1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mounting a Schaller mag pickup

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by punkjazzben, Jan 17, 2014.

1. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Hi everyone,

I bought a Schaller mag p'up about a year ago for louder gigs - which I have plenty of - but I'm yet to find a satisfactory way to mount it.

I've found some heavy duty tapes that I wrap around the arms and then around the bottom of the fingerboard (see pic), but the tape inevitably stretches and the pickup slips off after a few hours; there is also too much give in the tape to allow for a rigid mounting (i.e. as the tape stretches, I can't get the pickup to stay at an angle that follows the line of the fingerboard, and if it's too far away from the strings there's loss of output).

I almost gave up on temporary installation and started to put the screws in when the screwhole started to split at the sides along the length of the fingerboard a few mills each way - suffice say to I stopped immediately. I doubt they would've held, anyway.

Short of buying a Krivo, which I've heard is easier to install, are there any TBers who have successfully been able to find a temporary mounting solution for their Schaller pickup? I'd like to upgrade to a better mag p'up one day, but in the meantime I need the one I've got and am getting a bit frustrated with mounting it.

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
  2. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

After looking through some other forums for solutions, including a few people who have created unsightly metal brackets and bolted them to their fingerboards, I had a look at how the Krivo is attached - 3M Dual Lock tape. So I've ordered a bit of the stuff, and hopefully it does the job. Wish me luck!
  3. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

I once had a Schaller (my first double bass pickup) and I did screw it to the fingerboard.
    But the fingerboard was dyed maple or something similar and maybe I drilled a thin hole into the fingerboard for each screw before I mounted it with the screws. Probably even more important for a fingerboard made from a harder wood like ebony or rosewood.

Never had problems with the fixation (except retightening the screws every few years) for the following 20 years (until my first bad ply bass was stolen from the basement).
  4. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Got it sorted! The first thing I did was just flip the pickup upside down so I had a nice flat surface to mount with. I don't know what I didn't think of this before, or why people have chopped off the entire bracket. The poles are adjustable, so there's no 'wrong way up' for this design.

I found a few strips of 3M Dual Lock Tape on eBay for a few dollars - it's the stuff they use to mount Krivos. I traced the pickup shape onto one side of tape and the end of the fingerboard onto another, cut them out, and stuck them on.

They snapped together nicely, and that pickup is not going anywhere! I had to make an adjustment and it was pretty tough just to pull off with my hands, so I'm satisfied the pickup won't drop off in the middle of a gig :)

1390448433037.jpg