1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Most Vintage Flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Dec 15, 2013.

?

Most Vintage-sounding/feeling flatwounds

Poll closed Jan 24, 2014.
  1. Rotosound RS77 (45-105)

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. Pyramid Gold (40-105)

23 vote(s)
    46.0%
  3. Thomastik Infeld Jazz Bass (43-100)

20 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Which of these flats are the most "vintage-sounding?"
    They are all sort of "vintage'', but I can't decide really.
  2. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

I'd say LaBella Deep talkn' flats. The Jamersons are maybe more "vintage" but they are crazy high tension and the Deep Talkn' flats catch the same tone.

*EDIT* I spoke too soon. I guess the poll was not up until after I replied.
  3. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

IMO any brand of dead flats sound vintage.
  4. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

The reason I didn't list Labella's is because they don't have enough sustain IMO.
  5. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

The "vintage" flats sound = super short sustain IMO. Maybe we have different understandings of vintage tone.
  6. ugly_bassplayer

Vintage and sustain are two words that go in the same sentence when talking about flats.
  7. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

What I mean is, I want that dark woody vintage thump, I just want a tad more sustain, ya ken?
  8. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Agreed. Though for the most part I've never really cared about sustain. I mean, it's a bass, not one of them skinny stringed geetars.

I also vote for labellas, but it's not an option so I abstain.
  9. Whit Browne

Whit Browne Berklee Bass Department Supporting Member

Here's what I use for that "vintage" sound. GHS Precision Flats . Gauge .55 .70.90 1.05.
    Had them on my '73 Fender Jazz for 14 years now. I follow the Joe Osborn approach, if they sound good don't change 'em. They are really good for playing Jazz, Motown, and any old school bugaloo .
  10. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I realized that every time I have heard someone playing a bass strung with Labella's they have been either well broken in or dead.
    How are they (non-Jamersons) sustain-wise when they're brand new?
  11. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

I just learned the I have labellas on the 78 fretless P I just picked up. The have plenty of sustain and don't sound as dead as I would have assumed based on reputation. I assume then, that they are rather new.
  12. ugly_bassplayer

IF you try Labella flats I dont cut them, I learned that the hard way.
  13. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I have LaBella flats on my P-bass, and I've had them about a year and a half. They still sustain just fine. The supposed lack of sustain of flatwound strings is, if not a myth, then at the very least way overstated (IMO). And I do mainly use rounds on most of my basses, so I can make some pretty direct comparisons here.
  14. Bassist4Eris

I'm curious: why do you say that? I cut mine when I put them on, and they still sound great.
  15. ugly_bassplayer

If you cut the James Jamerson set you break the core and make the string impossble to tune or intonate.

For that reason alone, I never bought another set. To many windings on the pegs.
  16. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

What gauge?
    You know, if they are like you say then Im lucky they're so cheap; I could change them every time I play ;)!
  17. Bassist4Eris

I don't have the Jamerson set, just the regular Deep Talkin' Flats, and I crimped them before I cut them. They intonate just fine (I use a Peterson StroboStomp to do intonation). YMMV.

.045 .065 .085 .105
  18. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I use Labella DTF 45-105 for flats on my Precision. I have tried every flat out there and was a TI user forever. I have settled in the DTF. They have woody, slightly hollow (not to be mistaken for scooped) presence that is very well balanced. The high mids aren't exaggerated like on most contemporary flats, meaning you can dial it in at your discretion via EQ. They are fundamental, pure, recorded bass tone. One thing to get over is that the rest of the strings on any DTF set aside from E are typically brighter. This changes the more they break in and once they do, it's a balanced and lovely tone.
  19. ugly_bassplayer

DTF??
  20. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Deep Talkin Flats