Most versatile noiseless jazz bass pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by J03YW, Mar 9, 2014.

1. J03YW

J03YW

I want to be able to play everything from Tame Impala to Periphery on these mofos. I have a Geddy Lee signature jazz bass and I like it but I would like noiseless pickups with a bit more bottom and mids, however I don't want completely dead warm pickups. Right now I'm looking into Dimarzios, mostly the Model J because people seem to like it a lot and it's inexpensive and I enjoy the Model P that I threw into my Squier Classic Vibe P-bass. However, they might be too bottom oriented to me and lacking in highs. I'm really looking for a very balanced set of noiseless pickups that can provide every tone possible, which could be asking too much. Anyhoo, recommend away and thank you!
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

The Area J's are more balanced and sound phenomenal.
  3. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

Bartollini Jssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!
  4. J03YW

J03YW

The Dimarzio site makes them look more treble/mid oriented which is not what I'm looking for, but I can't find a good comparison between the Model J's and the Area J's so I can't really tell.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. J03YW

J03YW

Which onessssssssssssssssssssssssssss?
  7. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

+1; outstanding pickups.
  8. J03YW

J03YW

My only worry right now is how thin the Area J's might sound.
  9. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I have Fender Super 55 dual inline coil pickups on my avatar bass, and they sound fantastic. I originally got them as an experiment, but after hearing them, I got another set for my next build.

BTW, I found mine on ebay. The prices are very competitive with Duncans. Usually I can find them for around $70-75, but right now there is a neck and bridge pup available for about $54 each...

I looked a little farther, and there's a set available for about $80! Apparently it's a buyer's market.
  10. back as a wolf

back as a wolf

11. J03YW

J03YW

Only thing stopping me is the lack of mids. I'm thinking of parallel wired model Js at the moment.
  12. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

The area J's are very nice vintage flavored pickups although I find the Lindy Fralin hum canceling J's hard to beat if you want to spend the extra dough.

If you want a ballsier sound check out the Bill Lawrence J-45 or the brilliant but expensive Joe Barden jazz pickups.
  13. tlaubs

tlaubs Supporting Member

The bartolini 9CCBJD deep sets are nice and I also really like the bill Lawrence j-45s I had too
  14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Agree 100% on the Area J and Fralins. I use both, and the Area J's are great, but the Fralins have heavier low end with no loss of highs, and more growl and punch IMO. It's not a monumental difference and the Area J's are a better deal, but I do prefer the Fralins.

I don't know about the Bill Lawrence pickups, but I have the Bardens in my Jazz V and they definitely provide a ballsier sound than vintage voiced pickups. I've grown to appreciate them more over time. Given their design, they have loads of treble; I'm turning down my tone control just as much with them as I did before.
  15. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

The Area J's aren't thin sounding. To my ears, they're slightly darker sounding than vintage-wind single-coil J's, perhaps a little less "sparkly," if anything. They've got plenty of snarl.
  16. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    Two things, the more output you have (windings) the more the bass is perceived and less treble is heard through the bass. So maybe staying vintage output would serve you.
    Also consider stacked single coil jazz bass pickups for the noise cancelling benefit they have. I suggest looking at the Duncan STKJ1n's & b's.
  17. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

EMG they will do everything you want and more. Want more output? Run it 18volt.
  18. deste

deste

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    To my taste (my taste of the moment) Fender Super 55: a good compromise between classic (not vintage) tone and noiseless-somewhat-modern sound.
    Model J are great if you need an overall punchy sound, with fat mids. Ultra J are great for mid-scooped modern sound.
    These are just the three I have tested myself (I gave away the Ultra J, not my cup of tea), each good in its own way, and at reasonable prices.
    Then, any other folk will suggest you any other pickups...
  19. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

I like to use 500k volume pots and Fender TBX tone controls with hum cancel J pickups to get a bit more clarity when I want it.
  20. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Barts are nice, but I think they really shine when paired with a preamp. I find them a bit lifeless passive.
  21. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Model J's are loud and punchy and do not sound like a single coil Fender pickup.
    I've had a set in a J-bass since the 80's and it is really nice; kind of generic bass tone but very nice and super quiet.
    I had early J-45's with the raised pole pieces; they were good but I ended up selling them as I couldn't get the string balance right.