Mostly useless but fun effect pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Dec 15, 2013.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I feel the need for something fun, maybe a Christmas present to myself ... what's your suggestion for a mostly useless but fun noise making pedal? I know of Earthquaker Devices; they have some weirdness in the form of the Rainbow Machine, Organizer and Arpanoid - do you have some other brands and pedals you want to nominate?

2. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Boss PS-3 is cool.

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

For what I'm playing lately delay is useless, but still very fun at home.

4. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

Hah! Good topic.

Wah. I don't find it very useful but it's fun to play around with.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Loopers. I've had the RC-3 and the JamMan Solo. Love playing them home, absolutely useless for me in the band I'm playing now.

7. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

Subdecay Noisebox and TAFM Year of 4545 qualified for this when I had them. Fun at home no use in my band situations.

8. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

This definitely depends on your band situation or lack thereof -- almost anything can be usable in some context.

Get an EHX Tube Zipper: it's a dirt + envelope filter that has an enormous range of tones, going from mild overdrive to self-oscillation to quacky strangeness.

9. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

Anything synth. Behringer BSY600 or Digitech Bass Synth Wah for cheap examples.

My next choice would be something like an Eventide unit, which has both usable and, IMO, unusable but fun tones. I'm thinking of the Pitchfactor in particular, but obviously the H9 would cover the same ground.

10. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

The Rainbow Machine is a re-hash of the Boss RPS-10. That pitch-shifting delay effect was built into those wee half-rack Boss units from the '80s. Gibby Haynes used one a lot. They are far cheaper than Rainbow Machines usually.

11. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Media:
    I have more than a few effects fitting this... I'll throw out the
    LAL Misty Cave. I love it... but I really have no idea how to utilize it yet.

[​IMG]

12. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

13. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

+1 to the Synth. I would add bit crushers and ring modulators to that mix. Fun in the basement, but......

14. TBAR Shane

TBAR Shane

The Bomber effect in the Zoom B3 is pretty amusing. It creates the sound of a bomb, with no variation no matter what you play. It's amusing, and definitely useless.

15. JBTucci

JBTucci Supporting Member

I just got a minifooger ring mod and i'm trying to work it into a song. I had to try it and it sounds awesome - just don't know how much I'll actually use it.

16. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

This is a bad topic for me, I'll pretty much figure out a way to sneak ANYTHING in and use it lol!

My current fav "prob shouldn't do that" pedal is my Malekko Trem. I turn both the "speed" and "depth" knobs all the way up, and stack it after my OC-2. The most fun sound EVER. Sounds like a stinkin funky helicopter!!

17. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
  18. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    I think they're discontinued, but the Ravish Sitar pedal can be pretty interesting. They occasionally pop up on eBay or Craigslist in the $400-ish range.

http://youtu.be/bi4zPDLqn9g

19. IncX

IncX

i have a dBA Robot, its a bit crusher ... and outside of my originals band, i can imagine there would be no use for it.

also +1 to subdecay noisebox... even i cant use that in my originals band, but it sure it a lot of fun making "mew mew mew" sounds.

and oh, try a Boss Synth or that Digitech one ... you can pretend your bass is a laser gun and you can 'pew pew pew' your bandmates during rehearsals. the gag gets old though.

20. the explode man

the explode man

You need to get yourself a Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter with a Hot Hand 3. I wouldn't say it's mostly useless, but it's definitely not an "always on pedal". It's very fun to play with and you can go from a "more usable" envelope to some experimental stuff with the Hot Hand. Great pedal!

21. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I just played with a guitarist yesterday who uses one (prog rock). It indeed does the job as advertised, instant sitar.