1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mountainking opinions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Denver Max, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Denver Max

Denver Max

I've really been digging Mountainking Electronics stuff, mostly from Bendhy and Excane's youtube demos. I definitely want to pick up a Frequency LSD but I want to get something I'll get more use out of first. Looking around, I've seen people recommend the Magnetar a lot, but the one I liked the most was the Heavy Machine.

I play a mix of complicated runs and huge chords and I'd like something that can get massive without my notes all getting squishy and muddy. Something that maintains some clarity without sacrificing ballsiness. Can they both keep note definition while still being crushing? Its a little hard to tell from the video, but is there any low end loss with either of these? The Heavy Machine's price tag is a little more appealing, but I'm not sure. Anyone have experience with Mountainking stuff that can provide some insight? I can watch videos all day (and I have) but it would be nice to hear some firsthand accounts.

2. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

The Frequency LSD doesn't work well on Bass (low end loss), killer for guitar though. The Heavy Machine is great, it like a Megalith before stomping on the More Heavy switch. The sound definitely blooms a bit but isn't really muddy.
    The Magnetar probably has a bit better definition because it is gated. It is very ballsy.
    There isn't any low end loss on either of these 2.

3. kylej7

kylej7

I've got a Megalith and the More Heavy is always on. If the Heavy Machin is like the Megalith without the More Heavy option, then I'd def suggest Megalith over it. Love the Megalith.

4. behndy

behndy

they say the Megaliftah is like the Heavy Machine, i had a bud's Mega and compared it to the Heavy...... it's similar but not exact?

i had the LSD as well (i think i got that and the Heavy Machine from Deltz?), and yeah. it does some awesome stuff, but it sounds butt on bass. and not in a good way.

the Heavy Machine CAN get a little mushy if you're playing too fast into it though. at some settings it doesn't, but at the thicker tone i like there's a limit to how fast you want to go.

urrrrrrrm it's on the song Sable at the end and stacked into the B3k and Depth Charge on Kegel for Teh SQUEAAAAAAALZ here -

http://www.BloodPartyBand.com/music

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Soooooooooooooo.......it all depends.

If you're playing with a lot of guys that just do atmosphere and fluff stuff...like if you're the main one throwing down the meat of your band's sound.....the mountainking stuff is great. But if you have a rhythm guitar or just one lead but that lead likes to do throaty low chors....maybe get something you can blend some clean sound to go with it because it can get mushy.

It's awesome. It's massive. It takes over. If that's what you're looking to do, go all out for it. But if other people you play with fight you for that space.....you might bury things.

IME, the Heavy Machine is more industrial. It's got this kinda warm muffled furry thickness thing. The Megalith has that but it's a little of all that and a tad more buzzy.

Pretend all of that makes sense.

7. Denver Max

Denver Max

I'm definitely the driving instrument for the most part. My GP likes to let me take the lead and then accents what I play. I wrote a lot of my stuff intending to be played with just a drummer, but the GP is a friend and liked the stuff. So, I'm thinking the heavy machine to start. Especially with those tones on the Blood Party stuff. Mercy!

8. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    I will warn you. Behndy is a phenom. I've gotten the exact same gear sans Dingell and can't recreate his tone. I don't know what it is. Rusty Box combo or what. But every pedal sound 10X better in his hands.

That being said, I've played a plethora of fuzzes and the Heavy Machine has been the only one on my board for over a year, now. It is crunchy to the extreme. And even if it is too much....a good parallel looper and it's perfect. Every bass player should have a parallel looper. Changed everything for me.

9. Denver Max

Denver Max

I have a Rusty Box on the way now. Mwa ha ha.
    Anyways, even if I can't get close to his tone, making my own sounds is going to be the fun part. Have a Malekko Diabolik on the way too, and I'm looking at a Prunes & Custard. Trying to decide between that and a Second Voice for my crazy freakout tone.

10. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

I looooooooooooove my Magnetar. Brutal, yet synthy fuzz. The sound for it is huge! There is nothing quite like it on the market. Mountainking is one of very few builders that I could easily see myself collecting all of their pedals (aside from the LSD and PO Box). Also, I was able to try the Decomposer and it sounds exactly as awesome as Excane's demos.

Alan makes some quality gear; you really can't go wrong with either the heavy machine or the megalith.

11. Denver Max

Denver Max

Man. I need to win the lottery. I wonder how much fuzz is a too much on a board?

12. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

So, on a related to Mountainking note, I've ordered one of his Maximum Overdrive pedals! Super curious to hear how this sounds on bass since the guitar demo sounds pretty cool.

13. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Another vote for the Heavy Machine. It's a massive fuzz. Not as massive as the Megalith but it's ballsy enough for what I would want it for. I don't use fuzz for fast playing anyway, I like distortion and overdrive for those applications.