like to get an octave and maybe a tremolo for fun.
  9. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

Fuzz, you can never really have enough dirt