Motown fans read this...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by steve f, Feb 5, 2013.

1. steve f

steve f Supporting Member

2. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

I like this part of the description, "Heralded R&B master and multi-Grammy winner Peabo Bryson and STAX recording artist and BET-TV personality Leela James will front the band while James Jamerson Jr.-the only bass player alive who plays exactly like his father-will be holding down the groove on two dozen Motown songs."

I added the italics.
  3. NCD

NCD

Wow... I wonder if they ran that "exactly like his father" thing by him first.

I doubt it. I don't think he'd have let that one happen if he'd known ahead of time. Marketing people tend to make up whatever sounds like it'll sell the most tickets, usually without telling people first.

Now I'm almost sorry I moved from Temple Hills and now live in Cleveland.
  4. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

I wouldn't say exactly like his dad. It's hard to fill those shoes. In the moment and a persons feel has alot to do with what James Sr did. However, James Jr. is a helluva bassist. He's worth watching on that alone and not just because of his daddy.

I would love to see this. Not many of those guys left.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. backup

backup

there are a bassist that are a closer to james jamerson than jr. neither his tone nor his playing style are like his fathers. he is a killer bassist don't get me wrong but there are bassists who play more like james jamerson than he does. i dont know maybe now he is playing more like james jamerson but i remember his 80's playing style as very different from classic motown.
  7. Staredge

Staredge

Wonder how many of the Funk Brothers are on the tour.