Most versatile Switch Options? Dual-coils

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by driftingupward, Feb 23, 2014.

1. driftingupward

driftingupward Gold Supporting Member

Hi guys, I've decided to add some switches to my bass with Bartolini Dual coils(4-wires) and an EMG active 3-band pre.

I've searched various places and I think I understand how to wire everything but I'm new to this concept and I'm trying to figure out the most versatile way to do this.

Should I be trying to do a 3-way switch for each pickup, or just one switch that controls both, or 3 separate switches with 2 controlling the pickups and the third controlling both?

On the bart instructions they give you all the different ways to wire them but they don't really tell you if each thing is something that can be used in combination with other switches or if it's an either/or type of mod.

Really I'm kind of lost here so if somebody can point me in the right direction or give me a link of somebody that explains it a little more clearly I would be grateful...

Rob

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

3. ex-tension

ex-tension

You should do it however you want. The most versatile would be seperate 3-way switches for each pickup (series/single/parallel). This will give you 9 combinations. But some people doesn't like the sound of each option. For example, if you don't like the single coil option you can use a 2-way switch and switch between series and parallel options.

See this thread for additional info:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/upgrading-bartolini-mk5cbc-pups-wiring-options-667628/

4. driftingupward

driftingupward Gold Supporting Member

Thank you ex-tension, that was exactly what I was looking for

5. Register to disable this ad